2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my wife a new SUV. I checked the towing capacity before even looking and explained to the salesman and the dealership that I would use the vehicle to pull my travel trailer. My tt is lightweight (2800 lbs dry) so it falls under the towing capacity of the vehicle without a concern. I guess I had a cranial rectal inversion and overlooked the fact that the vehicle had a class II hitch. The hitch is factory installed as a tow package. I have no experience and/or knowledge of class II hitches, all of mine in the past have been calss III. I called discount hitch after discovering the vehicle had the class II hitch and they told me it is rated for 3500 lbs. I asked about changing it to a class III and they said it couldnt be done because most of the vehicles equipped with the tow package from the factory are permenantly mounted to the frame.

So my question is this: am I going to have trouble or have to worry about the class II hitch with my travel trailer? That reciever just looks so small compared to everything I have had in the past. Please give me your opinions, comments, concerns, and even maybe some possible solutions. Thanks in advance.

·
POC chunker
9,208 Posts
Equally important as the trailer weight is the tongue weight. Class IIs won't support nearly as much tongue weight as a bigger hitch. If you can find a load equalizing setup for a classII, that will take care of the tongue weight issue. But, that might be a big IF as I don't think I've ever seen an equalizer setup for that hitch class rating.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no idea what my tongue weight is. The vehicle says its rated for 575 lbs for tongue weight.
My tt is a 19' Starcraft hybrid. Before this, all I have ever pulled were my boats and a kayak trailer. How do I figure out my tongue weight short of using a scale under the jack?

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
A bathroom scale with check it up to about 300#.

Later
R3F

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Checking the man. specs for 08 models like mine (02 model) the tongue weight shouldnt exceed the limits. My older model is about 600 lbs dryweight less than the same trailer in an 08 model and its hitch weight is less than 500 lbs.

·
Getting shallower means chewing mud
1,643 Posts
I would call the dealer back and see if the 2" (Class III) hitch was even an option. If it is, then maybe they can swap it out. I know my wife's Explorer came with a Class II, but a Class III was an option. I haven't climbed underneath to see if it is built into the frame or permanently mounted though, I doubt that it is.

Worth a call to the dealer's parts department in the AM.

T

1 - 8 of 8 Posts