2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since all 5 yard guys on my street now drive pickups in better shape than mine, I guess it's time to start looking....

Here is my quandry. I have a diesel problem.

I love diesels....especially my 2000 7.3 PowerStroke Super Duty. Sometimes, when no one is looking, I go to the bathroom and surf diesel forums. And, thanks to the spineless Ford guys who bowed down the to the enviro-whackos, I can't buy a diesel Excursion anymore....well, not new anyway.

Here is what I want.....lots of room and the mileage, power and dependability of a diesel. Suburbans are sweet, Yukon Denalis are awesome...but, no diesel. Yukon has a hybrid coming out later this year which sounds really cool and might be an option. But they are all a substitute for what I really want....a big diesel SUV (for hauling my crew to Rockport, pulling trailers and my daily driver). MB has a diesel GL but its kind of on the frumpy side.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
Profish00 said:
Hummer H2 will be coming out the the duramax and allison, I think.
I think that is after the 2009 model year:

TONAWANDA, N.Y. - General Motors Corp. will introduce a new, state-of-the-art 4.5L V-8 Duramax turbo-diesel that improves engine fuel efficiency by 25 percent, reduces CO2 emissions by 13 percent and cuts particulates and NOx emissions by at least 90 percent for North American light duty trucks and the HUMMER H2 built after 2009.

Link

Not the same Duramax as in the trucks now, not sure about the Allison, and because of a shorter wheelbase I am not sure about the towing experience versus a longer wheelbase vehicle.

·
Know it, Love it, Kill it, and Grill it!
1,839 Posts
There is a company out of Calarodo that is converting Yukon's to Duramax/ Allison. Sorry I checked my history but couldn't find the site, I remember they are expensive but cool.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Give it a couple years all the big three will have a light duty diesel in everything. BTW only one company currently has a medium duty in their trucks. :D

·
Roll Tide!
15,791 Posts
Monarchy said:
MB has a diesel GL but its kind of on the frumpy side.
My wife drives the GL450 Gasser. It's a smooth ride and a rocket on acceleration, but by no means a heavy hauler. I hooked my boat up to it just to see how well it towed and it did okay. My F150 tows it a lot better though.

We did drive the diesel version, but it didn't have near the get up and go of the V8. It's a diesel designed more for gas mileage than towing. It's not a manly kind of diesel. I think you can scratch it from your list.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts