2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran a trip out of the GYB Saturday. First stop was at 28 milea where as soon as we started boating snapper, flipper showed up. She was big with a hooked dorsal and some kind of growth or scare on her port side of the fin.
Needless to say after she showed up we headed out. Next stop was 8 miles further out. She showed up again. We went from just offshore of the Bucc field to HI 480 cut off rig. Maybe 4 stops in between and she followed us to every spot. My Cabo isn't an 8 knot pig! She cruises 24 kts. Has anyone ever experienced this? I know for a fact it was the same flipper.
I've been out there more than most and have never had one follow me all day and that far!!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Had one follow me between 3 or four rigs years ago out of freeport. Before we got the lines in the water at the next rig, there was our friend.

That dolphin must have eaten 20 popcorn snapper throwbacks. What'll they do if we go to a first five fish snapper rule??????

·
W.W.
7,397 Posts
I am almost certain we've had the same one follow us about 6 miles. Am thinking it was the same one cuz when we stopped and drifted it would hang close to the side of the boat and just come up and look at us from about 4' away. They are a good show at times for newbies onboard, had one at 202A that would pop its tail on the water 2-3 times over n over but the snaps never stopped biting. With other species when food is abundant the litters are bigger, could see a change if the 'first 4-5' come into play. Have had Buzzards follow me while hunting, waiting on a gutpile. WW

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yes, that same blackfish followed us several times last year. Hooked dorsal, white scar, we were running E out of Freeport, I think. Furthest I remember her (she had a calf early last spring) running with us was about 3-5 miles.

Small world.

·
Registered
552 Posts
It happened in Panama City Fla. They followed us for 10-15 miles every stop they (flippin flipper) would come up and steal our fish. I think they come in on the sounds of the boat motor. They supposedly have great hearing so they probably associate boat motor sounds with food.

CHA CHING said:
I ran a trip out of the GYB Saturday. First stop was at 28 milea where as soon as we started boating snapper, flipper showed up. She was big with a hooked dorsal and some kind of growth or scare on her port side of the fin.
Needless to say after she showed up we headed out. Next stop was 8 miles further out. She showed up again. We went from just offshore of the Bucc field to HI 480 cut off rig. Maybe 4 stops in between and she followed us to every spot. My Cabo isn't an 8 knot pig! She cruises 24 kts. Has anyone ever experienced this? I know for a fact it was the same flipper.
I've been out there more than most and have never had one follow me all day and that far!!

·
Registered
295 Posts
We had the same thing happen out of Freeport last year. Got a few good snapper on a couple of drifts and Flipper and his freinds show up. We pick up & go to another spot about two miles away, have a couple of good drifts, Flipper & freinds show up, no more bite. This happened at six different spots over probably 10 miles. They would come right up to the boat and just about take the undersized snapper out of your hand. The interesting thing was we would mark good fish at each of the stops, but after they showed up, nothing. It was like somebody screamed RAID ! in the old commercial.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
We see the same pod @ Apache it seems like everytime we hit it. They can take down as many undersized snapper you could feed them. Brother inlaw had one hit a king fish. Had the king in it's mouth and took off on a run. He said the dolphine almost spooled him before he ripped the head out of it's mouth. Anyone ever hook a Dolphine?

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a customer reeling up a snapper once. Flipper ate it on the way up and the fight was on. The customer swore it was just a giant fish but when flipper came up to blow so did his line. Flipper ate the fish and didn't even know it was hooked. When it finally figured out something was wrong my TLD-20 became unspooled very rapidly. I cut the line before it reached the knot. Needless to say the customer was mad and still thought he had a giant fish. Not a very good tip that day.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
We hooked one last spring. It ate a sardine. Very strange. It was a smaller one and didn't spool us. We got as close to it as we could. It stayed on the surface. Then we just broke him off. Talk about a pile of muscles!!! Whew.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
We are magnets to flipper and friends , Mix up some cheap cereal,menhaden oil, and ceyene in a bucket with a lid on it. When the gang shows up , put out the flavored chum and they will leave just as fast as they came in.

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
yeah we've been experiencing the same thing and also with sharks as well. The word on the block is that the earth has made a slight shift especially after Tsunami and the earthquakes and hurricanes as well. All the big palagics have moved in from Ala, Fl and other parts of the world and are demolishing the food supply on the Texas Gulf Coast, along with these illegal fishermen who are catching and keeping hundreds of lbs of undersize snapper in state waters, which one was just caught here recently. As far as the Sharks, there may be a shortage in Florida and Alabama cuz there all in Texas and are close in. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I lost lots of hooks last weekend to sharks. Seems like snapper spots that were very productive before Rita are now shark holes. I'm talking about hard spots or bottom area. Maybe when the fish all went to the rigs when the current was so strong during Rita thay never made it back to there bottom structure because they ended up in fish markets and HEB seafood windows.

Anybody else notice all the sharks?

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Charks everywhere. It was even worse earlier in the season.

·
El jefe
2,605 Posts
yall should have taken advantage of 4th july , throw some m 80's over with a weight , the noise drives flipper crazy

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Went out a few months ago with Lord Bater and Team Sponge, Jerry (team Sponge) was drifting a bait, and flipper took it. About the time his rod bent over on one side of the boat, Flipper goes ballistic on the other side, close to 5 or 6 feet from me, went completely airborn, was a sight to see.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts