2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
What's a Corky?
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, this is going to give away my lack of maintenance problems. My hitch is rusted, BAD. I can't even get the codder pin out! Any idea on who could get this cured, cheaply. I'm sure I could go over to U-Haul and give up my first born but I would like to do this with out spending an arm and a leg. I live in League City so if anyone happens to know anyone who could help I would appreciate it.

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
your talkin about a receiver hitch right? if you are, WD-40 might work. spray leberally on every thing thats rusted and let it soak for a while. or if your lucky and have a cuttin torch, heat it up good and hot and it'll do the trick...JJ

·
What's a Corky?
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not a bad idea

I've given it the corrosion x treatment and it didn't phase it. I can't budge it but I'm sure as soon as I'm heading down the road pulling the Kenner it will decide to brake loose! This may just be a job for the BFH !!!

·
Banned
9,560 Posts
Cut the cotter pin off even on one side of the hitch pin with a hacksaw or grinder, and leave about 1/2 inch on the other side of the hitch pin, then try to tap it through with a hammer. If it moves at all, you'll be able to pull it out with pliers. If it doesn't budge at all, cut that side off flush with the hitch pin also, then tap it through with a hammer and go buy a new hitch pin and cotter pin. Shouldn't be too difficult...I've done it before.

·
Registered
29 Posts
PB Blaster is the best penetrating lube I've ever used. You can get it at Autozone. Let it soak in for a few minutes & strike the end of the pin with a hammer & punch. Should break loose with no problem.

·
Starboard List
1,882 Posts
What kinda pin..

cfred said:
I've given it the corrosion x treatment and it didn't phase it. I can't budge it but I'm sure as soon as I'm heading down the road pulling the Kenner it will decide to brake loose! This may just be a job for the BFH !!!
I don't remember what the pin looked like in your reciver hitch. If it has the "L" shaped pin in it maybe you can stick a pipe on the elbow opposite of the pin and try turning it. This is the pin i'm talking about.
http://www.hitchesonline.com/drawbars/class1_2_pins_clips.htm
If your talking about the coupler on the trailer you can allways buy a new coupler. Just borrow my hack saw and hack the other one off.
Tehre is a replacement at the bottom of this page.
http://www.hitchesonline.com/drawbars/coupler_locks.htm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts