2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never shot a turkey. There are turkeys on the lease. I want one. Questions:

--What kind of gun do you use? Rifle? Shotgun?
--If shotgun, what size shot? Buckshot? BB's? What size choke?
--What range is a good range to shoot?
--Where do you shoot them? Head, Center of mass?
--Do you call?
--Do you set dekes?
--When do they show up...morning? Evening? Broad daylight?
--Can you only shoot males, or can you also shoot hens in the Fall season?

Thanks in advance. Like I say, never shot one. This is the first year I've had a lease, and when I've day hunted in the past, the owner put an absurdly high price on turkeys...

·
Deadeye McGee
3,325 Posts
turkey

I'm no turkey hunting expert but here goes;
1, both shotgun and rifle
2. fall both sexes; spring toms only
3. shotgun-shoot anywhere; rifle-head, neck or top of back-not in the breast!; use a varmint gun or 22-22, 22 mag, 17, 223, 22-250-a small bullet
4. call and decoy in spring, fall just shoot when you see them
5. you see them and they travel in a regular routine-unless someone changes it-early morning and late evening and everywhere during the day; I see lots of them from 1:00 to 3:00 or 4:00.
6. if you use a shotgun 100'+- is your range, rifle-whatever you think would provide a good, clean, kill shot
7. shotgun-I use #4s, others use turkey heavi-shot or buckshot.

Oh, by the way, they taste terrible so just breast them out and give the breasts to me!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Headshot only with a shotgun--they are tough birds and most body shots won't kill them very quickly if at all. If you can hunt during the Spring then hold off until then as it is a much more exciting hunt when calling them in.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
--What kind of gun do you use? Rifle? Shotgun? >>>>>>>>>>>> I prefer my 12 gauge and #2 shot. I have used a 223 and a bow as well.

--If shotgun, what size shot? Buckshot? BB's? What size choke? >>>>>>>>>> I use #2 with a modified choke but I dont think the choke is too big a deal.

--What range is a good range to shoot?>>>>>>>>>>> I would not take a shot with the shotgun past about 40 yards. I have shot 2 in the past beyond that and they never looked back as they took off.

--Where do you shoot them? Head, Center of mass? >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Head....I was lucky with the 223 shot and didnt mess up the breasts. The dark meat has always been too dry and tough for me so dont risk messing up the breasts

--Do you call?>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Yes...Its the most exciting part of Turkey hunting as far as I am concerned!

--Do you set dekes? >>>>>>>>>>>> Yes...I have had toms actually attack and try to mount the decoys. Its also very cool to watch 2-3 birds strutting for them.

--When do they show up...morning? Evening? Broad daylight? >>>>>>>>>>> I have had fun calling in the evening and have had OK luck but the mornings have always been the best for me. See if you can find a roost tree...Usually a big tree, big branches and lots of turkey poo under it. Get out before sunrise and set up a few yards from the tree. Set your decoys up and before the sun comes up, make a couple of clucks with your call to let them know a hen is close. They will come right from the roost to your decoys...Its a cool thing to see and hear...When they come out of the roost and you are close, its shocking how much noise they make.

--Can you only shoot males, or can you also shoot hens in the Fall season? >>>>>>>>>>>>> Toms and jakes (and bearded hens too I think) in the Spring and hens, toms and jakes in the fall (I think....check your handbok for sure. Its been a while since I hunted turkeys)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts