2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's been alot of discusion about lowering the Trout limit to 5 but what about making a Trout tag like the one on Redfish but for over 25'' instead of one 25'' Trout a day. Seems like that would save alot of the trophy Trout breeding stock. Pros...Cons???

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
My vote would be to limit trout to 5 per day. That's enough fish for any family, at 15" minimum. 10 trout is a BUNCH of trout!
I'm not for the tag for 1 trout per year over 25". I release several 25-30"+ trout each year BUT, if I happen to be in a tournament, sorry Miss Trout!
Thanks to EVERYONE who supported the new regs on the flounder! I think that will help in the future and especially for the next generation.
You don't want me to post what I think of gigging. Not enough room on this Site!
Have fun and keep a tight line!

·
The Camo'd Texan
520 Posts
tags ?

i dont see a real problem to lowerin to 5, would take alot of pressure off all trout .. like stated 5 trout are plenty of food ..but

how about lowering the min. length a inch or two from 15" to 14" or 13" ..you would have alot more dink trout retained , those would keep more pressure off the big trout with limits and bags made earlier, lettin more big trout to contunie to grow and still be spawning, those gettin more big trout and still letting the one 25" a day trout possible.

think this would work for flounder also (and a bunch of other species ,even off-shore,{ hint hint maybe snapper? i dont know }), cuttin back the min length would mean the smaller males would be retained allowing the bigger females to keep growing/spawning and leavin more big ones to catch..more females,more big fish mean more fish and more big fish..

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I'd like to see a 5 fish limit for the entire coast and maybe raise the minumum to 16" or even 17". There really is not much meat on the fillet of a 15 incher. This would allow those 15 inchers to spawn a few more times before they are taken.

Bsartor mentioned a tag that would save the trophy breeding stock, but I wonder if there are genetics that allow some female trout to grow bigger than others, or if any female (sow) trout has the capability to grow to trophy size if it lives long enough and has plenty of food available. In other words, the "trophy" trout grew up just like any trout and would it's offspring spawned when was 14" be any different from it's offspring spawned at 30"?

I don't know the answer but just throwing this out for discussion....

·
RIP HRCH Daniels Sonny Slough 05.24.2016
1,571 Posts
They could give each angler 3 tags for specks 25" + (only 1 fish 25" or over per day) and if you used them up, you could go to the nearest TPWD office and get 1 more, twice, and that would be 5 for the year. If your a tournament fisherman youd just have to make 5 per yr work and if it isnt enough, tough tiddie. 5 trout per day limit.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Why do you want 10 redfish? We were there once and it took years to get them back. They are a LOT of fun to catch but 10 redfish each day would put them back at risk. If anything, lower the size limit by 2 inches...both top and bottom. MUCH better eating fish!
Sounds like there might be supprt for the 5 limit per day on trout. Might be worth passing on?

·
The Camo'd Texan
520 Posts
Bsartor mentioned a tag that would save the trophy breeding stock, but I wonder if there are genetics that allow some female trout to grow bigger than others, or if any female (sow) trout has the capability to grow to trophy size if it lives long enough and has plenty of food available. In other words, the "trophy" trout grew up just like any trout and would it's offspring spawned when was 14" be any different from it's offspring spawned at 30"? ..
good question , i dont see where the genetics for the same 30" trout would be any different then the same fish the previous years, . but now that same trout would be spawning alot more eggs , that are stronger and got an advantage (more eggs and better health because coming from bigger fish)...

genetics would keep some fish from growing to 25"+,like a buck in the hill country geneticaly will not grow as large as a south texas deer..

the tag idea sounds good, i like it

·
Texas Aggie Fisherman
2,981 Posts
I think they should make it where you are allowed to take 6 trout per day of which 3 can be 15"-20", 2 can be 20" to 25" and 1 can be over 25".

In order to take a 20" to 25" trout, the angler would have to use 1 of 50 tags provided with a fishing license.

In order to take a 25"+ trout, the angler would have to use 1 of 5 tags provided with a fishing license.

However, if an angler wishes to keep more than 3 trout in the 15" to 20" range, they could purchase additional tags at $3 a piece from TPWD and would count towards the 6 fish limit. No additional tags for 20"+ fish could be purchased.

If the 3 15"-20" trout are less than 50" in total length and were caught on live croakers, a 4th trout of 15"-18" could be retained as part of the 6 fish limit if a special permit is purchased for $5 (good for all season) and a tag would not be required. The dead croakers would need to be retained as proof until the fish reach their final destination.

·
I just love rod threads! No Spam baby
3,776 Posts
no tags

We don't need no stupid tags for trout!
Do you know how many floaters there would be?
They are not as resilant as reds for sure.

Drop limit to 5 is ok by me though.
Play on.

·
Do you know who I think I am???
5,213 Posts
I think they should make it where you are allowed to take 6 trout per day of which 3 can be 15"-20", 2 can be 20" to 25" and 1 can be over 25".

In order to take a 20" to 25" trout, the angler would have to use 1 of 50 tags provided with a fishing license.

In order to take a 25"+ trout, the angler would have to use 1 of 5 tags provided with a fishing license.

However, if an angler wishes to keep more than 3 trout in the 15" to 20" range, they could purchase additional tags at $3 a piece from TPWD and would count towards the 6 fish limit. No additional tags for 20"+ fish could be purchased.

If the 3 15"-20" trout are less than 50" in total length and were caught on live croakers, a 4th trout of 15"-18" could be retained as part of the 6 fish limit if a special permit is purchased for $5 (good for all season) and a tag would not be required. The dead croakers would need to be retained as proof until the fish reach their final destination.
Retarded! :headknock Why would you want to be TAXED more by our government to fish???

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Leave the limits alone. Let the people we pay for make the laws with their surveys. If they can goof up the snapper fishing with data of plenty( I'm sure they do the best they can and they can't hit a homerun every time) what would regular people like us do guessing? If you want to make a personal sacrifice do so.

·
Registered
491 Posts
regs

Leave the trout regs alone. Me and my dog just ate 5 filets between us. Buck would have eaten a lot more if I'd fixed them! I can see where a large family would need more than 5 trout if they are on the small end of the slot. Continue to educate people on the need to practice catch and release on the larger trout whenever possible. I rarely keep trout over 20 myself. I would like to see redfish raised to 5.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
How about we just all eat more Steak and leave the fishes lol

I think we should leave them where they are, for a few more years and see how the Keep 5 limit down south is working out. It has not been around long enough to see if it even will make a difference.. Data is what will tell us, and TPWD will know what effect the 5 bag limit has on trout in a few years. Give TPWD the time they deserve and have earned...

·
Registered
597 Posts
If anything is done with trout regs it probably should be shortenining the slot to 14" and maybe reduce the bag limit by a couple or so. I would like to see the limit on reds increased to five with one bull with no tag and a second bull tagged, five total. The doggone bull reds are eating up all my trout bait croakers.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Why don't we just leave it all alone let TP&W take care of that. The fisherman that fish all the time dont keep every fish they catch. Like me I only keep when need some fresh fish for family or friend. I pretty much catch and release all my fish. I just love the enjoyment in catching them and the time on the water. Most people that keep a limit or two are not on the water weekly so they have to stock up on meat. I am totally against raising the limit on reds.:work:

·
Registered
309 Posts
I am in favor of reducing it to five statewide, and no fish over 25" during the spawn say 90 days or so, 1 per day for the rest of the year.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts