2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A co-worker of mine has 300 acres just south of Freer and pulled this dramatic photo off of his trail cam about a week before the season opened.

Notice the size of this cat. That is a full grown 10 point south Texas brush country buck it's dragging.

And it was a drought year?

I hope you all enjoy this pic as much as I did.

Bobby

·
Theoretical Ecologist
2,411 Posts

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL

Maybe I was duped but he showed me the pic on his cell phone and said it came from his trail cam.

Oh well.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
I have said it before, I will say it again...

Dem kitties is skeeeeery!!!

·
Theoretical Ecologist
2,411 Posts
Big cats invariably end up taking a grip on the throat area of horned game when they drag it. The weight of antlers will cause the head to rotate and even if the cat doesn't chomp down on the throat area at first, they will drop it and then pick it back up that way rather than fight it.

In this, likely PhotoShopped :eek:, photo, the cat is shown with a hold that pretty much defies physics.

·
Saw Varsity's Horns Off
554 Posts
Big cats invariably end up taking a grip on the throat area of horned game when they drag it. The weight of antlers will cause the head to rotate and even if the cat doesn't chomp down on the throat area at first, they will drop it and then pick it back up that way rather than fight it.

In this, likely PhotoShopped :eek:, photo, the cat is shown with a hold that pretty much defies physics.
Actually this photo is confirmed. I will try to find the website for you, but they have the whole series of pics, the first shows the buck fleeing, the next shows the cat dragging the deer, in the next you can clearly see the drag marks on the ground...they even show pics in the light from days later where you can still see the drag marks.

·
Theoretical Ecologist
2,411 Posts
This is the first one that shows the "drag mark" 44 minutes after the mountain lion left with the buck...

I don't know. Maybe it's real, if not someone went to some trouble to set all of this up.

I'd still content that the lion didn't maintain that same hold for very long. Even wonder if the deer was left dead there in the hope of getting that photo. Sure not any blood on the neck or anywhere that would indicate that it died from mountain lion attack.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts