2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were fooled both days! Weather report from 3 sources says: "Wind 2-6 in Baytown" and "2-10 in Galveston"....NOT.....both days rough chop to 1-3 foot waves and wind to gusts of 20+...water dirty --4" visibility....no go with fish on Friday...went back again on Sat.. and had to go all the way acorss to the Smith Point side out of the S-ESE-WSW wind....did catch a few Specs and Sandys and saw a fella catch a nice Red, but few birds working and few slicks only found.....am a die hard so may try tomorrow....need to try out my new fly rod/reel!! JT from Baytownsad3sm

·
Banned
688 Posts
Dang! and Trinity is pretty shallow, you typically don't see it that rough. :bounce:

Good luck seeing debris in that water!

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Trinity is a big, open, deep bay. It gets rough really easy. Today was no exception! We found nothing by yoohoo out there. Losing all of the vegetation in the bay to the storm surge, and gaining a lot of silt, has let the water murk up really easily.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
What Trinity bay have you been fishing ? Trinity is mostly a deep bay...

Captain Kyle said:
Dang! and Trinity is pretty shallow, you typically don't see it that rough. :bounce:

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Kinda what I was thinking. A sneeze on the south shoreline can make whitecaps on the north shoreline.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I put in at Rosaland Park in Baytown....don't know if you consider 8,9,10+feet deep or shallow...guess its what you compare against...its over my head!! Less than the 30-40+feet deep at places on the jetties or deeper off shore...irregardless it was choppy and rough as a cob for fishing comfortably till I got to the Southern shore area!! JT from Baytown

·
Capt of the spyglass Potlicker club!
12,607 Posts
Ha,, rough aint the word for what it was friday and sat. that dang south wind at 20 plus was pounding my ars hard(did fiind some nice trout and reds though). Sunday I called it quits and played golf! LOL

·
Banned
688 Posts
I fish the west side no more than 2-3 miles off the coast most of the time and it can get down to 2.5 feet in some places. You mostly end up running in about 5-8 ft of water thats why I consider it shallow. I am also used to going around the jetties and the galveston channel until ike. I know stuff can kick up I just haven't seen it like the ship channel area and offshore before.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I took my boy out on Saturday and the only action we saw was in Tabbs. It was calm enough in there to have some birds working small trout, but nothing to stick around for.

We rode across to Smith's point and found better water and bait, but nothing eating. Then we ran back to the West side of Trinity, nothing really working there either. The middle was mildly rough. It must have been too windy for the Gulls as all 1.6 million of them where over in Tabbs hiding from the wind. Only saw Pelicans out in Trinity.

We did find a few sitting birds and drifted them for a bit, until we saw they were sitting on a dead fish, not live ones. Oh well.

We launched at Sylvan and had a good ride around the bay.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts