2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace my springs. I have a McLane twin axel with a Century 2290 on it.
I saw the option to put torsen axel suspension on is that worth the trouble and expense and would it be les prone to saltwater damage than the leaf set up I now have.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I don't know how much it is to upgrade to torshion but they work great and are much less prone to failure. On the other hand you can buy springs from Heitman (610 and clinton) and it's pretty inexpensive.

·
Registered
159 Posts
i replaced springs/axles on my tandem McClain, all hardware, axles, etc were about $800. My dad and I installed them, took about 6 hours overall. I am very please with them, and it definitely makes the boat pull and ride a lot better. You can get everything you need from McClain in Houston. I had to wait a few weeks for the axles to come in, but worth the wait and worth the money IMO

·
Registered
864 Posts
If you only need springs and U-bolts you you should be able to get everything for around a hundred bucks, maybe a little more. It will be much more expensive to install torsion axles and a lot more complicated than just replacing springs. The leaf springs should last 3-4 years with no problems, maybe longer if you rinse well.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Have done the springs and u bolts twice, axles once myself.
Certainly is easy to do and like said above not more than a couple of hundred bucks, heavy duty corrosion-X included.

·
archTech
8,581 Posts
Yes, it is easy to do...I may need to do mine in the next couple of years again. I saw somewhere someone was making leaf springs out of 316 grade stainless...need to check back into that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank for the info I plan to do it in Jan. If I can afford i will put the torsen axels on, they sound like a better system.

·
Registered
571 Posts
You can order all of the parts that you need (including torsion axels) from Champion trailer parts out of Slidell LA. Their service is good and prices are very competitive.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I will probably never own leaf springs again for a trailer used in saltwater. Torsions are the way to go if you don't like messing with boat trailers. I have springs on one of my boat trailers. Requires more maintenance for sure.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Check with Polar Service Centers. 281-459-6400. Their at 7600 SAM HOUSTON PARKWAY N. @ NEW HWY 90 just a few miles North of I-10 East and beltway. I usually deal with a guy named Alex Lira but anyone else will also help. They have plenty of inventor and reasonable prices. Worth checking before dropping some hard earned cash. Good Luck

·
Registered
89 Posts
Replace the springs and u bolts and then keep them covered in LPS3 and you have done your last spring/u bolt job on that trailer. Learned that from Dave Burnett at Burnett Marine.......amazing stuff. 7 years on my springs and u bolts, they are still perfect condition.

·
Banned
2,534 Posts
Thanks pug2,

I've researched the LPS3 on the web since your post and sounds like it is the answer to our problems with the rusting springs. The SS springs sound like a good solution, also, but SS is is softer than carbon steel, so the flex and response might not be comparable. Here's their website for those interested in the LPS3:http://www.lpslabs.com/LPS_Home.html
Click on the corrosion/inhibitors and it will take you to information on the LPS3. There are about three distributors in various towns in Texas. I've got a hand held, pressurized spray tank for distributing materials like this I've traditionally used for WD-40, but this seems like a better use. If anyone else would like information on it, let me know and I'll find it and post it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts