2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was posted earlier

hello- After 7000 miles of driving in Galveston area water and launching my boat over 400 times , I consider myself a newbie since I am constantly learning about this complex sport .

well I will speed up in the learning curve . first thing first is that your fish finder looks for airbladder and since you often see air bubbles in saltwater, it is always wrong about where the fish are. I do use my depth finder to tell me where shallows and deep water are located.

this article is focused on trout fishing so here are some of the rules. specks hatch two times a year so when they have eggs they eat all the times and most fish that you catch are female.

don't anchor unless you can bet your life that there are fish nearby always use a large drift sock . best speed for drifting is less than .0.8 mph. once you hit 1mph forget it .

use a map and find shallows for feeding and deep water for protection near each other , I use goggle earth map to see the area from 500 ft up . here is the link- http://earth.google.com/

most spots hold less than 5 fish so if there are 11 boats at the gas well that you are targeting , you are not going to catch fish , move on and find another spot .

winter time go late to let water warm up and summer time go early to avoid the hot water .

trout's slow down when water hits 85 in shallows and they move to deep oil rigs since it is better for them . they also move to deep water when it gets very cold.

right now they have eggs so they eat all the times but when they don't have eggs , do not go day time when moon is out since they were feeding at night .

try to use tide to your advantage - during highs they move to shore line and lows they are in 3ft to 4ft water and easier to catch .

my optimum depth is 3ft while drifting while they can be caught in other depths.

There must be a water flow as they are a ambush predator, find current and bait or at least current since you may not be able to see the bait.

Using live bait by poping it , you can catch them in muddy water . specks do eat dead bait also but use fresh dead or live .

yes there are more rules lol , you thought it be easy ha.

when you are drifting ,(remember no anchoring )or I will flunk you in trout school. it is best to have wind on your back , it is also easier to travel due to lack of waves .the other side is rough and dirty water .

when you are drifting , have your motor down so when you get to shallows the skeg will stop the boat from going further, you can raise the engine to leave the area or you will be pushing with your body to get back to deeper water .

it you were a glass minnow where could the current cause you your life ? it would at a point where there are turbulence- they are caused by change in terrain - look for a point , hook, or areas that move inward or outward . flat straight line on shoreline is waste land. also look for ship wreck, drop off , drainage area on lake . opening to gulf like rollover pass. or boat cut to be exact.

look for reefs that trap glass minnow or smaller organism.

to start with use floats with rattle on them like Cajon thunder with shrimp and pop them so hard like you are trying to break your line every 3 sec . cast in virgin water in your drift path.

are you sorry for asking the question , how to catch fish yet .. lol

when bait stealer are abounded in summer time switch to more expensive bait like baby croaker as they are the real reason your shrimp is being taken away from you. you can use shrimp but you have to load up more often .

when it rains it will cool the water and it can make the water fresh . the near to gulf will turn cool while trinity water will turn fresh .

you can catch trout in 6 inch visibility by popping,but you can not catch them in 6ft visibility as they get spooked and nerves and move to deeper water for cover .
bridges , oil rigs, ship wrecks are ok to anchor.

When anchored next to ship chanel targeting oil rigs ,if there is shallow water nearby it can cause big waves to show up, use extra anchor rope to let the boat ride it ,don't get hit on the side

The further that you go south toward mexico the better the fishing gets .

now that I saved you couple thousand miles of driving on the water , I ask you to loan me your boat on days ending with letter "Y".

please add to this article if you know how to catch fish or correct me if I am wrong .

·
Purveyor of Worthless Knowledge
557 Posts
I should have told all the fish I have caught on anchor that they shouldn't have been biting.....at least no more than 5 of them should be ......lol.

Watch getting to many generalizations why you can't catch them. It limits the amount you catch.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
these were mentioned

When anchored next to ship chanel targeting oil rigs ,if there is shallow water nearby it can cause big waves to show up, use extra anchor rope to let the boat ride it ,don't get hit on the side

don't anchor unless you can bet your life that there are fish nearby always use a large drift sock . best speed for drifting is less than .0.8 mph. once you hit 1mph forget it .

bridges , oil rigs, ship wrecks are ok to anchor.

·
Banned
3,906 Posts
most spots hold less than 5 fish
?????

So, all countless times I have limited out in one spot were a fluke? Or, what about following the same school all day with slicks and catching 150 fish? Making such sweeping claims will be hard to back up and will limit you as an angler.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry about what happen to you . you would not leave a $100 bill on the boat and walk away for 10 minutes so why would I leave ,3 rods at $250 each in the boat and walk away. my rods don't touch the boat till the last minute.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Thank you I appreciate the advise I just learned somethings there. If you are drifting and start catching fish do you anchor?? Also everyone speaks of current, how do you really tell if the current is moving? I always look for it but I am not real sure what I am looking for. I check tides but there has to be more to it. Thanks Again.

·
Banned
3,906 Posts
Ckill said:
Thank you I appreciate the advise I just learned somethings there. If you are drifting and start catching fish do you anchor?? Also everyone speaks of current, how do you really tell if the current is moving? I always look for it but I am not real sure what I am looking for. I check tides but there has to be more to it. Thanks Again.
Look for a stationary object in the water to gauge current at any one location.

·
Banned
3,906 Posts
boashna said:
sorry about what happen to you . you would not leave a $100 bill on the boat and walk away for 10 minutes so why would I leave ,3 rods at $250 each in the boat and walk away. my rods don't touch the boat till the last minute.
I don't follow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts