2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any luck finding them in the Galveston system? They have had me curious for a few years now but Ive never caught one. I hear they are good to eat and wouldnt mind a change of pace to find some. Any tips or advice would be appreciated. Ive heard of folks catching them before but I dont know the who, what, when, and where. Please help!

Zac

·
Starboard List
1,882 Posts
I saw one the weekend b4 fathers day over by moses flood gate. He was swiming along with a sargasum grass raft. I tried to catch him but he was spooked by my bass assasin. He was about 20 inches or so the biggest i've ever seen in the bay. You best bet is to hit the grass lines offshore and sight cast for them. They float up top and almost look dead. As soon as you get near them they spook.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Sometimes they are pretty picky but the one I caught a few weeks ago hit a piece of squid on a small kahle hook with no weight. We were working a weedline about 15 miles offshore catching bait, ckicken dolphin, ling and that one triple tail. We saw others but they would not hit. I've heard a live shrimp freelined is hard for them to resist. First one I saw was fishing the surf at High Island floating next to some sargassum. It turned down my live shrimp under a cork. I think the cork scared it.

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dont have the rig to go offshore

Ive got an 18ft aluminum boat so Im not clearing the jetties. I thought I read somewhere that folks found them around channel markers along the channel and intracoastal. Maybe I was mistaken. Just thought Id try something different since the fishing has slowed a bit, at least for me it has.

Zac

·
Ken
541 Posts
The best way I know of to get them is to rig up for bottom fishing, baiting up with cut plugs of cannonball jellyfish. They will usually tear it up!

And yes, they're good to eat, too.

Good luck!

·
The Duck of Death
2,246 Posts
Only one's Ive ever seen in Galveston Bay were near Jetty's or T.C Dike . Saw one 3 weeks ago floating in some seaweed right off Dike.Usually they hang around something like a bouy or seaweed. But on occasion they will just be floating around by themselve's -so keep your eye's open. If you can see them before you spook em their usually aggresive and will hit anything . But if you spook em they will go down and pop up somewhere nearby but they will be harder to catch.

·
Back in da Saddle
10,159 Posts
Not actually in Galveston Bay ...More like 20 miles off shore ...but here is a pair I put some friends on. june 20th and they both inhaled a cigar minnow with a stinger hook !!!

john

·
Still a write in candidate HOMER '16
2,582 Posts
I saw one floating on top a few weeks ago whenm i was out for a ride on Shawns jet ski. It was about 600 yards out from crystal beach. I thought i was a black drum at first. I went buzzing past it and had time to turn around and get close before it spooked.

Josh

·
Registered
437 Posts
Last summer at San Luis Pass...

Water was excellent condition green to the beach.. 2 Tripletail were following under a 50 gallon plastic drum. Big triples!!! Followed the barrel and the fish all the way under the bridge before my buddy finally hooked one of em. Straightened the hook and lost him at the boat....

·
Back in da Saddle
10,159 Posts
if you simply stop and give them a little bit and then bangon your hull they will swim right and look at you like ok what's going on here!!!

that's exactly what these too did....

John

·
Registered
101 Posts
iv seen them just off the north jetty laying under a big mat of sargasum. it was pretty big maybe 24" long and wide.

·
Team BFA
264 Posts
I saw one today floating out past Seabrook. Thought it was a dead drum or sheepshead. When it finally got close enough to see clearly it flipped over and dove....... If I would have known I would have thrown something a it.

·
Registered
19,246 Posts
Check all weedlines just off the beach. Lots of times be schools of them around there. Catch em with plastic tails (touts) etc. Nice size too. Doesent have to be big patch of weed check out all obstructions small too.

Charlie

·
One more cast....
11,551 Posts
a BUDDY OF MINE ON THIS WEBSITE CAUGHT A HUGE TRIPLTAIL A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO. HE WAS FISHING SOMEWHERE IN GALVESTON BAY. NOT SURE WHERE BUT HE DOESNT GO OUT VERY FAR AT ALL. HE SAID HE SAW ABOUT FIVE THAT DAY

·
Old yellow member
2,273 Posts
Man this one came back from way back when.....

Zak - Now that you got that new ride we can clear the jetties and go find some. I caught some last year about 5 miles out under a weedline.

Matt

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Tripletail

Ah, the ever elusive tripletail a.k.a. black grouper. There are always a few around the Galveston Bay system this time of year but if you absolutely want to catch these wily critters on purpose you will have to journey to Matagorda, West Matagorda Bay to be exact. This bat will provide you with the best opportunity to boat one or more of these awsomely strong, beautiful and supremely tasty fish (my personal favorite). The bay abounds with the floating and attached shade structure that trips love like channel bouys, gas wells, and crab trap buoys. Simply motor up to the structure and toss a live shrimp under a float in the shady side and do hang on as tripletail have strength way beyond their size. Regular trout tackle will not have the backbone to pull anything more than a five or six pound fish away from the legs of a gas platform so the real ticket is to use 20# - 25# line on at least a medium heavy rod and you may find it prudent to have someone at the wheel to move the boat away from the structure once you hook a fish. West Matty may be a little further from your home than G-Town but I assure you the payoff is more than worth it. There are no bag limits or restrictions on these fish so use common sense on how many of these precious creatures that you put on ice. I hope this was helpful. Tight lines!

·
@Drew_Smoke
4,158 Posts
Was a limit ever placed on these by TPWD? I have heard of some taking a BUNCH of these in Matagorda. They were a rarity and now are pretty common it seems. Kinda like I hope the snookie population will become?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Largest one I have ever seen was caught by an old guy fishing for flounder off of the Pier that used to be near the ferry landing on Bolivar...the water was very clear and he snagged this thing on a mud minnow...This was about 15 years ago, and I remember he lost his pipe while he was fighting it...I didn't know what it was when he got it landed, probably about 28 inches or so, and looked like a deformed perch...I looked it up later and realized what it was, another guy on the pier called it a surf perch...The pier blew down years ago, but the pilings are still there...maybe this would be a good place to look for them...never seen them in the bay system around here (Gal. or Sabine) other than the one the old guy caught, saw a few one year on the LA side of the sabine jetties...

·
Registered
650 Posts
These were not caught in Galveston, but in a bay a few years ago. My first time to ever catch one in the bay and they are extremly strong fish. I saw one in Trinity bay a few years ago hanging under a log which was floating in the bay. I also saw one in Rockport hanging under a dock at Kontiki a few years back.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts