2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Microskiff Mafia
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed below are in no way trying to harm nor defame the name or quality of the products produced by Texas Tackle Factory. They are mearly opinions based on experience.

So this past weekend I went and fished the Port A/ Aransas pass area and as most of you who have fished that area know the grass can be a pain in the arse, so I purchased some of the new weedless TTF jigheads to try and keep my plastics from fowling up on the grass. Now I've used weedless jigheads in the past like the eagle claw swimbait hooks but I couldn't find those down in rockport for less than like $8 so I settled for the TTF. First thing i noticed was it was a straight shanked hook instead of a curved more open worm style hook, but I thought I'd give em a try. The next day we got into some trout so I decided to give the new hooks a whirl. I immediately noticed I wasn't getting good hooksets. I tried everything. I waited for them to take it a for a long time, I set the hook hard, I set it soft. But I was not hooking up and it wasn't that they were slapping at it, they were crushing my lure. I was using a devil eye and I think the body of the lure was just too wide for the hook so that there wasn't enough room for the plastic to slide. I've never had a problem hooking up with the swimbait hooks so IDK what the deal was. I think these hooks might be better suited for the Big Mino since they're slotted.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so what was your remedy for it?

·
JimD
7,161 Posts
Jay Watkins had a great article or two over in the TSF archives on how he rigs his plastics weedless.

Most worm hooks are a G style and have too long a shaft for most salt water baits or you do not have enough hook gap with the shorter shank.

Jay Watkins talks about two different straight wide gap short shanked hooks that look great for our salt water baits rigged Tex posed. Between the two hooks they will fit most of our baits Devil eye, ttk, or Norton eel with or without a slit.

Take a look.

·
ok, so gulp isn't that bad
1,199 Posts
i've tried using them on devil eyes too with no avail. hell, it's even hard to use them on a trout killer II because of how thick the bait is. i took a knife and made a cut down the belly of the lure and that helps alot. it would be hard to do that with a devil eye though.

·
Aggie Angler
3,794 Posts
We tried using them on redfish first a couple years ago... I can say that I have not tied on one since then, nor do I intend to. I could never get a solid hook up. I was sight fishing, so I know what was happening and i believe it to be the hook not me after about a dozen missed fish. just go with a regular jig head, pop it harder and the grass will come off.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, guys. We do listen when people speak up - good or bad.

Regarding our 4/0 weedless heads, these hooks were designed specifically for our Killer Flats Minnows. I'm not blowing smoke when I say that in my experience the hookup ratio with this hook on the KFM is VERY good. I use this rig during tournaments all the time, and I dang sure wouldn't do so if I felt I was hurting my chances at winning by missing hookups.

As far as using this head with larger baits, you're absolutely right. A straight-shank 4/0 doesn't work well with bulkier baits of any brand. Because of demand and feedback like this, we're currently working on a 5/0 version for using with larger baits that I think you'll all be pleased with.

We have customers that buy the 4/0 version 20 packs at a time, so we know there are a lot of people out there that really like these heads. It all depends how you use them, I suppose.

Actually, we currently do make a 5/0 weedless hook, but as of now we only have a weightless version available. I used this exact hook last week with the BIG MINO and caught four redfish without a single missed hookset. I waked the BIG MINO on spinning tackle over the tops of the schools and they were smashing it. Really cool technique you guys should try with the MINO.

Here's a link to the 5/0 weightless:
http://www.texastacklefactory.com/product.asp?ProductID=35821

And here's an image:

Again, we DO appreciate the feedback and listen to what folks have to say. You can expect to see some weighted versions of the 5/0 shortly.

·
HE is risen. HE is risen indeed.
129 Posts
A very courteous response

Thanks for the feedback, guys. We do listen when people speak up - good or bad.

Regarding our 4/0 weedless heads, these hooks were designed specifically for our Killer Flats Minnows. I'm not blowing smoke when I say that in my experience the hookup ratio with this hook on the KFM is VERY good. I use this rig during tournaments all the time, and I dang sure wouldn't do so if I felt I was hurting my chances at winning by missing hookups.

As far as using this head with larger baits, you're absolutely right. A straight-shank 4/0 doesn't work well with bulkier baits of any brand. Because of demand and feedback like this, we're currently working on a 5/0 version for using with larger baits that I think you'll all be pleased with.

We have customers that buy the 4/0 version 20 packs at a time, so we know there are a lot of people out there that really like these heads. It all depends how you use them, I suppose.

Actually, we currently do make a 5/0 weedless hook, but as of now we only have a weightless version available. I used this exact hook last week with the BIG MINO and caught four redfish without a single missed hookset. I waked the BIG MINO on spinning tackle over the tops of the schools and they were smashing it. Really cool technique you guys should try with the MINO.

Here's a link to the 5/0 weightless:
http://www.texastacklefactory.com/pr...roductID=35821

And here's an image:

Again, we DO appreciate the feedback and listen to what folks have to say. You can expect to see some weighted versions of the 5/0 shortly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts