2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have test rode both the 200 SVT Tran Cat and the Haynie 21 CAT and from a performance and fishability standpoint I believe I would be satisfied with either boat. The reputation of both Chris Marine and Tran Sport Boats is outstanding so that is a wash.

Here is my dilema. The price of the Tran Cat hull alone is $5000.00 more than the Haynie. (This does not include the additional $1300.00 price increase for the 2010 model Tran Cat).

Does the Tran Cat provide $5000.00 greater value when compared with the Haynie?

Are there any other considerations I am missing that affect the value of the hulls?

·
Banned
2,734 Posts
Does the Tran Cat provide $5000.00 greater value when compared with the Haynie?

Are there any other considerations I am missing that affect the value of the hulls?
IMHO...you get what you pay for.

Tran= 100% glass

Haynie= Wood in the construction. decks, flooring,..etc.

The 100% glass constructed boat will give you many more maint. free yrs than the wood constructed boat. Pay now or pay later. LOL

·
Registered
612 Posts
THE WOOD USED IN HAYNIE'S IS CALLED BOAT PANEL AND IT HAS A 99 YEAR WARRANTY AGIANST ROT.. I WOULD NOT WORRY ABOUT THAT. YOU WONT HAVE IT THAT LONG. LOL BUY WHAT YOU WANT, BUT YOU DEFINITLY WILL NOT BE DISAPIONTED WITH THE HAYNIE.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have had both and would recommend the Haynie. The Haynie just rides better and seems to have the a little extra quality built into it. The additional weight in the Haynie from the wood will ride better in chop. Also, the marine board is a natural fiber and will flex as needed in a boat. All glass boats can get stress cracks in the deck. Do your research on all glass boats, many of them tend to have quality problems if they are not built correctly. By no way am I making a bad statement about Tran Boats, I have a 22' Transport now and it is one of the best all around boats that I have ever had.

·
2011 Haynie LS 2011 300xs
1,544 Posts

Tran= 100% glass

The 100% glass constructed boat will give you many more maint. free yrs than the wood constructed boat. Pay now or pay later. LOL
I will kindly dissagree on the wood subject, there are some very OLD haynies that have been repowered many times and are still kicking fine with zero rot.. I have also seen consoles get bounced loose on tran boats. I can see the hesitation people have with the wood thing as we have had a boat with wood before..But there is a huge difference in plywood and boat panel.

Both are awesome rigs... But if I could not own a K2marine product it would be a Haynie. There is no better service than what you will get at Chris's Marine.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've heard nothing but good things about tran, but have never personally dealt with him. I have dealt with Chris and plan to for a long time. great boat and excellent service.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts

Tran= 100% glass

All I know is I have a 2000 model Haynie with ZERO problems.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Justinp21 not sure if you have been in the SVT cat tran makes now. That boat is very very smooth and fast. I took it out for a test run and I was very impressed with it. The bay was very choppy and I ran across it going 50 mph didnt get wet. It was a very smooth ride. Then again I have never been on the Haynie Cat so I can't speak about them but the SVT is a sweet boat. Little different then the other cats that trans make. It was built off of the babycat design just in a high side 20ft model.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Nothing against Tran Sport but I wouldn't be able to pass up the following:

1. Top notch quality of a Haynie
2. Unbeatable, first class service from Chris and his guys
3. Mercury Optimax Power
4. $5000.00 in your pocket buys a lot of goodies

·
Registered
584 Posts

3. Mercury Optimax Power
1. Quality is so close I could not put one in front of the other
2. The service you get from Donnie, Frank, TV and all the guys in the back is first class. You would be hard pressed to find better. In my case Tran took my trade and gave me a fair price. When I told Brian what Tran offered he laughed and said they didn't want the trade and if I wanted that much I need to sell it myself. That made my decision right there.
3. Tran has Merc.
4. When I got mine there was not 5000.00 difference
5. I think Tran's aluminum looks better and cleaner, but that is just my opinion.

·
Registered
520 Posts

3. Mercury Optimax Power
In no way am I knocking Chris/Haynie, he has great boats and great customer service, but is there really a $5000.00 difference in price? Tran's boats come with a lot of standard equipment is that possibly where some of this difference is?

·
Watcha gonna do when we come for you!
440 Posts
Ive looked at both and there is a bit of a price difference. I think both are very well built boats. I do think looks wise the haynie is a bit nicer or "more polished up." I have seen some sweet Trans boats but they need to shy away from the 1970's gel coat colors in my opinion......which to there defense they have. I guess its all on what the customer wants.

I havent pulled the trigger on a boat yet but I will say Haynie has some of the best prices hands down and just dealing with them in the shopping process was a delite and what they are willing to do for you in the build process (install other equipment at no charge) is impressive too.....!!!

·
Registered
365 Posts
What hp did the Trans Cat have on it? I ran one with a 175 Suzuki 4 four stroke on it and it ran about 40 mph. The ride was awsome with the 20mph wind blowing in our faces. It will run pretty shallow too. I want to ride in a Haynie also but have not set up a time with Chris's Marine to do so. I have talked to them by phone and they seem to be very helpfull and i've heard they have great service as well. That is a hard one to choose.

Justinp21 not sure if you have been in the SVT cat tran makes now. That boat is very very smooth and fast. I took it out for a test run and I was very impressed with it. The bay was very choppy and I ran across it going 50 mph didnt get wet. It was a very smooth ride. Then again I have never been on the Haynie Cat so I can't speak about them but the SVT is a sweet boat. Little different then the other cats that trans make. It was built off of the babycat design just in a high side 20ft model.

·
did you see the size of that chicken?
287 Posts
have dealt with both, own a tran now and would in the future. just my two cents.

·
Registered
520 Posts
SVT Tran Cat

Tran has a video on their website showing their new SVT doing a hair under 50mph with a 4 stroke Yamaha 150 in slight chop conditions.

·
swift-silent -deadly...... U.S.M.C
364 Posts
WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH MAX HP ON SVT?

Tran has a video on their website showing their new SVT doing a hair under 50mph with a 4 stroke Yamaha 150 in slight chop conditions.
WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH THE MAX HP ON THE SVT? I WAS ON THERE WEBSITE A FEW WEEKS BACK AND IT SAID 225 WAS MAX NOW IT SHOWS 150 BUT I HAVE HEARD SEVERAL PEOPLE ON HERE SAY THEY HAVE ORDERED WITH 250'S ????? 150 DOSENT SEEM LIKE ENOUGH HP TO ME MAYBE IF YOUR JUST RUNNING AROUND WITH 1 PERSON AND HALF A TANK OF GAS I AM TALKING A FULL FISHING LOAD, GAS TANK FULL,LIVEWELL FULL OF WATER,COOLERS FULL OF ICE AND 2-3 GUYS IN BOAT WITH BOAT FULL OF FISHING GEAR

1 - 20 of 21 Posts