2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys:

New to the forum and really enjoy the information shared here.

Questions for you tuna guys:

1. If fluorocarbon leader is sometimes needed during a chunk bite, why not just have a fluorocarbon topshot with spectra backing?

2. Can you guys recommend any stand-up rods in the $150 range that would match up with a TLD 50 2 speed?

3. If you had $200 to spend on a lure/hook/swivel/iron etc. lineup for non-trolling (i.e. stand-up) applications for BFT and YFT, what would your lineup consist of?

4. Other than the big Torium or Trinidad, what other reels (non spinning)would you recommend for casting plugs for YFT, assuming spectra backing would be used?

Thanks for the help!

JS

·
Registered
579 Posts
1) I suppose one could do that. I do not personally use flourocarbon - I have yet to find it necessary to get bit. I do carry it for if I ever do need it though - however in 2 or 3 years I've taken it along I have yet to use it.

2) A 50 size 2-speed reel, you are going to be fishing 60lb on it I assume...maybe 80lb. I wouldn't go above that on a factor TLD50II, they have been known to crack. I'd go to Bass Pro Shops and look at their store brand rods - I forget the name, someone else will post up but it will be apparent when you get there (Offshore Angler maybe?). If anyone has an all roller 60-80lb class rod for $150, that would be it. You might find a used Calstar or Seeker on the Allcoast trader board for that amount but you'd have to act very quick as it would move fast.

3) $200 won't get you very far in a world where a single trolling lure will set you back $25-40 easily. You'll want several sizes of circle hooks - 1/0 to 8/0 most likely. That alone can set you back $150 or so if you buy say 25-50 each. You'll want several iron jigs - be that 8oz Diamond Jigs, or Tady, Ironman, Salas, Kicker etc - scrambled egg, blue/white, blue/chrome, chrome, all white - those with glow backs are good. Each will set you back $10 or so. A pack of 200lb swivels - $25, Say a cedar plug or two for trolling - another $20. Each Yozuri Bull GT Popper will run you $20, $14 or so if you opt for the smaller Hydro Popper. If you want something such as a Yozuri Bonita or Braid Marauder - $25 or more (each). $200 just doesn't go too far.

4) For casting plugs, surface iron, jigs, etc. I see no need for recommending anything other than the Torium. It is reasonably inexpensive, casts better than just about anything else, and is a very good reel. I wouldn't consider the Trinidad (IMO) as it is nearly the same thing, only more expensive. You might cast an eye at a ProGear, if you go that route replace the drags with HT100s. My personal choice is a spinner, don't know why you preclude them (maybe you allready have one?)

Earl

JS said:
Hey guys:

New to the forum and really enjoy the information shared here.

Questions for you tuna guys:

1. If fluorocarbon leader is sometimes needed during a chunk bite, why not just have a fluorocarbon topshot with spectra backing?

2. Can you guys recommend any stand-up rods in the $150 range that would match up with a TLD 50 2 speed?

3. If you had $200 to spend on a lure/hook/swivel/iron etc. lineup for non-trolling (i.e. stand-up) applications for BFT and YFT, what would your lineup consist of?

4. Other than the big Torium or Trinidad, what other reels (non spinning)would you recommend for casting plugs for YFT, assuming spectra backing would be used?

Thanks for the help!

JS

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
1.straight spectre with a short wind-on leader with flourocarbon will work great. i use flourcarbon religously.
2. try chaos rods or offshore anglers captain's choice rods.
3.chrome diamond jigs and ringed owner circle hooks in assorted sizes.
4. i use kaikons but you might look at avet if you are price sensitive. try charkbait.com for avet line of reels....rick

·
Registered
165 Posts
1. I'm not sure if fluorocarbon makes that much difference and I mainly use straight tie mono.

2. Try one of BPS's Captain Choice standup rods for $129 http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=21770&hvarDept=151&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=2&hvarSubCode=4&hvarTarget=browse
or for a little more money a Seeker BA 660XH-6' RS/RT from Charkbait for $169 http://www.charkbait.com/cs/csrodskrEC.htm

3. Start simple. I'd spend about the following on these items
$40 on 4-8 oz diamond jigs
$50 on 4/0,7/0,12/0 Mustard demon circle hooks, assorted Eagle Claw live bait hooks (model 118)
$10 on few 25 yard spool of wire leader for toothly critter
$10 on sabiki rigs
$20 on big BPS Offshore Angler poppers
$10 on assorted weights (a few bags of 1 oz rubber core and some 4-8 oz bank sinkers)
$20 on jigs (Storm wild eyes, bucktails, curly tails)
$40 on trolling baits (a cedar plug, blue & white ilander sea, a tuna clone)

4. For about $100 look at the Penn 545 GS

·
Registered
579 Posts
BYTE your tounge! Notice they weren't in my reccomendation list :)

That will be a cold day in hell! :)

Earl

Argo said:
Earl LOVES Avet reels.. I think he has 5 or 6 of em in every size..

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
Earl is just trying to keep anyone else from buying them, he wants them all for himself. His secret weapons.

·
Reel Gambler
3,761 Posts
Bass Pro Shop carries one brand of "house rod" that I like and it maybe the one Earl was referring to....Ocean Master. I have 7 of them and the Capt. Stout uses the big bent butt rods for trolling.

I think for casting poppers the rod has a lot to do with your casting distance. I have so far out distanced everyone that has fished around me with my AV-80 Okuma and Billy Stix rod and I feel the rod is more the reason, not the reel. I have not had any problem with Okuma so far, but it is not built as well as the Penn spinners. So far by biggest problem has been bumping the bail on the rail, which closes the bail and breaks my popper off.

I know you didn't include a spinner on your list, but I would reconsider and look into the possibilty of using one.

Nothing good would come from picking a backlash and have 100lb YFT hit an idle popper.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have recently broken down and purchased a penn 9500 spinner for casting to flying fish frenzied tuna. I have not purchashed a spinning outfit for at least 20 years prior to this one (call me biased if you like) and consider myself a fairly proficient caster of the level wind/ baitcaster type reel. However comma, there is just something about a quarter acre of airborne tuna and flying fish 200' UPWIND of me that just makes me want to put a birdsnest in my reel that several bald eagles would love to call home. I have yet to put my new rig to the tuna test and you may well see it for sale on the classified board sometime in the future but I am hoping this will be the answer to my dreams and all the tuna of the oceans will fear me. Good luck and hope to see you at Boomvang sometime soon.

Mark

·
Registered
579 Posts
I venture to say you'll end up liking it very much. Haven't fished with anyone thats tried one yet that hasn't.

Earl

·
Registered
624 Posts
My wife used a 15-40 lb Offshore Angler (BPS) Spinning rod w/ a Penn 7500 reel spooled w/ 30lb to catch a lot of tuna in cabo. They are especially usefull for casting live baits. In Texas, that rod is always in the boat loaded up w/ a jig for any ling that show up offshore. You can't beat a spinning rod for casting light objects offshore, that's why the Florida guys use them...the wind is always blowing.And no, you don't need 50-80 class gear to whip moderate sized tuna. A 30 lb class setup will do just fine.....Been there, done that. If I ever learn to post pics here i'll post up the enormous Roosterfish she caught there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts