2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
archTech
8,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a reminder folks...don't throw away that 5-7 gallons of oil when you are done. PM me and I will pick it up from you...its all green.:biggrin:

·
Bull Frog hunter
9,276 Posts
not fryin this year sorry but what do you do with it? Run your car? Tell me more. Sounds 2Cool

·
aka Salty Nacho
4,427 Posts
not fryin this year sorry but what do you do with it? Run your car? Tell me more. Sounds 2Cool
That would be my guess. He'll either convert it to biodiesel or I've seen that you can put it straight in to the gas tank (well filtered of course) and run a diesel off of the oil itself. Not sure if this is a long term viable option, but it would be great if it was.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
New to this idea so please excuse my ignorance. Is there that much return on investment by using oil if you have to drive around and pick it up 2-5 gals at a time? I mean, how much fuel/money does it cost you to go pick up the used oil then bring it home and filter/clean it. When using the oil instead of diesel, how much do you save per gallon?

·
aka Salty Nacho
4,427 Posts
New to this idea so please excuse my ignorance. Is there that much return on investment by using oil if you have to drive around and pick it up 2-5 gals at a time? I mean, how much fuel/money does it cost you to go pick up the used oil then bring it home and filter/clean it. When using the oil instead of diesel, how much do you save per gallon?
I'm limited in my knowledge on the subject, too, but I believe most people frequent fast food establishments and haul off their used fryer oil. Quantities much greater than 2-5 gallons.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I'm limited in my knowledge on the subject, too, but I believe most people frequent fast food establishments and haul off their used fryer oil. Quantities much greater than 2-5 gallons.
Oh, I was thinking of him driving around to pick up the used oil from folks frying turkeys this thanksgiving. I just can't see that as being cost efficient but then again, I know nothing about it.

·
WHO DAT!!
3,242 Posts
Depends on what your business is. If you already in certain parts of town, a little detour to grab a few gallons would be worth it to me.

Although, driving 20 miles to get a gallon of oil wouldn't make sense, driving 20 miles to get 10 gallons would net you 9 gallons of almost free fuel. At $2.50 a gallon for diesel, that's saves a few bones.

·
archTech
8,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Given it cost me about $0.68 a gallon for chemicals to convert...I can drive a little ways to pick it up. We are also traveling around town anyways.

·
Done Wit Dat
7,538 Posts
Another thing he's not mentioning because he's too modest is that he is doing a favor for people by picking it up from them so they don't have to worry about disposing it. I've got about 5 gallons at the camp that I'll drop off at 007's place one of these days.

·
archTech
8,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Another thing he's not mentioning because he's too modest is that he is doing a favor for people by picking it up from them so they don't have to worry about disposing it. I've got about 5 gallons at the camp that I'll drop off at 007's place one of these days.
Thanks, just let me know when...I probably need to stop by and have a beer with Mike anyways...LOL!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts