2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I definetly cannot run in knee deep water or burn the shore lines, but I can cruise all day long in 4ft of water. This brings on my question to you guys: Minus the bolivar wells and the jetties in general where are some suggestion in galv bay one could trout fish in a boat that I will not put in less that 3-4 of water? I usually trout fish at night but with seas 3-5ft and an urge to go fishing I'm having to change my game plan. I just need to win the lottery and get taht 27' Shallow sport....

·
POC chunker
9,207 Posts
I had the same Dilema in POC and used to fish the jetties when it was too rough for offshore. We did good with Trout using live shrimp or croakers under a popping cork alongside the rocks. Also lots of jacks and Sheepshead as a bonus.

·
Back in da Saddle
10,160 Posts
Live croker on deep reefs ...

Spoil Banks off the channel ...mid bay reefs in east bay ...I think Hannas......

Your big boat is fine, as hot as it is by mid morning the trout are moving deep...
John

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
As already said, the whole Galveston bay is fishable with caution. The HotSpot map will show all of the reefs and I would target those early and maybe spoils when the day heats up. Likewise, I'm 24' and deep, but fish it all except for West Bay. (Thanks to the "Get Skinny" 2-coolers)
Wading will get you closer to a BlueWater thrill by fighting them on their turf. I just ease perpendicular to the shoreline into about 2' and hope out. (Just ease out into 3' and go)
Holla if you want to explore the Bay and offshore together sometime. (Looks like we have similiar boats)
Bernard

·
Registered
24 Posts
My boat looks like it is similar size and we fish all over galveston bay, except west bay as it gets pretty shallow. Be carefull when a northern has pushed the water out. Dollar reef is close and so is Hannas and both are deep.

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions we left out this morning and were greeted with a STRONG south wind. We did mroe piddling than anything but fished everywhere from the bolivar wells to the boat cut. Ran a mile or so off the jetties and decided we didn't feel like getting our teeth beat out. Came back in to the spoil banks and did quite a bit of drifting under the birds with no luck. Ended with a couple trout and a flounder and released all of em as I have no more room in the freezer. I jsut had to get out on the water though before back to work tomorrow! Staybent that sounds like a good plan to me. If the sees lay I will be offshore sunday morning.. Let me know if you ever need a ride or a buddy boat.

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmm if I'm counting on the fingers right i should have both of those days off... you must work shift work to?

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Trinity Wells

Look at a hot spot map and try the gas wells in Trinity, they usually are doing well this time of year and they are in 8-12 ft of water. Soft plastics or shrimp on the bottom will usually get em. I know Im late but maybe next time.

Z

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Is it 12 hour shifts? (I heard it was ok) Poor Lyondell and some others are still doing the 7days of 8 hours - We used to and I hated it.
I just did some finger counting and I guess you will be off S,M,T,W. It looks like Thursday will be my day to go and you will probably be back at work. One day we'll hook up.

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea we're on 12s... Looks like I missed a finger in there. As for the shifts we aare on they are not bad at all, I've heard though most peopel prefer the dupont though

1 - 13 of 13 Posts