2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back, I asked about spinning gear for tuna and got some excellent responses. The info is now lost. I remember someone recommended a Calstar rod but I don't remember the model. I was in Cutrate the other day and they didn't have a single Calstar rod in stock. Jerry Brown line was also recommended but the only color choices were bright yellow and white. Are other colors available? I would think the bright lines would be pretty visable to the fish. Where is the best place to shop for this stuff online? Cutrate is not only a little pricey but the help is not very helpful at times and they seem to have a knack for being out of a lot of the things I want.

Thanks

·
Registered
579 Posts
I've never seen JB used in any color other than white - get it, it works. The mono or floro topshot or leader is used to conceal the spectra (and still works fine even when one isn't used - have seen many straight spectra caught fish).

Earl

THROBINROD said:
A while back, I asked about spinning gear for tuna and got some excellent responses. The info is now lost. I remember someone recommended a Calstar rod but I don't remember the model. I was in Cutrate the other day and they didn't have a single Calstar rod in stock. Jerry Brown line was also recommended but the only color choices were bright yellow and white. Are other colors available? I would think the bright lines would be pretty visable to the fish. Where is the best place to shop for this stuff online? Cutrate is not only a little pricey but the help is not very helpful at times and they seem to have a knack for being out of a lot of the things I want.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
i can give you a source on the east coast where i purchase my jerry brown spectre. it is bhp tackle and you can usually get any size spool you want. he sells it by the yard. www.bhptackle.com on the site he shows you how to make top shots and general rigging information on the spectre.

on the allcoast board in the tackle forum there is a fellow that posts under the name themacs that will sell you jerry brown spectre. you can purchase directly from jerry brown industries and they are located in oregon.

www.saltwatertackle.com carries the calstar rods and so does www.charkbait.com also chaos rods make a very good spinning rod that isn't to expensive and it is rated for 15 to 50lb. thrier site is www.chaosrods.com another option would be to get a rod built on what ever blank you want by a local rod builder.

i don't know which cutrate you went to but the cutrate(fishing tackle unlimited) on i-45 at fiqua(sp) has one of the best selections of offshore gear in that part of the country....rick

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.