2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the closest to the Freeport area that you could resonably expect to catch tuna. I was having a discussion with a buddy and we disagree on the distance. Anybody have any input. This would be fishing around culling shrimp boats.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
200' ft of water is what Im hearing................................later,Dave

·
Just one More
1,742 Posts
I would start looking for BF around 60 miles 180-200' and deeper around shrimp boats, YF keep on going 100+ miles unless you head towards East breaks which is 75+ miles from Freeport. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
I have heard reports of YF being caught around the aransas rocks which is inside 40 miles ESE from port A.

·
Reel Gambler
3,761 Posts
The shallowest I have seen BLKFT caught is 155 feet of water, but that is not the normal depth you'd encounter them. I normally start at around any shrimp boat in 150 ft of water....IF...the water is good, then work my way out. Most of the time you'll find more consistant fishing from 180 ft out.

Water clarity is the biggest key IMO!

·
Offshore
503 Posts
Oh my!!!

The state record yellowfin was caught amonst a school of BFT about, I believe, 12 miles out of the Port A jetties. Yup, behind a shrimper. This was during the wimter months and is not a complete rarity with the right conditions.
BeeGee

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yo bince, do you even know what a tuna looks like? You know you will have a hard time catching them with your zebco 202. good luck you'll need it

·
Registered
847 Posts
I have found in many, many, many tries that 200' is the majic number. Any less seems to be Bonita central. 90% of the time they will show right away. If you see no black missles, only Bonita, move on if there are other boats in the area. You never know which one they'll be under.

Patrick

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the Info

Except for searrow I think I know who that is and he is full of s#@!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts