2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had over 5 inches of rain last night and more today here in Aransas Pass. I went down to check on my boat this morning at the San Pat Navigation District Marina. All was well for me but there was a 31 foot ChrisCraft and a 32 foot boat that looked like a SeaRay that were already sunk. Another 30 foot Trojan had a severe list to starboard and definitely in danger of sinking. A sailboat and a tender both looked like they were in trouble. The Trojan and sailboat were saved. Just a reminder to keep those batteries and bilge pumps fully functional. The Coasties and GLO oil spill representative are all on the scene. Probably a few fines coming since boat sunken boats are leaking oil and fuel.

·
Registered
399 Posts
speaking of San Pat harbor, not to hijack your thread, but my boat was broken into last week and 14 rod and reels were taken. I filled out the police report but had no hope of getting them back. The Aransas Police called me yesterday and told me they had gotten my stuff back ! Seeing how we are usually criticizing the cops for no arrests, it is only right that I say how grateful I am to them . Thanks APPD for a job well done !

·
Registered
199 Posts
I was wondering about that. sure isint good thats for sure. I tried to call my brother in law who lives in corpus to find out anything but he didnt answer I guess he was still at work. good luck to yall hopefully it will end soon.

·
Premium Member
23,848 Posts
There's a serious design flaw in any boat kept in the water that sinks because of rain. An open boat like a tender is different, but an in the water boat shouldn't take on water during a rain storm.

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
One way to prevent massive water intrusion during a storm is to duct tape down your hatches and use the tape to bridge the gap between the hatch edge and the deck. This allows water to run out the scuppers, instead of potentially draining into the bilge.

On a related note, if you choose this course of action, remove the duct tape promptly after the storm.

Take my word for it that, if you don't promptly remove the tape, it takes roughly a year for the UV rays to degrade the adhesive left from leaving the tape in place for a week or so in the hot sun in, for example, mid September.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
There's a serious design flaw in any boat kept in the water that sinks because of rain. An open boat like a tender is different, but an in the water boat shouldn't take on water during a rain storm.
If you have an offshore boat and it gets down-flooded by a hard rain you have a serious problem of some kind. I mean come on, your offshore boat is supposed to be able to handle a rogue wave, right? You have scuppers and drains, right? If the engines are running you might be able to handle three inches of water on deck, right? You shouldn't be getting flooded in between decks at the stern, right? You have a primary and emergency hi-vol bilge pump system, right?

Yet somehow, most boat sinkings are right at the dock. Serious, it's like over 80 percent. I have no idea why, just happens.

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
If you have an offshore boat and it gets down-flooded by a hard rain you have a serious problem of some kind. I mean come on, your offshore boat is supposed to be able to handle a rogue wave, right? You have scuppers and drains, right? If the engines are running you might be able to handle three inches of water on deck, right? You shouldn't be getting flooded in between decks at the stern, right? You have a primary and emergency hi-vol bilge pump system, right?

Yet somehow, most boat sinkings are right at the dock. Serious, it's like over 80 percent. I have no idea why, just happens.
Its easy walk the docks u can see so many just sit might get used a handful of times a yr. Same deal here on the lake they go out put their new stickers on it to keep the TPWD happy and then dont come back for another 2 yrs. sad2sm

·
Premium Member
23,848 Posts
I am not picking on anyone, so don't think I am, but...

One way to prevent massive water intrusion during a storm is to duct tape down your hatches and use the tape to bridge the gap between the hatch edge and the deck.
My hatches have drains, and fairly substantial ones at that. I don't have any pics right at hand that show how they work, but all hatches leak. That leak should be into a drain overboard. I have spent time on board my boat when it was really down pouring with rain, just to observe where it went. As posted, though, maybe it's a brand thing. Henriques builds some bulletproof designs.

·
Registered
399 Posts
the boat that crossroads was talking about is a 26 ft i / o carver , not really an offshore boat . Owner is a truck driver that is gone for long periods. I suspect that bilge pumps quit or maybe ran batts down. If he had any leakage around hatches he was taking on a considerable amount of water. I had two 5 gallon buckets in my cockpit and it filled them almost completely. 11.75 inches of rain in less than 24 hrs

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I really couldn't tell what kind of boat that was in it's sunken state. The issue I have seen here is boats that get so little care that the cockpit drains are clogged with leaves, bird feathers, and all sorts of stuff. There was a lot of rain and it came down fast. None of the "maintained" boats had a problem that I could see.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As far as stolen rods, I haven't seen or heard of any boats being broken into, the police patrol that area quite often. Pretty hard down here to pawn 14 offshore rods/reels with the limited amount of pawn shops locally. The only solved rod theft case I know of was at HEB where typical out of town guys leave a bay boat with 6-8 rods sitting in the rod holders while doing a little shopping. In this case the bad guys were caught red handed putting the rods in their pickup because a cop was at HEB for a shoplifting event. The bad guys were two fishermen down here from Austin! Not the typical stereotype drug addict thief.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I am at E 18 in the San Pat Harbor. My thief is the stereotypical crackhead , druggie, stealing A-hole. At least he was stupid enough to pawn them in AP and Ingleside, this is his fourth time if he is convicted, maybe they can send his sorry butt away for awhile

·
Shrimpin' Aint Easy
937 Posts
I havent had anything stolen but someone popped 2 or 3 three locks on the A side (bay boat side). Not sure what went missing, someone also stole my ropes a while back. I always got a different boat in my slip though, dang freeloaders!! haha. (A side)
Checked out the 38 bertram on the other side with my friend, all was good.

capt mike, Im pretty sure thats probably the same herion addict that stole my friends trolling motor. They found it at the pawn shop by the old pizza hut.

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
I havent had anything stolen but someone popped 2 or 3 three locks on the A side (bay boat side). Not sure what went missing, someone also stole my ropes a while back. I always got a different boat in my slip though, dang freeloaders!! haha. (A side)
Checked out the 38 bertram on the other side with my friend, all was good.

capt mike, Im pretty sure thats probably the same herion addict that stole my friends trolling motor. They found it at the pawn shop by the old pizza hut.
What is up Drew.

My boat is parked there too but in the shop all summer. It will be completed shortly.

I had my tires flattened once but nothing stolen.

·
Registered
44 Posts
One way to prevent massive water intrusion during a storm is to duct tape down your hatches and use the tape to bridge the gap between the hatch edge and the deck. This allows water to run out the scuppers, instead of potentially draining into the bilge.

On a related note, if you choose this course of action, remove the duct tape promptly after the storm.

Take my word for it that, if you don't promptly remove the tape, it takes roughly a year for the UV rays to degrade the adhesive left from leaving the tape in place for a week or so in the hot sun in, for example, mid September.
For what is worth: Duct tape glue residue can be easily removed with WD-40 and a little time to let it soak. Then you just scrape up the glue.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts