2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
the love of my life
9,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i will be doing some trolling if its like calm-- wed-- thurs-- friday--need to know how fast to troll-- what lures might be good-- or what live bait to troll--not targeting any paticular fish--- just want to fightum--- take a pic--- letum go-- then post the pics for u to see--- any info much apreciated----

·
15,099 Posts
There's about a thousand trolliing lures out there. Most of them work.
I'm no expert on this but I've caught a boat load of Kings and a few Jacks troliing over the yrs. Its not my favorite.
I did better trolling hot mullet, for snapper, on the seawall..........back in the day!
For King Mac's or Jacks troll about 4or 5 knots, big Blacktips and Spinners will hit big trolling Rapala's as well................get ready for a scream if that happens.
Find a culling shrimp boat.

·
Academy Sports & Outdoors Manager
1,249 Posts
Where in the gulf are you fishing? Water depth? Do you have good trolling tackle for the big fishies?

·
Academy Sports & Outdoors Manager
1,249 Posts
Most likely you will be running into kings, jacks, bonito and sharks. 3-4 rigs with ~300yds of 20# - 30# will easly handle what you are most likely to encounter. Put a pair of plugs off the corners 35' and 50' back (rapalas, yozuri's, mirrolures, strech 30's, russlelures...capt's choice really) and run a jig (islander, tuna clone, snapper slapper, or 1 oz bucktail...capt's choice again) with a menhaden, cigar minnow, or ice fish down the middle at 100' back from 4-7 knots.

If you are by yourself this will probably get you in trouble during a hookup. Keep the boat in gear at lowest speed and it will help you keep from crossing lines.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
The more acres you expose your bait to the more fish will see it, we troll @ 14-17 knots , the fish are swiming at some 40-60 knots at strike time, so you are not going to troll past em as you can in fresh water for stripers, maybe a ska fisherman will reply i would like to see thier trolling speed also

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I troll a lot, & depends on sea conditions, as to which speed is best. I'm usually in the 8 knot range when trolling lures. Live bait trolling is barely in gear. A lot of guys I fish with/ don't especially like trolling, because it can be boring, but it sure is nice to hear that real scream when something big takes hold. Also I believe that more time spent w/lures in the water will produce hookups. I'm not big into bottom fishing, it's hot, can be bouncy, & if not productive, then you run all over the place looking for another spot. Trolling on my boat runs between 3-4 gallons an hour, better than burning 8 gals. an hour running around. To me, it's being out there & enjoying offshore. At least your moving, & you never know what will strike a trolled lure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts