2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going on a family trip to NYC in July and need some advice. I'm looking for something cool and different to do. I know about all the regular touristy stuff, but would like to experience something "off the beaten path" so to speak. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Banned
1,540 Posts
honestly, unless you go multiple times, youre not going to want to miss the regular stuff... little italy is my favorite place of all... ellis island and lady liberty are really awesome as well, so is the empire state building, ive been three times and still havent gotten past the touristy stuff, the furthest off the beaten path i have been was checking out the thanksgiving day parade floats the night before while they were being filled with helium. we stayed in times square... there are a few bars around there that have some pretty amazing guests and is kept very low key... saw les paul play the last time i was there

·
DOINK
10,030 Posts
the street ho's are much better since Rudy. start there.. lol. what won mo says is tru. i have some buds that live in the city and you really just have to know. i have a blast everytime i go. but like anywhere, you need to know what the deal is...

I suggest going to a bar and chatting some people up... they will tell you.

·
Done Wit Dat
7,525 Posts
I'll probably be up there at the same time myself. Lotta cool stuff to do, as long as it's in the Summer, the place ain't too bad.

·
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
1,135 Posts
You want something different? Go to the East Village...you're sure to find pretty much anything that is anything but touristy.
The Bowery is in this neighborhood so there's some pretty good restaurants. The club scene is, well, let's just say eclectic, being as close to Greenwich village as it is. And by eclectic I of course me you'd never catch me dead in any of them. But I don't know your taste in music. Think Sixth St, Austin, on steroids.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Try Sylvia's Restaurant in Harlem. It's soul food.

Check out the history of the Chelsea Hotel on the internet. It's pretty cool. It's on 23rd Street between 7th and 8th Avenue. Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Dylan Thomas, Eugene O'Neill, Thomas Wolfe and Bob Dylan all lived there. Stanley Kubrick wrote 2001, A Space Odyssey while living there. It's an old apartment building built in 1883, but now a hotel/apartment.

It's interesting just to sit in the lobby and watch some characters come and go. Last time I stayed there I saw Johnny Knoxville in the lobby.

For good Spanish food, try Don Quixote next door to Chelsea Hotel.

Go to Chelsea Market just to walk around.

Best steakhouse = Peter Lugers original location in Brooklyn.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.