2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
JimD
7,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of the guys have a troll motor on their Baby Cats.

I have been debating doing it because the extra weight and more junk on the deck. I fish Galveston, Maty, and one or two times a year down south. Mainly wade but could get into sight casting for reds.

Are they worth the extra weight and expense?

Can I ask what you use yours for specifically (other than to just fish).

Which one would you get to run this little boat and what size battery to run it.? Already have the two battery perko switch.

Thanks,

Jim

·
PGA Member
7,828 Posts
Jim, I have the Minn Kota 55 on the the front right, the connection is in the front storage compartment, Donnie and Frank put it on. It's the same battery, I have that switch to run either battery also.

To get into some of those back lakes after the reds, it's worth every penny.
Not a fan of wading knee high mud

Attachments

·
Gone Fishin'
1,196 Posts
Wow, talk about a low tide! Never seen the tide that low in that area. Cool pics Nwilkins.

I don't have a baby cat although my boat is very similar in size. I have the wireless Min Kota 12v. Honestly, I don't know how I managed to fish without it the first few months I had my boat. I highly recommend adding one especially if you plan to fish marsh areas. It also comes in very handy fishing dock lights.

Here is a pic of my boat and trolling motor

·
JimD
7,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey NW, Sounds like the reds wore you out.?

How about a px of the mount? What steering did you go with?

JT what size do you have?

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
389 Posts
12v

12 Volt - 55lb Thrust

I can usually get two trips out of the battery before it needs charging. I have never ran it out in one day.
Two batteries, four position Perko switch, when up on plane turn the switch to "both" and charge both batteries and you shouldn't ever run out of juice. Good luck.

·
Gone Fishin'
1,196 Posts
Two batteries, four position Perko switch, when up on plane turn the switch to "both" and charge both batteries and you shouldn't ever run out of juice. Good luck.
I am guessing I would need to wire my starting battery into the switch as well?

Note: I only have two batteries on the boat. One for starting, lights, ect. and one for the trolling motor.

·
JimD
7,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Look at your brand of switch. You can get a single battery one with just off/ on with Perko or Bluewave or ?. You can get a couple of versions of dual battery? off, on for either #1 battery or #2 battery or both batteries depending on which switch you get.

Check what you have and then look for the dual comparable size so you would not have to redrill holes. They also come in different size and capacities.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts