2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking my 4 yr old son to POC this weekend (along with the rest of the world) and what does he want to catch? A shark. Any size will do but I need a shark. This is definitely not my forte so I need some help from you shark gurus.

I have a heavy rod rigged with a wire leader and circle hook ready to go. Considering the amount of boat traffic I'm thinking I should go the the shoreline area north of the big jetties and either anchor or drift while chumming with cigar minnows or whatever they have frozen at the marina.

Any advice on area (considering boat traffic), anchor/drift or bait selection? Also is it best to put the bait on bottom or flat line it with the curent if there is any?

·
Just call me JJ
7,582 Posts
Not familiar with the area, but from my trips to high island and PINS we seem to be able to catch countless shark pups in the 1st and 2nd guts on an outgoing tide using cut mullet on small wire leaders and sharp little circle hooks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've hooked some smaller sharks in Mitchell's Cut on an outgoing tide several times. Usually it was later in the morning so you can chase trout early and anchor up depending on the tide flow. We always anchored near the old coast guard station.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
We used to have pretty good luck anchoring inside the jetties, at the end of the jetties, the T-post, or the drop off at Bird island. If you want to put your son on a small shark, try using squid for bait. We caught lots of 2 1/2'-4' sharks on squid. For bigger sharks, we would use cutbait. BTW, we always fished the bottom.

·
Grand Master of Thread Kill
1,591 Posts
shark pups are pretty thick in the surf down in that area. carolina rigged finger mullet, 2/0 kahle hook, with a wire leader (14" no snap swivel) on a trout rod is a hoot. just let the shark take long enough to get a hook in it. freespool for about 15 seconds then set the hook.

steven caught his first blacktip pups (5 or 6) last weekend using this method. first gut in the middle of the day.

he wasn't too keen on holding the fish for the picture as you can see from the look on his face. :biggrin:

ps: i did pick up the can and no it wasn't his :tongue:

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
My boy (and I) caught our first sharks a few weeks ago. We're 'hooked' now!

They have run 24-30 inches, and are a hoot to catch on lighter tackle. The Spanish Macks seem to put up a longer fight, but the sharkies are pretty exciting nonetheless.

We learned quickly and use a steel leader now, and will be using the circle hooks tomorrow. Once you get a 'j' hook up in there pretty solid its hard to get the hook out.

We freelined mullet with a small piece of splitshot about 12-18" up.
In my limited experience, the mullet seemed to work the best for shark. (different trips we've tried croaker, mud minnows, and dead shrimp)

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts