2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Say "when"
7,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share an email I sent to Galveston County Precinct 1 Commissioner Patrick Doyle. He did respond immediately that he forwarded my email to the trash pickup dept in the county.

Mr. Doyle:

I own a weekend place at Laguna Harbor in Port Bolivar. Last weekend I took some guests to the North Jetty just to look around..maybe see some birds. The trash was horrible where everyone parks their cars. I imagine you are constantly bombarded by this complaint and by now you may think there is no solution to trashy people. I just want to share a few observations I have regarding the beaches.

1. The tilted blue barrel system just does not work. The barrels fill up too quickly (aggravated by being tilted which reduces capacity) and just spill over.
2. In some places, like the base of the N. Jetty, Rollover, and where Retillion Road comes to the Bolivar beach I think large dumpsters would work better.
3. Also, I have an idea that many of my friends say is good. We need a rule/law, that If you are on the beach in your car you need to have a garbage bag for your trash, and produce it to LEOs if asked. This used to be a requirement for boats and would work for the beach too. Can't make people use the bag but they could be checked for it and ticketed for not having one (in addition to of course being ticketed if observed littering)
4. Where I live in Tyler, Smith County, county prisoner crews in orange jumpsuits pick up litter. A little fresh air for them and the trash gets removed.
5. Places like Florida use huge beach raker machines to control trash....sometime you might want to Google this and you will see companies that make those machines.

Anyway, thanks for listening.

·
Premium Member
40,471 Posts
4. Where I live in Tyler, Smith County, county prisoner crews in orange jumpsuits pick up litter. A little fresh air for them and the trash gets removed.

this should be standard everyplace

·
Winter Hater
9,448 Posts
good letter johnhboat, but i'm with JR. i don't want more excuses to stop and ticket the law-abiding. the pigs won't use the bag even if they had it. i fully agree with people doing community service as part of their judicial sentence picking up the garbage. the blue cans are better than what we used to have (nothing). i think though that the numerous builder/contractors would use the beach dumpsters as a repository for the building scrap - something the citizens shouldn't pay for.

challenging problem, fo sho and thanks again for addressing it.

·
Say "when"
7,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
about the dumpsters

My thinking is that public dumpsters ought to be all over the place in all counties. So what if people put household trash, tires, lumber scraps, etc in them. Duh? Just looky whats happening to that stuff now. In the city limits we all get trash pick up at our houses....imagine if that didn't happen (because "conservatives" voted that government has no business picking up private trash) and it was up to every good citizen to properly dispose of waste. Well we would have to wear high boots wherever we went to wade through rubbish.

About the trash bag idea....I admit that is forward thinking. But for several years I fished out of Venice, Louisiana with a fishing club. The law was that you had to have a trash receptacle in your boat. I even bought a special made net bag which attached to a console fitting....made just for that purpose and law. Not sure if that is still the law.

·
Registered
26,147 Posts
I understand where you're going with the trash receptacle in your vehicle, JB - but when I'm on the beach, i just put the trash in the back of my truck and take it up to the house.

Many of my neighbors do the same - and yet we still clean up after the trashy people leave.

·
COME AND TAKE IT
11,391 Posts
My thinking is that public dumpsters ought to be all over the place in all counties. So what if people put household trash, tires, lumber scraps, etc in them. Duh? Just looky whats happening to that stuff now. In the city limits we all get trash pick up at our houses....imagine if that didn't happen (because "conservatives" voted that government has no business picking up private trash) and it was up to every good citizen to properly dispose of waste. Well we would have to wear high boots wherever we went to wade through rubbish.

About the trash bag idea....I admit that is forward thinking. But for several years I fished out of Venice, Louisiana with a fishing club. The law was that you had to have a trash receptacle in your boat. I even bought a special made net bag which attached to a console fitting....made just for that purpose and law. Not sure if that is still the law.
I pay a trash man to remove trash from my home. He comes on mondays and thursdays. I perfer this method as if his prices get to high, I get another trash man.

Goverment taxes you to pick up your trash. They want to rasie the price, then they do so. You have no say it the matter.

No public trash pick up where I live, and we have lot less trash laying around then in the citys. Imgine that, free market at work.

County dumpsters mean more taxes. I do not live in Galveston county, so I could care less if they raise yalls taxes. So more power to you, go to a council meeting and propose your plan. Make sure you figure out how much each person's taxes will be rasied to pay for dumpsters everywhere.

·
Say "when"
7,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Disagree, disagree and again disagree

I pay a trash man to remove trash from my home. He comes on mondays and thursdays. I perfer this method as if his prices get to high, I get another trash man.

1. Goverment taxes you to pick up your trash. They want to rasie the price, then they do so. You have no say it the matter.

2. No public trash pick up where I live, and we have lot less trash laying around then in the citys. Imgine that, free market at work.

3. County dumpsters mean more taxes. I do not live in Galveston county, so I could care less if they raise yalls taxes. So more power to you, go to a council meeting and propose your plan. Make sure you figure out how much each person's taxes will be rasied to pay for dumpsters everywhere.
1. I pay 11.97 a month to the city for twice a week trash pick up with my water bill, plus no charge use of land fill if I want to haul big stuff there. What do you pay for the private contractor?

2. At least in East Texas, it is much cleaner in the city neighborhoods than out in the county along county roads....and don't get me started on the trash cans at those road side parks.

3. We won World War II , built the interstate highway system, and sent men into space with tax money....so a little more of the small county tax bill for trash pick up is OK with me. This is the problem...you are very responsible...you pay for trash service...so far so good. But then, in true "conservative" thinking you assume all other county residents are doing the same responsible thing. They are not! They are trashing the place up HUGE. If it were up to me, the county would be just like the city....mandatory trash service paid for by taxes.

·
COME AND TAKE IT
11,391 Posts
1. I pay 11.97 a month to the city for twice a week trash pick up with my water bill, plus no charge use of land fill if I want to haul big stuff there. What do you pay for the private contractor?

2. At least in East Texas, it is much cleaner in the city neighborhoods than out in the county along county roads....and don't get me started on the trash cans at those road side parks.

3. We won World War II , built the interstate highway system, and sent men into space with tax money....so a little more of the small county tax bill for trash pick up is OK with me. This is the problem...you are very responsible...you pay for trash service...so far so good. But then, in true "conservative" thinking you assume all other county residents are doing the same responsible thing. They are not! They are trashing the place up HUGE. If it were up to me, the county would be just like the city....mandatory trash service paid for by taxes.
think it is $15 a month, but would have to ask the wife. He tends to do a much, much better job then the city guys I watch. Thoose guys will not get out of the truck and pick up any trash that falls out when the truck grabs the trashbin. Got to suck for yall to pay for trash pick up, and still have to pick up trash from around your can all the time. Then all the trash in the ditches around the city, guess people think it is the city's problem to clean up that trash also.

Last time I lived in the city, it was $22 and they only came once a week.

I am not a conservative, so your wrong on that. I do not figure all problems can be fixed by goverment like you seem to think. In fact, goverment tends to mess up much more then they fix.

If you are willing to pay more taxes for dumpsters, then propose your idea to your county.

I feel that it is time for people to be responsible for there own actions. You seem to want responsible people to pay for thoose who are not. Raise the fines for litter, make it cost a few thousand if you are caught dumping trash on a beach. Give them the choice to pay the fine or clean a mile of beach each saturday for two months.

Inforce the laws we already have. Not to hard to glass a large section of beach and catch thoose who are leaving trash.

·
Winter Hater
9,448 Posts
it seems that a few galveston county undercover LEO's could easily spot the pigs and call it in to the SD guys patrolling the beach.

i don't know what being a conservative (politically) has to do with anything. but if it means that people should pick up their own junk, or pay the fine (law in place) for not doing so, i'm 100% certain that i'm a conservative. and i'm equally as certain that i don't want to pay for dumpsters for contractors to use. i pay for garbage service in galveston county that i rarely use. i don't haul it to the blue drums or to another county to take care of.

·
COME AND TAKE IT
11,391 Posts
Galveston and other countys have been spending tax payers money on this problem for a long time. It has not improved. Throwing more tax payer money at the problem or new laws is not the answer. These people are to lazy to take there trash to a blue trash can on the beach. What would make you think they would load the trash into there vehical and take it to a dumpster?

I spend a lot of time at the beach, not hard to spot people who leave there trash behind on the beach. Would take very little effort to start inforcing the laws we already have in place.

Have Galveston county inmates clean the beach on weekdays, people who got tickets for leaving trash on the beach clean it on the weekends.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I originally hail from the Carolinas renowned for their beautiful beaches and national seashores. On my first full day to Houston many years ago I drove to Galveston to see my "new beach". When I arrived at the East end where the road looks over the ship channel I saw trash piled up knee deep I was disgusted. I hadn't been back to that spot until this past September. Nothing had changed. Fundamentally this has to be a cultural issue. Who in their right mind pulls out their grub for the day at the beach and toss's the wrappers into the breeze? Who changes a baby's diaper on the beach and slings it 10 feet away? I have been on beaches all over the country and never do I see the amount of trash as I do along the Texas coast. Enforcement, Enforcement, Enforcement! Galveston is sitting on a cash cow in fines.

·
RIDE RED,HONDA!
10,218 Posts
why dont you email some county people/county jail/probation dept about inmates doing community service to pick up trash?about the dumpster ideal?? that sucks. who wants to see dumpsters all over the place? whos going to clean up the area around them when they get full and people throw their trash on the ground beside the dumpster and the wind blows it all over the place because the trash truck broke down and could not pick it up on the date they should? not sure what will work

·
Cert.Weigh Master,since 1999
15,195 Posts
Sure wish I could burn my trash like we used to many many yrs. ago. Less pickup at the curb. I NEVER saw a house burn down because of burning trash then. We used a 55 gallon barrel w/ a heavy screen over the top. Case closed at home, but as for the beaches here, its pathetic.

·
Say "when"
7,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Huh?

who wants to see dumpsters all over the place? whos going to clean up the area around them when they get full and people throw their trash on the ground beside the dumpster and the wind blows it all over the place because the trash truck broke down and could not pick it up on the date they should? not sure what will work
Lets see... one dumpster with the plastic lid to keep trash inside versus maybe a dozen overflowing open blue barrels. Not even close...the dumpster wins. It is possible to keep up with emptying dumpsters, but it is impossible to keep up with the barrels.

If we stay with small barrels at least use the kind I see at courthouses....Variations of a heavy frame around a trash can with some kind of cover allowing trash in but not out. (but part of the problem is big trash people have on the beach. 30 pack beer boxes, 2 liter bottles....those take up room in a small trash can fast.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Originally Posted by iridered2003
who wants to see dumpsters all over the place? whos going to clean up the area around them when they get full and people throw their trash on the ground beside the dumpster and the wind blows it all over the place because the trash truck broke down and could not pick it up on the date they should? not sure what will work

Lets see... one dumpster with the plastic lid to keep trash inside versus maybe a dozen overflowing open blue barrels. Not even close...the dumpster wins. It is possible to keep up with emptying dumpsters, but it is impossible to keep up with the barrels.

If we stay with small barrels at least use the kind I see at courthouses....Variations of a heavy frame around a trash can with some kind of cover allowing trash in but not out. (but part of the problem is big trash people have on the beach. 30 pack beer boxes, 2 liter bottles....those take up room in a small trash can fast.
I dont think the dumpsters are the way to go. I agree that a person that would for instance normally take a large cardboard box that they know wont fit into a barrel, home to their own trash. Wheras the same huge box they know will easily fit in a dumpster. dumpster will fill up just like the barrels in the same amount of time only there will be more of it and the stench will be X 10 from that in a barrel.

Don't the national parks have the saying "Pack out what you pack In". Then a big fine if you don't. Just a thought

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.