2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well boys after last night's loss, its another season filled with hope down the tubes. Not going to rag on any player....but it will be interesting to watch who stays and who go's. There is no way management can stand pat now. Are we going to sign top quality talent or are we going to continue being a middle of the road team?????? At least Football season is just about ready to start and baring major injuries, the Texans may have a good chance of going better than 8-8. There is a BUT factor, they do have a darn tough schedule

·
Dickinson
2,529 Posts
i unnerstand

It's not too early to give up in this era of wild-card playoff spots. That being said, this season has been a very disappointing one, except for the first month.
No, you can't point a finger at the players, but you sure can blame the management. How come one of the strengths of last years team is now one of it's weaknesses? I'm speaking of the bullpen. Last year, if the 'Stros had a lead after 6 innings, it was pretty much over with Lidge, Dotel and Wagner. Wagner's traded...Dotel's a bust and it all falls to Lidge. Let's be real...place the blame where it belongs. Gerry the Hun and Drayton McCheap have gutted one of the strengths of the team.
I just hope that, during the off-season, the team finds a way to sign Beltran and keep Berkman, Everett, Biggio and Lidge...Most of the others are way past their prime or will never be that good. Sorry Bags...you've been great, but it's over. Be a MAN and retire...Even the greatest players of all time get old...It's very sad to see once-great players keep trying (Willie Mays).

·
Registered
633 Posts
The Braves are just a hot team right now ... You will run into a win streak and the others will run into a hot team or two ,,,, This is the MBL - everyone makes a run -- hmmm -- Did I get that right ? LOL

·
Registered
674 Posts
The good guys???

Isn’t it amazing how the Astro’s can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory? Bagwell is completely washed up as a defensive player. When he can’t flip the ball 10 feet on target to throw out the runner at first base, and when baserunners on first base are taking third base on infield fielder’s choices because he bounces throws across the diamond, you gotta make a move. Cut him and let him pick up a DH role in the American League. He is finished as a NL first baseman.

Of course, the relief pitching is completely devoid of any signs of life.

Arghh!!!!!

·
Gig 'em '00
986 Posts
Frustrating

I am almost as upset about the Astros as I am about A&M football. I can not even go to games anymore.. thank goodness I was not at last nights fiasco. What a heartbreaker.
I am going to have to say that the stros need a sweep this weekend or it is pretty much over.
Should have NEVER gotten rid of Dierker. But I like Garner and believe he deserves a chance. I bet the stros end up a game or two out of the wild card and at the end of the season we can look back at blown games such as last night as why we are watching on TV instead on Minute Maid in October.

Come on FOOTBALL season.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Their only chance is if they sweep Montreal this weekend, but I don't see that happening. I'll have to agree "They're Toast".

·
Its easy to grin when your ship comes in
5,919 Posts
We are pretty much done for this year. Mathematically, we are still in the hunt, but I cannot see us getting to the playoffs with this bullpen. Weathers has been awful. I have a hard time thinking of a worse Astros pitcher. Our hitting is a joke as well. do you guys realize that we have scored NO runs in extra innings this year? Horrible!!!!

It will cost a lot, but I hope we can re-sign Beltran. Keep the core of Berkman, Everett, Lidge, Oswalt, Pettite, Ensberg together. Bring back Lamb for sure. Get rid of Kent, do not re-sign Biggio, and beg Bagwell to retire.

Spend some money on some free agent position players this offseason. It is time to retool the team.

I have had enough of Wade Miller too. That guy gets hurt way too often. I have heard it said that his mechanics are so inconsistant that he will always be injury prone. Get rid of him instead of signing him to a high dollar contract.
With $4.00 bottles of water, $7.00 beers and $4 bags of peanuts, I believe Drayton is making enough money to get some players next year. The fans have stepped up and filled the stadium this year, as well as every year since the stadium has opened. If the Astros do not make some moves this offseason, Minute Maid will be a ghost town next year.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The Astros need to do everything they can to kiss up to Beltran and Breirkman. Make them feel at home and pay them the $$$. It's do or die this weekend.
I also think the Astros PR dept need to contact some of the Hispanic radio stations to get the community behind Beltan, make him and his wife feel welcome.
Can you tell me why Kent hit that pop up in the 9th on a 3-1 count, I tought it was a bad pitch and he could have walked, then Palmerio got that single. Oh well I guess thats why he won't be in Houston next year.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Borders, language, culture
6,338 Posts
We play the Cubs 7 times this month. Absoultely must execute on those games.

·
11,766 Posts
Drayton could care less whether the team wins or loses, only that there is a fanny in every seat and the concession lines are long. Winning is just a bonus. He will give contracts to scrubs, see Tim Redding and most of the bullpen, to keep his payroll low. Then sign the Rocket and Pettitte to up the fan anticipation and fill the seats. This team is alot closer to being the Expos than it is to being the Yankees. It will be an interesting off season to say the least.

·
Registered
13,287 Posts
Beltran is hitting what - 240 - since we got him. Look at his power numbers last year. Are we really talking about paying this guy 100+ million?

Kent hit the ball hard three times last night, but just right at people. Weathers did a decent job. It was Gallo that gave up the big ining. But, when your starter goes out after one, you don't win many of those games.

The popular opinion seems to be break the bank and be guaranteed a winner. That seems to only work for the Yankees.

Look what we have added in the last year or so - Kent, Beltran, Petitte, and Clements. What have we lost - the underperforming Doggy, the loud mouth, blame someone else (including the fans) Wagner, and Dotel. I would say we are moving in the right direction.

Funny, I seem to recall we were we bounced out of the playoffs in the first round for a couple years in a row under Dierker's leadership. I have a distinct recollection that he refused to pitch around C. Jones in the playoffs and payed for it in a big way. He was also in love with our error prone stort stop. Between the two of them, they cost us moving to the second round at least one year.

·
Gig 'em '00
986 Posts
Stros

I'd take Dierker, 90-95 wins a year and a NLCS birth every time over this year.

Williams was a mistake and I think the team will pay for another year.

I do agree that the management is trying - hence Clemens, Pettite, Kent, Beltran the last couple years.... and buying a penant isn't going to work, they just need to put the pieces together. I did think Beltran might be that piece, but obviously he wasn't.

We will just have to see how the next few weeks go.

·
11,766 Posts
Weathers is the one who gave up the two run bomb that tied the game. That is not doing a decent job. You are right on on Gallo, he was and has been ineffective.

·
Registered
13,287 Posts
One earned run to a guy batting 340+ in a crackerjack box stadium. First pitch after a hurried warm up because Gallo blew up so quick in the inning. Gallo was charged with 3. Weathers 1. Weathers then pitched well.

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just got in from work, coaching staff kicked this post around all day. Still not going to dis any player right now but my assistant coach brought out a good point, he said for the most part the players are "corporate players" with no backbone. Aside from Kent's out burst with the umpire when was the last time you saw an Astro, 1.protest a call, 2.get into some kind of altercation, 3. break the water cooler 4. Just flat out show some emotion "good or bad".....that includes the manager too. With the exception of the rocket I haven't seen it.

·
Registered
13,287 Posts
Agree with that. Bergman has had some words with a couple ump.'s a while back, but I can't seem to recall anything major.

I would like to see more aggressive inside pitching by some of our pitchers (other than Clemens), especially after a homer.

I was encouraged by the two steals last night by Bergman. Think they took everyone by surprise.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Teams

Just switch to being a Texas Rangers fan and a Dallas Cowboy's fan. There is only really 2 pro teams in Texas. I'm not counting basketball, but I'll take the Mav's over the Rockets anyday.

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sea-Slug, them thars fightin words!!!!! Just remember this, WHO whipped the cowbells at Reliant stadium in their first game? I didn't hear you!!!!!!!! Jerry Jones was not a happy camper.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts