2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to buy a trolling motor for a 17' VIP BayStealth. I was hoping to not spent more than about $300 or so. Does anyone have any suggestions. Would like to know about what length I need and how big. Again cheaper the better.

aggiefisher

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just looked at the minn kota riptide 55. It is 55 thrust with 52 inch pole hand operated. Do you think the 52 inches is long enough and will the 55 thrust push my 17 ft enough.

aggiefisher

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
got a 18 kenner VT ,purchased a remanufactured G/W from the folks at GULF COAST TROLLING MOTORS (inside cut rate on I45) bought it 7 years ago never had a problem it came with a warranty an looked brand new ..I do wish i had more power any wind over 10 knots can slow you down ...my advice save your money until you can get the big dog..Grey dog how was PM

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
go big. this is an investment. look to spend 7 to 8 hundred and go with the bigest one 110 thrust. trust me you will be glade.
aggiefisher said:
I am wanting to buy a trolling motor for a 17' VIP BayStealth. I was hoping to not spent more than about $300 or so. Does anyone have any suggestions. Would like to know about what length I need and how big. Again cheaper the better.

aggiefisher

·
Chest deep in the Blanco River
1,838 Posts
Hey

aggiefisher said:
well do you think the 55 thrust is enough to push a 17 footer?

aggiefisher
I've got that EXACT troll on my 16'9' Skooter - It does everything I want it to do. Picked it up from Gulf Coast at FTU - It was the floor model they were replacing so I saved some there. I figured getting the floor model was close enough to new for me. Same warranty, never plugged in, just alot of paw prints :)

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
The 55 # is plenty for a 17' IMO and the 52" is plenty long enough. The Minn Kota 55# runs on 12 Volt so you only need one battery too, and is around $425. the transom mount are a little cheaper. Be sure it's a white saltwater motor.

·
POC chunker
9,209 Posts
GreatWhite4591 said:
I've got that EXACT troll on my 16'9' Skooter - It does everything I want it to do. Picked it up from Gulf Coast at FTU - It was the floor model they were replacing so I saved some there. I figured getting the floor model was close enough to new for me. Same warranty, never plugged in, just alot of paw prints :)
Your scooter has a lot less hull above the water to catch the wind than his Pathfinder would. As others have said, bigger is better. I've got a 55 on a Whaler Montauk (17') and it is adequate in no wind, and next to useless in any wind over 10mph.

·
A.K.A. Jacob's dad
2,440 Posts
Got a 55lb Motorguide Great White. Moves my 18' Baystealth VIP with no problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts