2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Haynie HO/Merc ProXS
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We fished in my buddies boat today and it is one sweet ride. We left the dock at the break of day headed for the mid bay reefs. The bite was slow in the early hours, with a little of the incoming tide still moving. We hit several reefs and fished water from 5' to 8'. On my 5th cast, I had something crush my top water and it sounded like and looked like someone did a cannon ball in the water, with a big splash and noise. I set the hook and it was a solid fish taking drag. As I was bringing it in, it didn't have the head shake of a Trout, so I thought I may have a Red. To my surprise, I had about a 4 pound Gaff Top on TOP WATER!!! WHAT, a first for me on top!!?? We really did not get on any fish until about 10:15, with an out going tide. Man, I could have slept in! We finished the day at noon with 10 Trout and 1 sandy big enough to eat. We caught several under sized Trout as well as several Sandy's. The water was off colored and looked like tea in the early morning on the South side of East Bay. The Northern side was better looking water. All fish were caught on plastics (Dark colored and Electric Chicken) in 5' to 8' of water. We fished real slow, bouncing it off of the bottom. The bite was super soft again today and some just seemed to be holding it.

Attachments

·
big dog peter
28 Posts
Ghost: From your report it would appear the mid East bay reefs like Hanna's is where the fish are hanging out. I plan on taking some friends out tomorrow and was wondering where to fish as last weekend there was little action in East Galveston Bay?

I fish arties but my guests will be fishing live shrimp if the bait shops have any left over.

Have you heard anything happening near Goat Island in East Bay?

Thanks for the update. I hope we are as successful as you were today.

·
Haynie HO/Merc ProXS
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bigdogpeter, I have not heard any reports on Goat island. The fish we have found seem to be holding in deeper water from 4' to 8' over mud/shell.

·
Get Off My Bay!
6,584 Posts
Nice report D. With that full moon it doesn't surprise me you guys didn't start catching until then. My chart I look at the shows "feeding times" said am prime time was 10:30. Iwas going to head down real early, but i think i'm going to wait and get inthe water about 9am. Your buddies boat is nice, just like the Champions. They ride great.

·
Chillin'
4,570 Posts
Nice going, ghost. Had to be a mixture of pleasure and pain (read slime) catching that big gaffer on top. Pattern doesn't seem to have changed much over the past few weeks.

bigdogpeter, you might want to try the north shoreline reefs ... off the edges in 4+ feet. Try some space guppy BAs. ;)

·
www.crittergitters.net
1,896 Posts
Good job there dude.Same spot?Not sure if I will ever get out of this place.When I do I will yell at ya to rip some lips.

Again good job .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts