2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My last three trips have been plagued by a cold start problem.We have a 2003 evinrude fitch ram injection 115 the first start of the day is a extended crank.I have to cycle the key any where from 25 ti 40 times before the engine will start.The engine is turning over strong but will not start.Once the engine does start it will start ok the rest of the day.We just brought the boat up from Rockport for service to the selliing dealer in Houston..They replaced the plugs,fuel filter,battery,and serviced the lower end.They indicated every thing was good to go,yet,it took me 20 minutes to start Sat am and 15 minutes Sun am.This engine will normally start right up.I am interested if any once else has had this problem.The engine performs great once it starts and has around 20 to 35 hours.Thanks in advance for your time.

B.D.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scott the gas bulb is so hard you cannot sqeeze it with two hands.I feel like it is more electrical related than fuel.I would like to find someone in the Rockport area to check it,but I'm not sure which dealer to call.Thanks.

Bob

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
It seems as though the electronic choke mechanism is not working. Try removing the cowling and manually closing the choke plate next time you try and start the engine. OMCs are notorious for cold starts but your problem sounds like something more.

·
Lower Keys ShallowSport Club Members: 1
2,188 Posts
Have you tried disengaging the shifter and giving it some gas while you crank? Usually works every time. My old Evinrude shifter would just pull away from the housing, then you could push it forward without putting it in gear. My Yamaha has a button you have to push first.

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
TooShallow is right about the electronic choke to verify it do this,if it dont start hit it with a shot of starting fluid with upper lube in it, if it kicks right off you know you have a choke problem.
Lobo Jim

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did not think fuel injection had a choke,sounds like I need a shop manual!!Thanks for the input.

B.D.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
You're probably right...my bad. I did not read carefully. FICHT systems probably use a cold start valve. Any mechanics on here with some advice.

·
The Duck of Death
2,247 Posts
Tight , I have a FICHT too. The only other suggestion I have for you is to first turn the key to the run position ( NOT START) for 10-20 seconds . You will hear the fuel/oil pump running. When you hear the pump quit running the fuel systems are fully pressurized. You should now be able to start it on the first crank.

Also keep that new start battery topped off as FICTH's are notorius for needing a high amp battery

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,165 Posts
Exactly goingcoastal. EFI has to pump in some gas first. Same on a Mercury EFI.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input guys.We are going back down this weekend-the dealer and I spoke about leaving the key in the start position for a few seconds before starting.This problem started when the battery was low.I thought it would be cured with a new battery.I know on the newer model cars the electronic control module has a prom that has to be reflashed to cure various problems.I'm not sure if that holds true for the Evinrude motors.The dealer I'm using does not have the software to access the computer,we will see what happens over the weekend,again thanks for the advise.

B.D.

·
The Duck of Death
2,247 Posts
As I mentioned before you really have to keep your start battery fully charged with the FICTH . It takes "X" amount of amps to start and you aint getting "X" amount it aint starting . Not like the Old days of carb'd when you could coax it along.

Tight , if ya can do your self a favor and get ya an on board charger . I cant belive I went all those years swappin charger's ect. ect.
I got a 3 bank pro-charger for $ 125 or so .

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Coastal-your the third one to give me that advise.I'll be taking one with me this weekend.

Thanks B.D.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We finally got back down to Fulton Beach-put battery on the charge for a couple hours Friday night.Engine started right up Saturday morning after waiting the 20 seconds.Fished Copano bay caught a few trout around Smith reef,Rattlesnake point and Italian Bend before getting slammed by the cool front.We left the boat at Pop's marina Saturday night.Sunday Am engine started right up with no problem.Sunday was a blow out,but we had a great time.why does the wind always blow on the weekends??!!! Thanks for the input.

B.D.

·
Registered
141 Posts
My dad went through the same symptons with his motor. I think it is a 2002 200hp.
He went through several service trips, batteries, even tried a new battery switch to no avail. Finally determined it was the computer (ECM?). Had it redone/replaced and has not had a problem since.
Good Luck,
jj

1 - 15 of 15 Posts