2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live on the west end of Galveston Island and was wanting to go on a tuna trip this fall and seeing as how my bay boat just wont hang.
I was curious what the groups thinking was as far as galveston/freeport trips with say Williams in Galveston or Capt Elliots in Freeport. It seems in the past ive read that Port Aransas is better for tuna and if I have to I can drive but living right here it seems hard to justify. I understand the ride to the grounds is longer and all but what it seems I remember reading is that the galveston/freeport boats are more geared to snapper fish and not tuna. Is this the case?
any thoughts?

-Allen

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
I would go to La. and fish the midnight lump, with all the press they get over tuna , it can't be bad.

The boat ride is pretty short compared to around here.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
the lump doesn't turn on till late january or february and only last for a few months. the tuna fishing isn't very good there the rest of the time....rick

·
Registered
243 Posts
Venice is also a very expensive area to charter a boat. They charge a lot for the boat and most make you pay for gas on top of the charter fee. They do get some tuna year round on day trips around the spars, but it is hit or miss. The new Capt John in Galveston is better equiped to target tuna and will make tuna trips this fall. One thing to check is to make sure they are going to the spars e.g. Boomvang or Nancen. In the past most of the 36 hour trips out of Galveston have been to Tequila on the Texsun II.

Mark

·
Registered
408 Posts
Tuna

I have fished Venice the last three years at the end of December. First trip was with Reel peace charter and we hammered the tuna. Couple of 130# several 70-80#. Second trip took my boat and caught tuna to 100# and hooked 250# mako. Last year water had not cooled off and tuna fishing was slow - caught kingfish till we got tired of reeling them in. Consistent action begins mid to late Jan thru March. When the bite is on you will catch more than anyone should keep. Its an 8 hour drive to Venice and a 40 mile run to the lump 20 miles of which is in protected water. I personally would prefer to spend a little more booking through a local Venice charter and fish one of the prime tuna grounds than running 100 + miles out of Texas with mixed results. Boats are about 900 a day plus fuel and tip. Better figure $1300 per day. Even split with one other person its worth it. Cypress cove marine is really convenient since it is right on the dock and a lot of charters run out of it. Venice is getting very popular during tuna season. Its not to early to book now if you want to get a specific weekend. Picture of 1st trip attached. I'll never keep this much tuna again. One or two is all most people can get in their freezer.

·
Vendor
1,583 Posts
Venice is awesome, I just haven't gotten a break yet. I've been out twice, once inthe summer and once in lump season and the yft have managed to avoid me. It's frustrating when you see the boat next to you pull in a 122 and several others around 80-90lbs. Venice is definatly worth the money and the drive, in the summer you can find ACRES of tuna on the surface, its pretty crazy.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Venice Tuna

Myself and 5 other guys I met here on the board went last years and came home with 50 lbs of yf and bf filets each. We chartered Redeye charter . The captain was very good. I believe the charter was 1200 or 1300 for 6 people.

We also went this January 20 and have minimal results as the tuna had not arrived as early as previous years BUT we will go again in late February with the same captain.. We did find a great mobile home to stay in for about $30/person/ night.

If you need info on lodging let me know

www.redeyecharters.com

·
Registered
105 Posts
I did the Venice trip last year, probably the best single day of fishing I have ever experienced. Had to quit fishing at noon as no more room on boat for fish. Largest was 85# yellowfin caught on 30# line, the lightest rigg we had, took over 1 hour. Took my own boat. If I were to do it again for single day of fishing I would charter, by the time you pay for all the gas(including 8mpg towing boat 800 miles @ 55mph) tuna permit, 90# of chum, tackle, 400' of anchor line, etc., it is worth the extra for the charter. If you were there for several days of fishing, take your own boat.

We anchored as that seems the way most did. However, Peace Marvel was out there while we were and he drifted with motors running, ready to chase big ones and stay away from anchored boats. He would drift across the lump and then run back and catch the current again and caught more and larger yellowfins. I noticed they continually chummed, even when the had fish on line and at gaff. Pretty smart, he stays in the chum drift and keeps fish at the boat all the time. We saw him boat several yft that were well over 100#s. If and when I take my own boat again, I'll try his method.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, Lots of good info. As i expected venice. seems like everytime i mention tuna venice comes up.. almost synonomyous (sp) I guess its not that much farther from here than port A but my wife still freaks when i mention driving to port A to fish when we live on an island. I could only imagine what she'd do if i mentioned going to another state. It prolly wouldnt be a pretty site.
Btw, nice tuna in the pic.
-Allen

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree with the others that Venice is one of the top Tuna fisheries. You can catch Tuna off Upper Texas Coast. On Upper Texas Coast as any where it is timing, location, and presention of baits. I have fished Venice every winter for sometime and have seen bay boats at the Lump. I don't recommend it but people do it. If you fish with one of the party boats normally you will catch enough Black Fin Tuna to make it worth your time and money. Fishing Venice even in your boat is not cheap. If you are not in the oil business or fishing there is nothing else there. I would go down and talk to guys at Galveston Party Boats and get info about best times to go. If Mike Williams is around, you will find him very helpful. Party Boats also limit number of fisherman that go out on these trips. For a first time Tuna trip save your money and take a party boat. If you like it invest your time and money cause I think it is one of the best type of fishing you can enjoy. BE WARNED BLUE WATER FISHING IS ADDICTIVE!!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Info on Port A Winter Tuna Fishing

Hey guys, I thought I'd chime in about Port A Winter Tuna action. The wife and I just moved up from Corpus area to Freeport area. I fished the last couple of winter Tuna seasons out of Port A. We had good luck chunking with pogies at Southern (mainly the rock). Several party boats out of Port A are fishing for Winter tuna and the run is about 35 miles out. The main catch is Blackfin tuna which are fun to catch on light stuff. The occassional Yellow fin is caught but it is hard to target them. Two years ago on new years day there was about 15 - 20 boats working an area with each boat catching an occassional catch. We stuck it out longer than the rest and as the final boat pulled away the tuna turned on. We were able to chum the tuna to the surface and that is awesome if you've never experienced it. There was three of us aboard and we put 11 or 12 in the box and then just decided to feed them. I'd suggest Port A as there is good accommodations (might even be able to earn some brownie points but dragging the wife along to shop while you fish!). I'm fairly new to the board and should be able to answer the Port A questions that come up as I've fished there on and off over the last 10 years.

I'd like to find out more about Winter Tuna action out of Freeport. My boat (26' Glacier Bay cat) is kept at Bridge Harbor. Is there a consistent Tuna fishery and if so how far out? Can Yellowfin be targeted or is it similar to Port A with mainly Blackfin?

I may be heading to Venice in the Spring as I almost trailered around last year.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
freeport tuna
we catch the yellowfin all year long but we run 100 miles or so offshore and fish the spar rigs and the rigs that are in a little closer 80 miles or so will hold blackfin and an occasional yellowfin. we run a 28ft cat and make the trips only when we get ice cream seas....rick

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Venice Tuna

The Yellowfin Tuna fishing in Venice is terrible, I would much rather take a 120 mile ride out of Galveston hoping to catch an 80#er than drive all the way down to Venice for an hour boat ride an consistent triplr digit days!
Just kidding! It's getting too crowded down there in the spring. Last year on one really nice Saturday I counted 135 boats on the lump.
That day we caught 5 fish over 150 and were back at the dock by 2:00 pm.
For those of you who have never experienced triple digit fish in freegaff range you really need to go.
When it's on it's just like sight fishing for snapper once you get them chummed up. There at the boat.
Plan on taking 3 days fishing. The tuna feed in cycles. There are days when you won't even catch a bonito but just wait till tomorrow. I think somewhere in a 3 day span you will catch them feeding.
Also down there we go fish in almost anything. A couple of days last year we went out of Tiger straight into 6-8s out of the Southeast. Southwest pass was closed that week because of a supply boat collision.
I am heading down there for a week on the 12th of this month for some fun fishing. I'll be there until the 17th. Anybody want to come come on!

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts