2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Microskiff Mafia
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been seeing tuna steaks quite frequently at HEB for really cheap now and I have a few questions on tuna like this. I love sashimi tuna but I was told you can only do this with really fresh tuna, so I'm assuming I can't do this with these steaks? How can you prepare your own sashimi without having a fresh tuna? Also do you think it would be okay to cook these steaks really rare, like sear them 1-2 minutes on each side? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
which tuna?

HEB by me normally sells 2 frozen 6oz steaks in a package for $5.99. Each steak is individually cryo-packed in the package. The package is yellow/green. They also sell salmon and mahi this way - it's kinda "washed out" looking, but cooks up just fine. I generally cook them between rare and med-rare in a cast iron skillet.

occasionally they sell frozen "sashimi grade" tuna for about $12.99 per pound. They are individually cryo-packed in clear plastic with jest a white label. These steaks all vary in weight and the steak is generally quite pink, though not as red as fresh tuna. I've caught these on sale for $8.99. Sometimes it is in the back - ask the counter person if they have it. Very good steak for the price.

and of course, they generally have fresh YFtuna for $20/#

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
There is a sushi grade tuna that is sold. You would probably want to buy it right after it is defrosted. I know Viet Hoa has that grade tuna and its still frozen in the case. If you buy the steaks, I always cook them no more than a 1.5-2 mins per side very high heat grill. Gas grills work best. I am using tuna I caught though, so I know exactly how its been handled.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I use those steaks for a quick appetizer. Grilling them for aproximately 1 1/2 min each side maybe less. Make sure you get it frozen and thaw it yourself. Don't thaw it in the wrap if you are thawing it over time. I usually do a quick thaw under cold running water and then I take it out of the plastic and marinade for about 3 hours, take it out of the marinade and pat crushed black pepper all over. We used to use HEB wasabi dipping (but as usual once you find something good it's gone) now we use the asian and my other half has been experimenting with creating dips for it on occassion.

Fresh tuna is the best and the redder it is the better it tastes but resteraunts beat the store buyers to that.

Enjoy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts