2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to take a rod and reel on vacation next week to Huatulco and want to know what anybody's experience has been in the past? Can you pack a one piece in a hard case and check it in with your luggage? Should I try to buy a two piece and carry it on? Should I forget about it and try to rent one at a near by marina?

·
Always imitated... never duplicated.
4,848 Posts
Single Case

From any sporting good store.. LOCK IT.. put fragile on it and pack it TIGHT!!!

You should be ok!

Jode

·
Registered
183 Posts
if you go with a one piece in a hard case, call the airline to check length limits. I took a casting rod to Cabo a couple of years ago and just barely made the length limit. I do not remember the limit but 72" comes to mind - may have been longer. Better check with the airline.

·
Rain Rain Go AWAY
1,180 Posts
Don't Do it

rcw said:
I would like to take a rod and reel on vacation next week to Huatulco and want to know what anybody's experience has been in the past? Can you pack a one piece in a hard case and check it in with your luggage? Should I try to buy a two piece and carry it on? Should I forget about it and try to rent one at a near by marina?
I wouldn't do it...I have in the past...Never had a bad experience except this last time. I have a rod case and the hole 9 yards, marked it fragile. I opened the case missing 4 inches and no where to be found. Continental is paying me $500 for the mishap. The only way I am bringing a rod with me again is if it is a 3 or 4 piece flyrod.

I would just buy a rod there, 20-30 bucks....

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
3 piece travel rod is the way to go. I have 2 from penn and one from St. Croix.

I know islanders custom tackle had one more penn travel rod in stock over the weekend. Comes with a travel case. It is 15-30 lb casting rod. I have caught plenty of sails on these rods.

-Mike.

·
Gig 'em '00
981 Posts
If you do take a 7 footer, don't call or ask. Just show up at the baggage check with it. It is one of those cases of beg for forgiveness, don't ask for permission. Most times they just check it right through with no hassle... at least on SWA.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Don't take a good rod. No matter how good of a case you have, they can break it. I had one that was 'oversized' and they charged me around $70 oversized baggage charge. Then they broke it anyway! No fun getting to the baggage claim and seeing your rod case with 4 rods busted in two.

I don't think you can carry a two-piece on with you any more. Check with your particular airline for exact details on that.

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Flew to San Diogo last weekend before last for a 2-1/2 days trip (Blue Fin Tuna ). Took my two favorite rods. Made my own case out of 3 inch pvc pipe 6'10'' long, handle made out of a dog liesh and duck tape put some fishing stickers on it. Flew Southwest no problems. Just made it on a wim. Hope this helps. Mike PS: You can toss and throw it all around.

·
Iusedtofish
2,893 Posts
Go with what Tunaman said, 3in pvc and put the screw plug on one end and a cap on the other.. I have done that to Cabo, pv and CR with no problems.. be sure and stuff a bunch of rags or foam if you have any laying around..

·
Excel, it's easy to be average
2,153 Posts
If you fly first class you can carry 3 individual 3 piece travel rods with you attached to a bag in overhead luggage. Carry your tackle, reels, and waders with you in the overhead luggage. Check your clothes.

Charles

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I checked with the airlines and 84" is the max and it counts as one of two pieces of luggage you are allowed to check. Not sure what I will do but the hotel kayaks and all the rock formations in front of the hotel are very tempting!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.