2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The beach front at dusk was sandy green with some head high sets and low tide. A couple of trout on topwater.
Which brings me to tomorrow, since a lot of you may have something wrong with your eyes. You know, just can't see yourself going in to work!

At 10:30 the wind is S 8mph. At dawn tomorrow it is expected to be about the same but more SW, switching to WNW around 7:00 and then SW around 5 - 10mph. the rest of the day. It all depends on the wind which should lay some at daylight.
With a high tide around 5:30 in the morning I think it will be ON.

Disclaimer: this forecast is for discussion purposes only and should not be the source of unemployment or divorce.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Thanks Kenny

Just made my last weather look before bed. I hope you are right. The trucks loaded for fishing and I have my business suit in there too for the rest of the day, along with 2 gallons of water to shower with. If you see a naked guy showering with Ozarka gallon jugs, about 9:30 am, by a tan F250 crew cab, around the concrete pilings at #7, keep on driving, it won't be me-Tom

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Funny stuff, luckily I won't be headed by there. The wind now is light WSW to varible at 7mph. and still probably will get a bit stronger at dawn but not much. Then light W, WNW, and supposidly 2-3 mph. SW by 1:00 this afternoon. The seaweed was a bit of a problem yesterday evening but should have improved. I can't hear any surf and that's good. It just is a matter of how the surf reacted to a light side-shore wind all night.
I'm having coffee and headed over to the beach.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
The wind was light

and coming from the north. Surf was setting in with head high sets, but green to sandy green. Lots of dinks, all on top. Cried uncle at 8:30. Not worth the beating for a bunch of dinks.

North wind made me think "Surf Fishing at Mavericks". It was purty but tough fishing.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
It was flattening out a little

WilliamH said:
I don't get it. I am looking at the surf cams and it looks flat to me.
By the time I left this morning. I am telling you, when the wind is northerly, the swell is very deceiving from the cams AND the shore. The water looks calm. You'ld be surprised what a three footer is like in chest deep water. Dunk!

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Caught a bunch of fish in between first and second bars on top until 8:30. Took some overheaders standing on the first bar. No size, all between 13 and 20 inches. At 9:00, the swell size fell significantly. Went to the second bar and it wasn't bad at all, caught a few more dinks on plastics and spooks. Called no joy at 10:30, total was well over 35 fish caught, less than 1/3 keepers, strung 6 fish that tore themselves up on the spook.-Tom

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For future reference, there is no fast way to Rosenberg from West Galveston!

But before that whirlwind trip, I fished this morning from dawn until almost 9:00. The first hour in low light was tough with head-high sets and me not being able to get my S*** straight. A few early trout on top but the seaweed was a definite problem.
As if on cue at 7:00 the surf dropped, the seaweed seemed less and the mullet were rafting. I switched to a weedless chartreuse/silver spoon and that was the ticket. I ended up with over a limit(all C&R) on the spoon and jigs. Better fish came on a 51MR "Texas Chicken". Nothing big but most between 17"-20".

The wind now is SSE about 7mph. and the water is a tad sandy inshore, but fishable. If nothing changes I'll fish this evening.

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I fished this evening 6:00-8:00 with no fish. The tide is out as far as it gets on a Janurary Norther, I don't get it.....so then about 7:00 my fishing partner wades out after getting home from work. Now I'm pretty sure this guy has sold his soul to the devil, and on about the third cast he hooks up with a 26" trout, released. He was throwing a glitter pink/white tail shrimp tout.When was the last time you used one of those. We fished another hour and on the way in the guy catches another small trout.
The wind is real light S. and the water inshore is sandy with tollerable visibility. It should be ON again in the morning.
Troy where will you be maybe I'll join you.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Argh!

kenny said:
Troy where will you be maybe I'll join you.
I fished the pass area yesterday evening and it was a dinkfest. We caught over 30, all under 16". Finally on my last cast in the dark I caught a solid 23" trout on a limetruese assassin. Water was great down there YESTERDAY.

This morning I fished the same area and as the lights came on I realized the water was brown. Managed a few fish on soft plastics, none on tops. Meat chunkers waded through the place I was fishing while I had a fish on and shut it down. They cleaned up on dinks, sharks and stingrays and a few keepers.

I was on the wrong side of the pass today. The reports from car bodies are going to make you cry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts