2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad is considering selling a houseful of trophy mounts. His health is steadily deteriorating and he wants to try to sell the mounts.

I am wondering if anyone knows a way to put a value on them. He has bass, ducks, geese, coyote, bobcat, bears, mule deer, white tails, elk, moose, prairie dog. mouflon, aoudad... You get the picture.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Bogey

·
Registered
375 Posts
Call the new bass pro going up on the Beltway & 288. I think they purchase alot of that kinda stuff when they are building a new one.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses, I thought of Ebay, but wondered if there was some other way to evaluate them. mtaggie03, that is an idea, I may check with them.

Bogey :D

·
Give it hell Remy!
42,848 Posts
Look on Ebay... they bring quite a bit if they are in good shape and even more if they are really impressive. You might also try an auction house or estate sale place.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Bogey, is there any way you can give him a lump sum to satisfy him so you can keep them? I completely understand that when you need money you need money, but if it were my old man I would consider those things heirlooms, it's not like you can go down to Wallyworld and buy new ones. Anyways, just my .02$, not trying to get into your dad's financials or anything like that. Best of luck to both of ya.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Just so you know, it is highly illegal to sell any type of migratory bird. If it is pen raised and you have all the papers O.K. This goes for live birds, dead birds, mounted birds, any parts of the birds, or their eggs. It would be O.K. if he would gift them. You just cannot sell them.

Not sure of the laws on mammals, but I would check with TPWD before you take money. Many of the mounts on E-Bay are pen raised.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
StinkBait said:
Bogey, is there any way you can give him a lump sum to satisfy him so you can keep them? I completely understand that when you need money you need money, but if it were my old man I would consider those things heirlooms, it's not like you can go down to Wallyworld and buy new ones. Anyways, just my .02$, not trying to get into your dad's financials or anything like that. Best of luck to both of ya.
Not an option, though I appreciate your noting the heirloom part. He does not need the money, he is just old, sick, and "thinks" he should do something with them. We have successfully staved this off, since they do mean a lot to him above all else. They are all above average mounts, he was an awesome hunter, and had lots of opportunities over many years. I built the den of his home strictly to show off the mounts. We do intend to hang on to certain ones, but you would need a lodge to show them off correctly.

Bogey

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
If he doesn't need the money you might consider putting them in a Cabela's, bass pro, or Gander Mountain. They are usually very happy to put nice mounts in their stores on loan. They will probably even put plaques up with his name on them. If you really just want to sell them, most of those places will buy them as well. I have a good friend that is a taxidermist who sells to these stores regularly.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cobrayakker said:
Just so you know, it is highly illegal to sell any type of migratory bird. If it is pen raised and you have all the papers O.K. This goes for live birds, dead birds, mounted birds, any parts of the birds, or their eggs. It would be O.K. if he would gift them. You just cannot sell them.

Not sure of the laws on mammals, but I would check with TPWD before you take money. Many of the mounts on E-Bay are pen raised.
Seems I had heard about migratory birds, but I have no idea about the other mounts. Also, it seems that a bankruptsy or an estate sale can get a permit. But that may just be for the bankruptsy or death of a taxidermist,,,

Gotta study on this a bit.

Thanks for all the info, keep it coming if you know any answers

Bogey

1 - 12 of 12 Posts