2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gene Mullins and I were having withdrawal symptoms after not fishing for over two weeks.... cleaning up after the storm, and just existing in Baytown while things were getting back to normal.....couldn't stand it anymore, and off we went from Roseland Park boat ramp about dawn....beautiful Sunrise to start off....water flat and clear to 18+"...about 60ish out so had come prepared with heavier clothing to start...Tabs Bay around Houston Point, and thought we would head up to HL&P Spillway to see what all the fuss was about!!! NOT....Saw some birds working around Fishers Reef then on to Elliots Reef....then anywhere birds sat on the water or flew above working the water.....BAM, BAM, BAM.....didn't matter what you threw or how you retireved(think I've even broken my drag on one reel setting the hook so frequently!!)We caught so many Specs and Sandys we quit counting total and just started counting how many consecutive casts we could make and not miss bringing in a fish!! The most was 25 and 28 casts and fish at two different spots!! You could miss a fish hit, and as you retrieved have 2-4 more hits to hook up.... Gave my buddy a hard time for whining about Bass Assassins being so soft that he had to change out his bait too frequently....chuckle!!! I alternated between BAss(mostly punkinseed/char tail) and Johnson Sprite Spoons in the copper color, but Gene was using red, purple, white....etc. and doing just as well!! We limited out(minus 1 each) fairly quickly on Specs in the 16-20" range and then waited to see if we were going to catch any larger fish....never really did, although hooked up on some that didn't make it to the boat that may have gone a bit larger.....literally unlimited numbers of 14 9/10s" specs....and tons of 1lb to, on occasion, 2lb Sandys....all fish fat as dog tics and full of spit and vinegar!! We are recuperating today....arms, hands, shoulders, feet, and legs gone!! Left, like I said at dawn, and although we usually come in by noon....yesterday we stayed out till 5:30 or so and still left 'em biting...never a lull in the fun!! Thank you Mother Nature....fine job, well done!!! Just find the birds and go for it!! JT from the Beautiful Lee College area of Baytown :birthday2

Attachments

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Forgot the Dolphins!!

As we were watching the sun rise in the East....we also had the good fortune of a pod of Dolphins(somewhere between 8 and 14) coming to play with us....you could almost touch them as they rolled over and would look at us with their big eyes....as you can see in the picture my Lab, Nina almost jumped in with them she was so excited....Second picture is Gene with a "monster trout" that he couldn't shake off....we removed the barbs on our hooks after awhile....to both lessen the damage to the fish and get them off quicker....JT from Beautiful Lee College area of Baytown :cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
I when out this moring lauched my kayak at mcullen park went to the spillway and not even a hit. So i started heading back to the park and i Big slick poped up in the flats so i started throwing my black and crome super spook jr and i busted 2 nice size reds so it wasent a bad day. nice report and some good fish yall have.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
type it in google earth map

Roseland Park
100 Roseland Dr
Baytown, TX 77520
portofhouston.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts