2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious how many of you have heard or experienced a tunnel vee hull (ie-El Pescador, Explorer, etc.) doing a 180 degree end-swap on a turn...wondering if this is common or not.

Thanks

·
Registered
184 Posts
Someone told me that there are a number of law suits with manufactures over this but can't confirm or deny personally.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Swapping ends

I have scared the sh!t out of myself and other people till I learned better. Sloooww dooonwwn on turns. My 24 ' Pescador "oversteers" very much and will swap ends in a heartbeat if you are not paying attention ! Always use the kill switch strap ! I do not let other people drive my boat because of this, never !

·
11,766 Posts
What are some of the indications that its about to happen? I have an Explorer but have never experienced it.

·
29.42" Hg
5,238 Posts
Most of the time when this happens..it is because the Driver has forgotten to lower the jackplate after coming out of shalllow water...

I have swapped ends in my boat, as well as others.....

Actually have practiced it....
Always wear your kill switch....

·
They call me............PAWPAW!
3,020 Posts
Someone actually posted some pics of this happening a couple of months ago......seems like his dad was puttin the new rig through the paces and he was takin the pics.

Would most definitely scare the cr*# out of ya though!

·
11,766 Posts
jabx1962 said:
Where do you want to meet, and I'll show you....
If its anything like a slide I took while riding on a FlatsCat I think I'll pass. Talk about a helpless feeling. No control over the boat and the bank coming up quick. Never actually swapped ends but we went into a turn and all the boat did was slide sideways.
However it would fun to practice and scare the **** out of a couple of buddies of mine. Sort of return the favor for the Cat ride.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
I had a 22' Shoalwater V with a 150 on it and it would do it in a heartbeat if you were not careful.

To keep it from happening all you have to do is slow down, lower your jackplate some and if you have trim tabs lower them just enough to get the bow into the water. Then it turns like it is on rails and safely.

·
Registered
29 Posts
A friend of mine had a 23' Marshall V-hull and it did the "end swap" on him and his party. One of the lady guests wanted to walk the rest of the way from J hook to the fishing center in POC. Not fun. To top it off I believe it was night time.

·
Banned
896 Posts
Ends Swap

I have personally have thrown my son out of a boat mentioned in above post when it swaped ends.

Also I know someone personally, who while driving threw friend out of boat when it swapped ends, and propeller cut friend up very seriously.

Hang on for you're dear life!

No laughing matter!!!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
All of these boats will do it under the right circumstance. But in all cases its boater error. You need to know how to operate the boat correctly. I have a 24' El Pescadore and I know how to do it and how to prevent it from happening. As said before if the jack plate is all the way up and motor trim out it will happen to you. If you turn with the motor down and tucked under it is a normal boat. I also do not let anyone else operate my boat unless they understand what can happen. No different then drinking and driving or riding a motorcycle drunk.Accident waiting to happen! Be safe and always wear your kill switch.

·
Team Hi-Rev
1,721 Posts
I did it once in my explorer when I was by myself. Saw something I wanted to look at and made a sharp turn at about 30 mph and it flew out from under me. Luckily I had the kill switch on and the steering wheel and leaning post to brace myself. If you've never experienced it, there is no warning. Like everyone has said, just jack it down and slow down in your turns and you'll be fine.

·
Give it hell Remy!
42,851 Posts
Just what Mako said... I had a 22' Shoalwater until last year and so long as you lowered the jackplate to at least halfway down there was never a problem even if you had the motor trimmed out. I never swapped ends with it but I did do a 38MPH powerslide once when I first bought it... do one of those and you will never forget to lower the JP while running at speed.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Makoman1 said:
. But in all cases its boater error. You need to know how to operate the boat correctly. I have a 24' El Pescadore and I know how to do it and how to prevent it from happening..
I agree it is controllable. First time I did it was the first time I ever ran my Shoalwater. Noone ever told me they would do that. I had been fishing a 21' Dargel Skout prior to the Shoalwater and an 18' Shoalwater flatbottom prior to that so I was use to a boat sliding when you turned. Well, I go out happy as could be with my new toy and puttered around a good while in the ICW. I take off down the ICW and make a few starts and stops, a few turns, just playing and learning my new boat. After I was feeling comfortable with it I was running along and made a hard turn into a cut leading into the bay and it was sliding like I was use to then I felt the bow bite and in like .5 seconds I was facing the other way, knocked to me knees on the deck and scared totally shatless. The boat didn't come with a kill switch either so had I fallen out it would have been real bad.

You'd sure think someone would say something when you buy one of those suckers. And at that time if you checked on the internet everyone was just denying it ever happened. "Oh not in El Pescadors... not in Explorers... not in Shoalwaters" etc, etc. I am glad folks will at least admit they do it and explain why they do it now so that folks don't hurt themselves. It is just part of owning one of these tunnel Vs but knowing they do it and how to stop it from happening is important.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
basically it's a matter of not having enough of a rudder in the rear. When the front V catches it pushes the back end around unless you have enough of the motor in the water to counter act the sideways force it's going to slide. This is why jacking the motor down solves the problem. When in a tunnel and the motors barely in the water the boat starts to turn, the tunnel loses it's water and to prop and motor is basically out of the water. if you want to understand what it's like get in a Waverunner or sea doo and turn sharply. It will typically do this. one solution to the problem you can find on some of the higher HP jetskis you'll see chines bolted to the sides of the hull. These grab the water when the rear end starts to slide. It catches. The problem with them are when they catch, sometimes they can rip out of the hull...done that once....or they stop the slide so abruptly that YOU keep flying and the boat stops. Look into adding a kill switch, it's pretty easy to install. Just splicing into one wire.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts