2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
stuck between going with the 20svt tran cat or the shoalwater 21 tran cat holds a 200 shoalwater holds up to a 250 but tran cat does indeed have a better price point and I have had zero issues running my transport baby cat. Any Recommendations Also pros and cons of running 200 suzuki vs 200 mercury.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I dont think you can go wrong with either boat. As far as motor Suzuki all the way! I've had 2 Mercury motors leave me stranded ( hole in block & failed oil pump), bought a used Suzuki 4 yrs ago and it has been a GREAT motor. Maintenance is cheaper too.

·
2011 21' shallowsport Bahia 150 E-TEC
2,484 Posts
Pay close attention to how each boat sits in the water static. The shoalwater use to be the worst. They may have addressed that i don't know.
But i hated how low the stern on the shoalwater sat in the water.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
99 Posts
Recommendation. Value vs Speed.

Value - svt with 175 zuke.

Speed - shoal with 250.

Anything in between is personal preference.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Just curious why you’re comparing the 20’ Tran vs the 21’ Shoalwater ? IMO the 20’ Shoalwater is closer to the 20’ Tran since it has higher sides etc. if I’m not mistaken the 21’ is a “no sides” kind of boat.
I own the 200 svt. Very solid boat, built like a tank. Will run in skinnier water than I intend on going in sometimes. Runs low 40’s with a zuke 175 and a 4 blade prop.
Donny Tran is good people, he will treat you right. Ask him if he can update the hull for a larger motor, I’ve heard he will. Speed is not the most important factor on a flats boat anyways. Might check the weight difference between that 200 and 250 and see how much draft you’re losing.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Tran builds a very solid boat and will have equal or better resale if it ever comes to that. A 200 on that 20' SVT is plenty unless you're looking for a speed boat then you're kinda defeating the purpose of running a shallow water boat. Considering the level of service you get with Tran I would say hands down the 200SVT with a Zuke.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Tran builds a very solid boat and will have equal or better resale if it ever comes to that. A 200 on that 20' SVT is plenty unless you're looking for a speed boat then you're kinda defeating the purpose of running a shallow water boat. Considering the level of service you get with Tran I would say hands down the 200SVT with a Zuke.
Spot on advice.

·
Trust me, I'm a professional.
748 Posts
Purely off of customer service, Tran. I called asking Donnie questions about the 240 SVT. He told me to come visit him so a week or two later, I did on my way to POC. He literally was going to have me take his personal boat and run it to form my own opinions but I declined the offer and traded for a longish ride with him. Tran’s boats are heavier and ride better than Shoalwater with similar top speed and equal shallow water performance when powered alike.

Suzuki is not a speed demon motor but they are extremely efficient and reliable. Mercury has been very reliable for me and are the fastest motors but not as efficient as the Suzuki. If you want a boat, both fit the bill. If you want THE boat, only Tran fits.

·
Registered
2018 Tran cat 220 svt 300 Zuke, Galveston, matty, POC
6 Posts
200 svt with the Suzuki. Not going to get the customer service or quality of build from shoalwater. Donny, Frank, TV, and even coach will do whatever needed for their customers. Tran will ride better and have way more storage, and a lot more stable. Better resale in the Tran later down the road.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts