2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
www.bayoumetalcreations.c om
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is time for me to service my tranny in my dodge and i was wondering if i should get the flush or bring it to the dealer and have the pan dropped.
I have heard a couple of times that the flush was not good for the tranny
any opinions?

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I've heard things about the tranny flush loosening up particles in the transmission, which causes transmission failure down the road shortly. I've also heard of people having no problems afterwards. I decided against it.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
When I had my '99 Z-71 the dealer told me that if it's not acting up, he wouldn't advise flushing the transmission or changing the fluid. That was at 100k miles, when I traded the truck in it had 155K and I never had any problems with it.

·
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The place that changes my oil wants 95 for the flush and the dealer wants 140.00 for the service not really that much difference plus they change the filter at the dealer.

·
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its not acting up and its only got 51,000 on it i will be trading it in next year so i might just wait.

·
Registered
678 Posts
96 ford f350 powerstroke. i've had it flushed every 25K miles at the dealer. no problems yet. going on 125K so next flush is soon.

bone

·
WHO DAT!!
3,242 Posts
Had mine flushed, ended up costing me a little over $3600.

THe flush stirred up material in the pan and clogged up the tranny cooler.

Drop the pan and change the filter, if the fluid isn't severly burnt, you're fine.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Agreed ShadMan, a dodge tranny is gona give you problems weather you flush or not. If flushed at regular intervals, a tranny will last longer than if not. But, if you have not kept up with maintenance on it, I would not flush it because the new additives and cleaners will cause it to fail.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Flush or Not

All of my company & personal vehicles get the pan dropped & filter changed the first time...thereafter a flush job. Done at 25-30K intervals. I've got two Dodge/Cummins with over 200K & about 6 Ford PSD with over 150K. All but one with original tranny.

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
if you are under 50k miles go ahead and flush it and keep doing it every 25-35k miles. if you are over 50k miles just change the filter and whatever fluid comes out when you drain it, dont flush it......

·
Stop Global Whining
494 Posts
3 tranny flushes and 250,000 miles no tranny problems. big tires (4x4) pulling trailers every weekend, sold it, new owner has 300,000 and still no problems. But like argo said if you never did it and got alot of miles it might be worse to do it. I just had my 90,000 mile work car done (flush) we'll see what happens 1st time to do anything to this car.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Just maintain it. Either flush or drop the pan, whatever you choose. Any transmission will benefit from regular maintenance. I ran 217k miles on my '96 Dodge transmission, and have 108k on my '99 with zero problems. I always drop the pan at 15-25k intervals...

·
Registered
11,958 Posts
Can someone educate me on why you need to open something that isn't meant to be open? I mean the pan on the transmission doens't have a plug and its a PITA to get it off. I have a 99 Silverado and I have never flushed or drained the transmission. I have 175k miles on it and still runs as good as the day I bought it off the lot. My uncle runs a 1994 Z71 and it has over 400k miles and has never messed with the transmission. Do that many people get transmission fluid change, you would think they would make it easier to get to like the oil pan.

·
Registered
826 Posts
It depends on how lucky you are and how good the transmission was built.
I have never done anything more than top off the flued on my '93 Chevy p/u, 170K+ miles.
I've heard of many tranny problems though with the 2000/01 models though.

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
I've purchased 1 transmission flush in my life ( over 31 years of daily driving) and had to replace/rebuild 1 transmission. You guessed it, 10 days after the flush.

I vote no flush. Change the fluid and filter at 30 000 mile intervals.

The tranny that blew was in a Ford Bronco .

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I was always told to flush it when it reaches 6K miles to get rid of all the metal shavings during break-in and then never flush it.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I had bad luck with the flush also. Flushed it at about 30 k miles afte a rebuild and it sent out. The 2 tranny places I had look at is said " do not flush". It probably blew a gasket or seal with the back pressure.

Who's right ?????

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
wickedinhere said:
Is time for me to service my tranny in my dodge and i was wondering if i should get the flush or bring it to the dealer and have the pan dropped.
I have heard a couple of times that the flush was not good for the tranny
any opinions?
Whay kind of Dodge do you have? What engine, transmission? PM me the last 8 digits of your VIN# & I will let you know what Chrysler said is required to keep the powertrain warranty active.
Chase.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts