2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,
I just got to Bayou Vista to visit the family in advance of a training course this week. I thought my training started tomorrow (Monday) but it turns out it starts Tuesday, so I have tomorrow off. I planned to hit the surf before dawn, but drove down to the beachfront and it looked pretty bad, with little chance of green by tomorrow. I plan to hit Texas City (Mosquito/Dollar/Sand Flats) instead and flail away with the fly rod. I have a 5 and 8wt with me with an assortment of clousers, poppers, shrimp patterns, a couple of deceivers and some spoon flys. I have never fished this area with the fly rod (though have fished it tons using traditional methods) and just wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I won't have a boat tomorrow, but will have one on Friday and possibly Saturday.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated. Don't really need any specific locations (unless you are willing to give them up!) just techniques, retrieve speeds, tactics, etc.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I did get out this morning. Only caught 3 little sandies with the fly rod. My arm felt like it was going to fall off after 2 hours of blind casting, double hauling, etc. Switched to more traditional methods (ie,my chronarch and live bait since my mom said "bring me home some fish" and I was afraid to disappoint her!) and caught a 23" and 17" trout and a red pushing 20, but let it go. Fun morning.

I will give 'er another shot on Friday. There were some guys using topwaters down the levee, and I will throw some poppers there one morning before I leave.

·
Borders, language, culture
6,346 Posts
If you can shake free one evening (wednesday?) and don't mind driving to the pass area, we can take the Beavertail for a spin and try to find some fish.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stuart,
I would love to, but I am in Houston in training all week. Otherwise I would jump all over the offer.

Going to show my ignorance here, but I assume the beavertail is a boat, like the one pictured? That would have been sweet. Trying to lay out long casts in stomach deep water gets tiring.

Also, I found shooting line really tough. It may be from line softness as the line I am using is the same stuff I use up north. Temperature maybe? The line really felt sticky. May need to get some saltwater line.

I'm going to give her another go probably Friday morning and maybe Saturday with my brother before I have to go back up to Fly Fishing heaven in Alberta.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts