2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
break out the 80's and them fancy lures
6,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here! I fished out of Freeport this past weekend, along with my brother, father, and grandfather, aboard my new boat "Chase This", named after my 10 month old son, Chase. That's right, four generations mentioned in one fishing report!!! I bet that doesn't happen often. Well, to the good stuff...We left Freeport headed for the deep rigs. We boated a variety of fish before dark, and started jigging as soon as the sun set. It was not looking good at 2am with no Tuna on the boat, and then it all changed. We finally started catching Tuna, and kept catching them until sunrise. They were not thick, but they were there. They hit a wide variety of deep drop jigs. On the way home Sunday, we stopped about 60 miles out and caught a nice limit of snapper in about 30-45 minutes. THEN the storm hit. It was U-G-L-Y there for about 1.5 hours. Well that's my story, final tally:

12 Blackfin Tuna
12 Red Snapper
4 Amberjack
2 Rainbow Runners
4 Horse-Eye Jacks (released)
2 barracuda (released)
3 Spanish Mackerel (released)
3 African Pompano (released)
1 King Fish (released)
2 Bonito (released)

p.s. We ran off and forgot the camera. The "at home" pics are terrible, but they get the job done. Won't make that mistake again!

Brandon P.

Attachments

·
Duck removal service
1,037 Posts
Bienvenidos

Welcome to the board, and that was a good report to break in. Why did you turn the Africans loose? They (arguably) might be the best tasting fish you landed.

·
Lifes 2 Short 2 B So Serious All Da Time
4,275 Posts
Welcome to the board chase this. Looks like a good trip on a new boat with family having fun and enjoying life which is what its all about.

Did yall stop in state waters coming back in to catch your additional snappers shown/mentioned?

Yall done good!

Hog

·
6,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"Instigator", I just haven't tried them. Next time I will keep them! Thanks for the input!

Mike, my Dad says "Hi".

Brandon

·
Registered
669 Posts
hog said:
Did yall stop in state waters coming back in to catch your additional snappers shown/mentioned?

Yall done good!

Hog
Ditto on the great trip but I was thinking the same thing it doesn't read that way

·
Registered
31 Posts
Great report!!
Thats a nice looking rig you picked up. What did it take to fill it up? I am looking again for a good sized boat as you have and the only thing holding me back is the GAS pump.

I just dont want to give up my HUSH money the other half does not know about to offset a bigger fuel bill.....I know the routine.......Gots to pay if you want to play.

·
6,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi, Rob. The boat holds 200 gallons. We ran to the deep rigs, back to a couple of wrecks, and burned 120 gallons. I get a range of 1.6 to 2.1 mpg, depending on conditions.

Pumping gas is, NO FUN. But as you say, "gotta pay to play".

·
Say "when"
7,267 Posts
African Pompano

Funny thing. First one caught on my boat, we nearly released it...but a nearby boat told us good eating too, so we kept it. (I may be in the minority, but I really like to eat Spanish Macks too). Good report and fine looking boat.

G

·
Welcome and Congrats

Welcome to the 2cool community and congrats on the great trip, story and photos. Hope to see you on the water.

Bill

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,165 Posts
Congratulations on the family trip and a new boat. Looks great. Now go read the rule books and make sure you only keep 2 snapper per person next time. :)

·
Dis Member
346 Posts
Great boat, nice fish. It is good to see someone out there getting their line stretched! I am too busy working.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
This exactly the stories we like to hear and see. Generations fishing together and bring back lifetime experiences. It looks like you all had a great time and the African Pompano will stay the next trip out I am sure. I like your rig and I had a chance to fish a SF2660 center console on Sunday and they are great boats.

Welcome and Thanks,
AGF

1 - 20 of 24 Posts