2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having Rik out on the boat he said the sounder wasn't working as good as it should and more than likely needed oil in the transducer, but to call Northstar to cofirm. I just got off the phone with them and they directed me to the Airmar website and I see where it talks about adding the oil.

Rik had mentioned something about mineral oil. The instructions call it propylene glycol - RV antifreeze. So is there a special kind I need to get or what exactly am I looking for, mineral oil, antifreeze, or is it all the same???!!

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
If you have the in hull ducer you will need non toxic antifreeze. Thats what I use in my in hull ducer and it works great.

Matt

·
Concrete Contractor
12,404 Posts
same here just antifreeze. You may have a leak then. How long has it been mounted in the hull?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
At first I thought this was going to be a muffler bearing / headlight fluid joke! Sometimes its even funnier when you are laughing at yourself!!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Just go to walmart and grab some mineral oil near the pharmacy. Grab a few bottles and keep some aboard for the future. It works just fine for us in our Airmar.

We actually had to refill when Rik was out with us a couple months ago too.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I'll try the mineral oil. Hopefully it's not a leak! It was installed in April, but who knows if it was filled properly then.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Just make sure the o ring is real clean and not dry or damaged. I had one leak recently and I cleaned it, replaced mineral oil and it is fine.

Good luck.

·
The Jammer
3,594 Posts
I had this on my Pursuit, and it was nothing but a complete pain in the ***. It was impossible to get to, and the box leaked at least 3 different times. I patched the box once myself, and almost fell into the hold, and the original installer redo it twice.

I finally canned that system and had a "thru the hull" 1000 watt transducer installed, and have never looked back. The clarity on my Raymarine C120 is fantastic.

THE JAMMER

·
Lifes 2 Short 2 B So Serious All Da Time
4,275 Posts
If I EVER AGAIN buy a transducer for MY offshore bottom machine, it will AT THE LEAST be a 1000W and most likely a thru hull....

Thats what I wanted in the first place and I was dumb enough to let the salesman and installer talk me out of it. sad2sm

They made me think it was an over kill for under 300', which I still fill its not, especially for these new High Definition machines that seem to love the power and information they receive from a quality high wattage transducer (in my opinon).

In my opinion (which dont mean a thing) there is more than night and day difference between the picture shown on a fishfinder screen (in my case a Raymarine C80) delivered by a 1000 w thru hull and a 600 w Transom mount off our coast of Freeport in Salt water. And in my opinon again, theres a pain-n-da-rear difference and some screen quality shown difference between a 1000w thru hull and a 1000w In-hull transducer with the anti-freeze/mineral oil.. I dont think your getting the full 1000w of power from a in hull. I feel the power is reduced maybe as much as 25%. But, Im not scientist, just a poor ole fisherman

They have those thru hulls now that are almost flush on the bottom with an adjustable lense (I guess thats what you call it)

I kick my self about that most anytime I get in 175'+ of water. Oh well...It still works real good and I still really like the machine, its just not great and as high defined as it could be if I would have told the sales man to shut up and gotten the 1000W thru hull like I wanted to in the first place... :wink:

Here's some of the choices incase a person doesnt know where to look http://airmartechnology.com/airmar2005/ex20/RMProducts/DrillDown.asp?Type=FF

·
Fountain 23 CC & Century 3000 Walkaround
160 Posts
Mineral oil works fine............Caution: Do not over fill. If you do, when you put the top and transducer back in the case it will take up some room and push some oil out of the case.

Tip: When you pull the top off, look to see how high the oil is on the unit in your hand..Try to estimate how much is needed to bring the level near the top...Then add a little oil and put the top on......Pull the top off again to see how high the level is now...The case does not have to be completely full of oil to work properly.

Good Luck, Catfish

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have mineral oil in mine but was thinking of going to antifreeze since it is not as messy, is there any difference in performance if I switch?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
good question! The instructions I see online say to use propylene glycol (non toxic antifreeze) and everyone else says mineral oil. I got both today at wal-mart and there's a big difference in the consistency. So I'm not sure which one to use! I guess I'm going with the mineral oil. I'm assuming everyone is talking about the laxitive mineral oil, right? Or is there another kind?

·
Fountain 23 CC & Century 3000 Walkaround
160 Posts
Either product will work equally well......

The purpose of the liquid is to displace any air between the transducer face and the boat hull....this allows the signals to pass "smoothly" thru to the bottom without being distorted by an air gap or even air bubbles.

In truth, any liquid would work just fine.......

The reason for picking mineral oil or anti freeze over other products is these two will "stay" in the case with out evaporating or freezing or anyother thing liquids tend to do like water getting "sour"

Mineral oil and the specifice antifreeze are NOT TOXIC which is a good thing!!!

Relax and use either product.......even mix them if you want.......no problem either way!!!

REALLY TRUE>>>>>Catfish

·
Registered
176 Posts
Catfish48 said:
Either product will work equally well......

The purpose of the liquid is to displace any air between the transducer face and the boat hull....this allows the signals to pass "smoothly" thru to the bottom without being distorted by an air gap or even air bubbles.

In truth, any liquid would work just fine.......

The reason for picking mineral oil or anti freeze over other products is these two will "stay" in the case with out evaporating or freezing or anyother thing liquids tend to do like water getting "sour"

Mineral oil and the specifice antifreeze are NOT TOXIC which is a good thing!!!

Relax and use either product.......even mix them if you want.......no problem either way!!!

REALLY TRUE>>>>>Catfish
100% correct. Any fluid will work just fine. All you do is trying to displace air.

G

·
Two Advantages

I've used both mineral oil and non-toxic anti-freeze and see no difference in performance between the two. What I did notice is that mineral oil makes a mess when it leaks and is harder to clean up. The other thing is that the anti-freeze, which is usually bright pink in color, is much easier to spot if there is a leak. Like the others on this board, if I had it to do over again I would go with a thru-hull.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Thanks for helping guys! I am not totally certain that is a total cure for his set but like I told Cris "it iis a good place to start. We showed the bottom everywhere even some
small hard bottom features and wrecks, but marked no fish. The GPS worked great and Radar seemed fine also. Rik
P.S. I eould check and use whatever fluid is currently there or change it out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts