2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Yes, it will be great. we do that all the time, but you should get busy so it will be safe.
Sounds good

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
It should be fine if you handled and freezed it well. Almost all tuna you get at the market or restaurant was frozen at one point.

But eat it tonight...

·
Registered
95 Posts
i third that motion... i usually take a knife and trim the edges a little before cutting the tuna into the medallions. the thin edges of the tuna while frozen can get damaged.

·
break out the 80's and them fancy lures
6,837 Posts
Spots and Dots said:
I took a chunk of tuna out of the freezer Sunday eve.....put it in the fridge to thaw. It's been vacuum bagged, and remains sealed.

Ya'll think it's ok to slice up for a lil sashimi?
Everyone says it's ok, but no one asked how long it has been frozen???

So, how long?

Brandon

·
Iusedtofish
2,893 Posts
Tx Grizzly said:
i third that motion... i usually take a knife and trim the edges a little before cutting the tuna into the medallions. the thin edges of the tuna while frozen can get damaged.
what he said... as long as it hasnt been frozen for over 6-8 months, you should be good to go.. You can also can it if you have a bunch..(before it goes bad)

·
break out the 80's and them fancy lures
6,837 Posts
Spots and Dots said:
first of Aug. It is American tuna, from LA.

Not the mexican Atun we caught in Mexico in Sept.
two months....should be fine. Enjoy.

Brandon

·
Can't be what you ain't.
8,451 Posts
When is dinner and I need an address also. For tuna sashimi I will fly to Il.

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
the best of it will be in the middle. those tuna you see were likely FLASH frozen, not slowly frozen like we do in our houses..... when you thaw the tuna you can slice it in half and see the color difference, the middle will be bright and the outer layer will be a dull red color. the brighter color is going to taste alot better..... I usually trim the outer 3/4" of the loin off and use the middle for sushimi and the outer part I sautee and/or grill.

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did xactly what Argo said.
used the edges for tomorrows ceviche, and the interior as tonights sashimi. We had some of the HOTTEST wasabi I've ever had, but it sure was good.

can't wait for wasabi mashed potatoes and Elk this weekend.

Thanks to all for the advice. Now I'm not afraid!

·
Registered
23 Posts
spitfire said:
Where can you take your tuna meat to get canned? Also how much does that cost?
Get yourself a pressure canner and can it yourself. If you ever eat home canned you'll never eat charlie in the can. Major improvement.

·
SIT DOWN CLOWN
3,454 Posts
I say NO! In fact if I were you I would get rid of all the tuna you have since it is not yesterday fresh. I realize you do not want to throw it away and smell the neighborhood up, so I will come take all that old stuff off your hands free of charge. I know I know, I really don't have to do that, but I don't mind helping you out. No need to thank me.

·
JD Clowney Has Rabies.
5,338 Posts
i don't know if anyone has done this but everytime i go tuna fishing (especially yellowfin) i take a little hot plate that plugs in to my cigarette lighter. The first tuna i catch especially if it is a smaller one i clean and cut it up and make lunch. I even had a buddy bring it all and roll sushi while we were fishing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts