2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Saturday morning wasn't pleasant in the stand to say the least! Around 6:45 I see something moving thru the mesquites and to me it looked like a person, but I thought no way. Well about 30 yards from my feeder pops out a man with a gun looking to score off of my feeder! Well I told him to stop that I had a bead on him but he just ran into the woods. I hollored for him to get off my property and shot over the trees in his direction-- I know not to smart but I was ******!! As soon as I gathered my wits I called the local GW and he got to the house about 30 min later. We went to the spot where the guy came out and the GW said he thought he knew where the tracks might lead! Thirty minutes passed and he came back and just as I guessed it was the guy from the property next to mine that has been reported by myself and my friend three times for trespassing and hunting my pond!! Thing is he hasn't been caught in the act by the GW just yet and they haven't done anything about it also. I described the guy to him,he tracked him almost to the perps back door and still nothing has happened. What can I do to stop this?? Do you guys have any ideas on how to catch him? I'm gonna put up some game camera's but he will probably just tear them up. Also this guy has had several tickets issued this year already. What to do???

·
Team Blue Runner
508 Posts
Man that seems frustrating. I would try the game camera. Just dont put it where it is real noticeable. Hope you get him.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Put a round about a two feet from where he is standing next time. When he see's the dirt flying he will know you are serious !

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From his tracks it looks like the round in the air scared him some, I just wish it would stop. Also the guy can see my house that my parents live in and see all the vehicles around! From the trails he took it looks like this isn't his first trip aroun my place either!!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I've fought poachers for 20 years, it's a headache. We've had several deer taken off our place this year already. The warden has staked out the place but nothing yet.

The Warden has caught (2) in the past 20 years. (1) was a convicted felon & is still in Huntsville. The other was the brother-n-law of the District Attorney for the county I'm in & got off with a ticket. I have a sneaking suspicion that the one poaching this year is the same guy. Heck a ticket is cheaper than a lease, right? The Warden did say:

"Heck if sex offenders can get off with little more than a slap on the wrist, don't you think a poacher could too."

I feel your pain brother, it's a nightmare. I worry about my boy when he comes to age going to his stand & coming up on one of these poachers. You forget, a poacher has a loaded weapon as well. Makes my stomach turn if something happened to my boy, or anyone else for that matter. Remember a poacher is not in a stable mindset, be careful out there. Even though you shot he could go behind brush, etc to get away, you're stuck in a tripod/box stand & a sitting target.

·
One more cast....
11,524 Posts
take a 22 with ya next time and shoot him in the leg or the arse. Tell the police that you thought it was a hog. Put up no trespassing sign first.

·
Capt of the spyglass Potlicker club!
12,607 Posts
Sorry to hear about a hunting accident on your place,, prayers out to family!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I had the same thing happen a few years ago in fred. one of the frednecks/meth heads lives near the lease came on the property about 75 yards from my stand. I heard rattling and got off the stand. I walked up on this guy rattling and grunting in a bush...I asked him what the @#@# he was doing and he said hunting..i asked him what lease he was on and he started saying um um spring branch...Wrong answer...he was burnt enough to give me his identification...I gave info to GW and a few months later got with me and picked him out of a photo line up...haven't heard anything else

·
Paddle solo, sleep tandem
3,601 Posts
heavy-duty bear claw traps work really well, especially in mesquite like you mentioned. DONT ask me how I know. Also makes it really easy to identify your poacher in the local small town weeks later.

Just make sure no matter what route you take, you have a "No Tresspassing Sign" up and noticeable around the lease. We had people messing with our feeders, so I took it upon myself to add a little current to the box, not the feeder guard (did this so no animals were hurt) and even put a small lightning bolt with sharpy on the legs of the feeder so I'd remember. I'll see if I can find the pic I took of fingers, well flesh burnt on the metal box. I know that lit someone's arse up good.

·
Just call me JJ
7,579 Posts
heavy-duty bear claw traps work really well, especially in mesquite like you mentioned. DONT ask me how I know. Also makes it really easy to identify your poacher in the local small town weeks later.

Just make sure no matter what route you take, you have a "No Tresspassing Sign" up and noticeable around the lease. We had people messing with our feeders, so I took it upon myself to add a little current to the box, not the feeder guard (did this so no animals were hurt) and even put a small lightning bolt with sharpy on the legs of the feeder so I'd remember. I'll see if I can find the pic I took of fingers, well flesh burnt on the metal box. I know that lit someone's arse up good.
Please post up the DIY details on that one!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
When we dealt with this problem in Tyler County, the GW suggested that he could
issue a Notice of Criminal Trespass to the offender. Once the offender was notified,
then the next time we saw said offender on the property, he could be arrested based
on our sworn testimony. He issued the Notice to several locals and eventually they
all had to see the Judge. It helped some...

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Just a heads up.... if you shoot and kill a poacher or trespasser, you will go to jail for manslaughter or murder....

If you shoot and wound a poacher or trespasser, you will go to jail for assualt with a deadly weapon or possibly attempted murder/manslaughter.

If you shoot AT a poacher or trespasser, you can get charged with assault with a deadly weapon as well...

You can only use deadly force if you are in fear of your life.

I hate poachers and trespassers... I catch them all the time, but scaring them off with gunfire is just going to make things worse, and could result in you, him or both of you dead.

Just saying

Tempers flare and we dont always make the most sound decisions when they do, but remember, the reprecussions of such a decision can haunt you for the rest of your life.

·
3,601 Posts
Please post up the DIY details on that one!
A little bit of "foolery" goes a long way. I put a car battery inside the barrel feeder and dropped the hotwire down through a small hole I made right next to the downspout. The battery was sitting on a piece of ply wood cut smaller than the circumference inside the barrel so the battery would sit on top of what corn was left evenly. In terms of an "on/off" switch, I took an old kc daylighter switch and connected them to it-worked really well. The idiot didn't realize or maybe just didn't see where I ran the wire, after all it was black and well disguised, into the metal box containing the controls to my feeder. Then again, he/she just wanted to get in and change the controls back to feeding at 1am, 2am and 12 pm,1pm like they did before! Trust me, the pucker factor and the frustration of corn and protein pellets being slung into ones face at noon while filling feeders is enough to pi** you off and want revenge-especially when you find your feeder has been set to go off 4x in the middle of the night and day. It was at my feeder with the 3 hog lights- go figure.

·
3,601 Posts
Just a heads up.... if you shoot and kill a poacher or trespasser, you will go to jail for manslaughter or murder....

If you shoot and wound a poacher or trespasser, you will go to jail for assualt with a deadly weapon or possibly attempted murder/manslaughter.

If you shoot AT a poacher or trespasser, you can get charged with assault with a deadly weapon as well...

You can only use deadly force if you are in fear of your life.

I hate poachers and trespassers... I catch them all the time, but scaring them off with gunfire is just going to make things worse, and could result in you, him or both of you dead.

Just saying

Tempers flare and we dont always make the most sound decisions when they do, but remember, the reprecussions of such a decision can haunt you for the rest of your life.
Exactly, so make sure when you decide you're life is in jeopardy, shoot to kill. If a poacher is around me I will go out of my way to make sure he/she doesn't see me, however, like the book "Most Dangerous Game" people are hunted and don't even know it. When poachers are involved, its not always a case of running and hiding, esp if they beat you to your spot-then YOU become the hunted. Poachers are not of the same thought process as normal human beings and out for food bc most times they cannot afford to hunt or they are wanting your crop. That being said, they are dangerous and should not be dealt with lightly. Every one of them is armed and I would say will shoot you if they feel they have even the slightest advantage once being noticed. If it comes down to mano y mano, better make sure you're the first one to fire if you feel like you're life is in danger...bc when it comes to life, you're not a cat with 9 lives, you're a human with ONE.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Guys, thanks for all the info! Is there a GW or sherriff that visits the site that could give me some expert advice so that I know which way to solve this problem? I was looking up trespassing laws and seen that just trespassing was a Class B mis. and trespassing with a gun was a Class A mis. Could you go to jail for these offenses? Also how much evidence do you need to get problems like this taken care of???

·
3,601 Posts
Guys, thanks for all the info! Is there a GW or sherriff that visits the site that could give me some expert advice so that I know which way to solve this problem? I was looking up trespassing laws and seen that just trespassing was a Class B mis. and trespassing with a gun was a Class A mis. Could you go to jail for these offenses? Also how much evidence do you need to get problems like this taken care of???
I always always ALWAYS carry a camera in the field with me...I mean between all the UFO's we see while hunting, monster bucks and occasional poacher-why not?! In all seriousness though, its a great tool to have and can be your most trusted piece of equipment in the field!

1 - 20 of 121 Posts