2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trolling motor batteries! What are some proven batteries for trolling motors. I am looking at a 24volt 71 lbs/thrust motor. What about a brand of onboard charger for the two 12 vdc batteries? I plan to use my other two batteries for starting and bait well pumps, allowing the motor two charge them..

What have you guys learned about the equipment choices?

·
What's a Corky?
3,107 Posts
Darn good question

I find myself replacing my trolling motor batteries WAY too often. I would love to see some experience speak here.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I've got to tell you about Conversion Tech of Houston. He has started selling and installing Marine Electronics.From what I understand the work he does is excellent. From all his experience installing conversion kits and misc. automotive electronics and the like his installs are fast and clean. The rates are excellent and he has a quick turn around.. He also can get you hard to find items a lot of times. This guy is fair and honest. 713-503-7743.They're up on West Little York a mile or two West of Beltway 8.I forgot the phone number to they're shop too, sorry. 713-896-8324.

Tod can help you out just give him a call.

·
The Duck of Death
2,246 Posts
I'll tell you what I do , I get used UPS battery's from Battery Express in Pasadena . Their high rate gell-cell's used in the computor back up system's @ Nasa . Nasa has to replace them every year but they still provide a year or 2 of good trolling motor use.I have a 82lbs thrust trollin motor . They last me all day chasin birds
Best part is their $ 20 ea cash money . Also be sure your charger is ok for use on Gell Cells's . Standard charger over charge's GC's ruinin's em. They wont work as start battery's .

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Going coastal....
What gel cell charger do you use? What is it rated charge 3,5,10 amps? What is their price range for a 2 batteries unit? I have flooded (acid & h2o) batteries for my start batteries. I have heard that most deep batteries last about three years! If the gels only last a year @ $20 wouldnt they cost about the same in the long run?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well, we got a 12-volt solar panel from Academy (the ones that are used on deer feeders) and it keeps our trolling motor going all day long. It works so well that we also got one for the live well. No problems at all.

·
The Duck of Death
2,246 Posts
I have a Guest onboard pro-charger . Its a trickle charger like 2 amp but max volt is 13.2v ( or something like that ) a standard unregulated charger ( or alternator ) can put out more voltage which is what cooks the Gell cells . I didnt say they only last a year . My last set lasted 2 years and really only one crapped out but I went ahead and replaced both anyway. Of course I use the heck outa mine and I have a 82 lbs thrust t.m. to go along with em.

·
Premium Member
15,899 Posts
I use (4) 6Volt batteries in series. These are deep cycle batteries with 850 amps each. I can troll all week on them without a charge. The charging system should be a "smart charger" that regulates charge according to 2.2 volts per cell. I am in a business that manufactures electric vehicles and have the material and know how if you need help. Jeff 281,384,9020

1 - 11 of 11 Posts