2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Jacka$$ Moment
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I got the word that my 1/2 ton 4 door 2007 Z-71 is going to be totalled and now I've got to find me a new truck. I want to go 3/4 ton diesel, but not sure what to do. From what I've been reading, the new Ford's are almost junk, the Dodge's are too overpriced for what you get, and well, I'm not going to buy another Chevy now that I'm out of this one. I'm also not sure about buying one second hand. I guess that pretty much cuts out all my options huh? LOL! Anyone got any tips or suggestions where to start looking for a truck. If I go new, it will be Ford or Dodge, but most likely a Dodge. Who do you recommend close to the Lake Jackson area that will make me the best deal? Thanks

Dook

·
Bull Frog hunter
9,276 Posts
Ford. Done. Got an f150 with 85K on it. One set of brakes, one set of tires at 75K. Nuthin else but gas and oil changes. Wouldn't trade it for a Dodge, chevy or Toy. Hummer sux so whats left?

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
If you are going to haul loads and heavy weight all of the time then you go with the dodge because cummins makes the best diesels but if it is a driver and you are just going to pull a boat on the weekends then get a ford.

·
I Member Like It Was Yesterday
3,473 Posts
I drive a hotshot truck for a living and it's an 2006 Dodge 5.9 CTD. If I had to relpace it tomorrow it would be be with a another 2006 - 2007 1/2 5.9. You can get one for $20,000 (low mileage) and not have any major issues (2007 1/2+ and up) which can be corrected with $$$. Or an older Ford 7.3. Just my $.02 from someone who has seen alot of work trucks in the last 3 years!

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Man, you really owe it to yourself to give the 07+ Tundras for a spin....

I bought a new 08 crewmax 4x4 last year and love it.... I have had it for 15 months and put 60k miles on it... no problems what so ever.... I am selling it in May and buying another one exactly like it....

If you havent ever been in one, you are in for a nice suprise....

·
Jacka$$ Moment
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I owned a Toyota P/U once, not a Tundra, and it was VERY dependable. But I want something that will pull my boat and trailers easier than my 1/2 ton gas truck has been doing. I've been looking online for some second hand trucks ($50K is really more than I want to throw down on a truck) and think that may be the way I'm going to go. That being said, what year was it that the Ford diesel went downhill? Wasn't it that first year they went to twin turbo? Anyone know what year? I've also been thinking about buying my truck back from the insurance company if they will take a cheap price on it. So now let me ask another question, what is the deal with salvage titles? Can you insure the vehicle? How does all that work. I've heard of many people getting them and claiming that they were some of the best vehicles they've ever owned. What are the drawbacks to them. There is only some slight frame damage, so why not? Thanks

Dook

·
Concrete Contractor
12,403 Posts
I know were towing a buttload of salvage cars here in Fort Bend. For a long time people would buy these cars fix em and sell em. Well some of the deputies are telling me its illegal to drive a salvage vehicle on the street and have been towing them when pulled over. Especially the ones with paper tags. Ive heard Ins companies wont fully insure a salvage vehicle.

·
aka: KSims1868
3,848 Posts
Not sure why you think the new Fords are junk.
If the 6.0 was still around...I would almost agree with you. The early 6.0 diesel was a very problematic engine and it definitely tarnished Ford's reputation. BUT...The new (now 2 years old) 6.4 twin turbo diesel from Ford is a great powerhouse of an engine. Very reliable, and definitely a towing monster!

That's not to say that Dodge isn't a nice truck also. I'm a big fan of the new Dodge trucks, but I just think Fords look better. Sure...Dodge's look good - don't get me wrong, and I'd be proud to own either of them. I just personally prefer Ford's appearance.

I wouldn't buy a new GM diesel truck. Just not a fan of really anything about them.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
I owned a Toyota P/U once, not a Tundra, and it was VERY dependable. But I want something that will pull my boat and trailers easier than my 1/2 ton gas truck has been doing. I've been looking online for some second hand trucks ($50K is really more than I want to throw down on a truck) and think that may be the way I'm going to go. That being said, what year was it that the Ford diesel went downhill? Wasn't it that first year they went to twin turbo? Anyone know what year? I've also been thinking about buying my truck back from the insurance company if they will take a cheap price on it. So now let me ask another question, what is the deal with salvage titles? Can you insure the vehicle? How does all that work. I've heard of many people getting them and claiming that they were some of the best vehicles they've ever owned. What are the drawbacks to them. There is only some slight frame damage, so why not? Thanks

Dook
Ya, the Tundra may not be what you are looking for if you are towing huge stuff...

Mine is rated at towing 10,100 lbs.... 381 HP, 401 lb/ft torque... Good for pulling regular boats and smaller stuff... but I would stick to a diesel if you are towing big goosenecks, 24'+ boats and large travel trailers. I had an 01 Powerstroke with the old 7.3 that got totalled out.... it was a shame for sure.... real good truck.

The large truck market should get interesting when Toyota starts selling the 3/4 ton diesel model that they are doing the R/D on...

Ive owned my fair share of vehicles, and have stuck with the Toyotas due to their dependability and resale... I am on my 4th one now since 98....

Good luck with your search.... end of the year is coming so prices should drop when dealers are closing out their years....

·
Banned
2,863 Posts
I've been driving GM products for years, including the 04 Duramax I drive now. But, with the current situation with the Big 3, I will probably go to a Ford next time. I looked at a new Ford the other day, F450 PS with 4.30:1 gears. Man, that thing looks impressive. Actually, it was an 08 that was still on the lot. Crew cab with a flat bed. We tow a fifth wheel RV; what a tow vehicle that would be. But I'm just not ready yet.

I haven't heard of a lot of issues with the twin turbo 6.4.

·
Jacka$$ Moment
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think I found my truck, but would like opinions. I found a 2004 Dodge 2500 Crew Cab Laramie 4WD, 118K miles, 5.9L diesel automatic, Ranch hand rear bumper, spray in bedliner, leveling kit installed, and new BFG AT's on it. $19k What is the general concensus with you all on this deal. Beautiful truck in excellent shape from what I can tell. I'm going to go try to drive it tomorrow and check it closer. Thanks

Dook

·
Living life in the 77H20 zip code
846 Posts
I think I found my truck, but would like opinions. I found a 2004 Dodge 2500 Crew Cab Laramie 4WD, 118K miles, 5.9L diesel automatic, Ranch hand rear bumper, spray in bedliner, leveling kit installed, and new BFG AT's on it. $19k What is the general concensus with you all on this deal. Beautiful truck in excellent shape from what I can tell. I'm going to go try to drive it tomorrow and check it closer. Thanks

Dook
Good choice. I would have no reservations about buying a 2004 Dodge cummins. Dodge didn't start having any problems until 2007 to the present. $19 K is not too bad, but there may be some room for negotiation. I have a 2003 with 115,000 miles with no issues.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts