2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new Tran 21' XLR8 LS is in the mold and im ironing out the details and set up for my new boat. Im installing a Minn Kota trolling motor and am wanting to know receptical/"plug-in" placement. I saw a 21' LS at Trans last weekend and saw that the plug-in was inside the front anchor storage. Im not sure if thats the the way Tran sets it up or if it was the owners prefrence but i am wondering if any of you have any suggestions or recommendations on an alternate position for the receptical? I am not to thrilled about the idea of having the wiring of my equipment being "pinched" under the lid of my anchor locker. Any ideas or suggestions would be great! Thanks and Merry Christmas! -Slim

·
Registered
389 Posts
switch

In my opinion, the absolute best way is a perko switch on the T.M. batt then a terminal strip under the front deck. If you use a piece of starboard with a hole for the wire then screwed down to the deck you can get a waterproof seal. Silicon as needed and 5200 3M for the plate.

·
Registered
317 Posts
My highside XLR8 is wired through the anchor box, but the plug is mounted outside of it on the vertical part of the step facing towards the back. No problems with it. The LS may not have the same step or lip as mine.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Plug

My plug is in the front box on my 20ls XLR8. This is the standard way that Tran rigs them. For me it is the best way because the plug stays dry and this reduces corrosion.

TIP: Take jig saw and cut a notch in the side of the fiberglass hatch cover near the front corner on the same side you mount your TM. This will keep your plug from getting worn out when picking up your trolling motor from the water. Also I extended the cord on mine.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I rigged one of these boats last week, the customer asked I drill thru the deck near the motor mount bracket and we connected the plug inside the box... The down fall is removing the plug whenever you remove the troll motor (he had remote control removable unit), but if you are going witha fixed mount this shoulndnt be an issue.. There is not many options with that flat front deck without pemetrating it in some way..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts