2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
This space for rent
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got me 5lbs of stemmed, cut turnip greens yum! but I also got about 20lbs of turnips hmmmm.

I'm not a huge fan of turnips but I'm hoping I've never had them properly prepared. I'm asking my 2cooler brain trust for your best method of cooking a turnip.

thanks!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Never tried fried either---but sliced/ boiled, diced and cooked with greens, raw----. One old lady makes a turnip casserole, but thanks, I pass!

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
I like them any way but raw.But my pug will steal them out garden when he gets a chance ,he loves them...cva34

Mrs will peel and boil Do same to Taters then use ratio ruff 30/40% turnips the rest taters ...Prepare like Mashed Taters...She fools me and anyone whos over to eat all the time...cva34

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I am real late on this string....but.....I dice them about 3/4 inch square, cover with water, add sugar ~ a tablespoon, and a couple of table spoons of bacon grease. Cook til tender.

I also dice them the same way and put in soups and stews....gives you kind of a different texture and taste in them.

I hated turnips as a kid, but learned to enjoy them in my later life!! LOL

Later
R3F

·
Registered
95 Posts
Turnip Fries recipe

I have a lot of turnips and this has been my favorite and easiest way to use them up (original recipe called HillBilly Fries, posted all over the internet). My changes are noted (*) and I think the original recipe is twice the amount of this one.

INGREDIENTS:
4 medium turnips
2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic and pepper seasoning (* I used 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/3 tsp pepper)
1/2 teaspoon ground paprika (* I use smoked paprika)

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Spray a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.

Pare and cut turnips into 2 1/2 x 1/2 inch sticks. ("steak fries" size)
(* I don't bother paring (peeling) them)

In a quart or gallon-size sealable plastic bag, combine cheese and remaining seasonings. Add turnips; seal bag, squeezing out air; toss to coat turnips.

Place turnips on sprayed baking sheet. Bake about 15-25 minutes or until turnips are tender and golden. (* 25 minutes for me)

Serve with ketchup or your favorite fries condiment.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts