2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
break out the 80's and them fancy lures
6,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a weekend! Best conditions I have seen in a while. My brother (AggieBret) and I left Friday evening for a night run out to a deep rig. Fishing was slow, but we did pick up 8 Tuna, with two real nice ones. We trolled around the rig in the morning but no luck.

On the way in, 70 miles or so out, we hit a nice weed line. Bump up and down it until we found the Mahi. The first one was small, and we caught him on a Top Dog. Then the Bull showed up, and then ALL HELL broke loose. Bret was using a Calcutta 150 with 12# test line, with a 1/4oz jig head and a strawberry swimming bait. Nice rig for Chicken Mahi, NOT a good choice for the bull. The Bull slammed the swimming bait, and went aerial. Several big jumps, it was beautiful. We chased him all over the place, almost getting spooled twice. He then got in the weed, but a quick dive in allowed me to remove it from the line. All said and done, it took slightly over ONE HOUR to get him on the gaff. A fight we will never forget! While the fight was ongoing, I boxed the nice cow (I chose a bigger setup :) ).

Stopped on the way in for our snapper, and had a quick limit with one real nice one. Same spot yielded an Amberjack. Had a ling to the boat, but he got off before we could ready the gaff.

Ready to do it all over again!

Brandon

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
good post and congrats on a great trip and catch. Where the heck are the YF tuna this year - not many caught on the Cinco trip to Red Hawk and Gunnison and no real good reports from floaters out of Freeport. Any ideas? Will check reports from the Big E.

·
6,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pope said:
one yellowfin in the bunch.
Two actually. They were a nice catch. Too bad they weren't 50# each! :smile:

·
6,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Skawlded Dawg said:
good post and congrats on a great trip and catch. Where the heck are the YF tuna this year - not many caught on the Cinco trip to Red Hawk and Gunnison and no real good reports from floaters out of Freeport. Any ideas? Will check reports from the Big E.
Thanks! From what I see/hear - Venice, LA. I haven't seen any big YF taken out of Freeport, or surrounding areas.

Brandon

·
6,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Skawlded Dawg said:
Looks like hookncook found the YF. That's a heck of a run to Gunnison though.

Brandon

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Wow...what an outstanding day! That's a lot of fish for one trip....I bet that was a action packed day of fishing. I would love to catch a bull dorado like that....yummmm!

·
Salty Dawg
7,724 Posts
Awesome catch. Thanks for sharing the report and pictures.

·
Registered
318 Posts
great looking fish. Looks the Aggie shirt has some good "mojo" with it, otherwise I imagine it would be a shame to get it all bloody and slimy. Just be careful with the Aggie Ring! Any idea what the mahi weighed?
Gig 'em!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thats a beautiful Bull...I dont beleive you about your magic spot...you should take me out and proove me wrong;) Awesome report, Awesome fish!!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Nice Catch !!!

You guys loaded the BOAT !!!!

Weather sure bets the last time we saw you on the water ...when that front blew through....I was in the Scarab.

Great job......who is gonna eat all that fish !!!!

:biggrin:

·
6,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BigOTex said:
You guys loaded the BOAT !!!!

Weather sure bets the last time we saw you on the water ...when that front blew through....I was in the Scarab.

Great job......who is gonna eat all that fish !!!!

:biggrin:
Hey Tex, That front made for a long run in. It came out of no where.

Going to have a family fish fry, and grill.

Hope to see you on the water again soon!

Brandon

1 - 20 of 25 Posts