2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
twin engine tows??

after thinking about it, how many people have had to be towed in that have twins?? i'm not trying to start anything, cause i've had plenty of problems with boats out there but have always (w/twins) made it in on my own power. other than batteries, water in fuel, or a major electrical problem, i dont see a twin having problems. all the above can be prevented with regular maintence. i'm probably wrong, just asking.

bone

·
NRA LIFER
3,209 Posts
bone said:
after thinking about it, how many people have had to be towed in that have twins?? i'm not trying to start anything, cause i've had plenty of problems with boats out there but have always (w/twins) made it in on my own power. other than batteries, water in fuel, or a major electrical problem, i dont see a twin having problems. all the above can be prevented with regular maintence. i'm probably wrong, just asking.

bone
The main vulnerability for a boat with twins is the fuel supply. I am sure that your Grady, like mine, feeds both engines from either the main or reserve tanks at the same time. The only time I have been dead in the water was after a fillup at a Freeport marina.

I took on 120 gallons to top off my main tank. It turned out that a little more than half of that was water and scum from the bottom of the marina's tank. It took a while to clear up but they did pay for most of it.

The only good news that day was that I was on my way in and not out. The motors died just as I was backing into my slip.Both Racors and all the carbs completely full of water/slime. i got running on my reserve fuel after cleaning the carbs.

Stuff happens.............

Bob

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I have to disagree bone. I don't care what kind of boat or how many engines one has. You never know what or when something can happen out there or even inshore for that matter. I will gladly pay my $130? a year to Tow Boat US for the peace of mind.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I have towed many boats in both fresh and salt water, I have never towed a boat with twins. In 30+ years of adult boating, the only fuel issue I have seen in a twin powered boat is running out which is an operator problem. Nevertheless, I have Towboatus towing insurance and twin engines. Tow insurance is only as good as your radio communication but those twins are with you all the time. Twins are the closest thing to a buddy-boat you can have without having a buddy-boat.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
Carry back up fuel filters. Most engines have the pumps on the motor so other than the pickup in the tank and the filters what else is there if you have duel tanks and motors?

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
Yes, I have been towed with twins. I have also towed folks with twins.

Read those policies real close. Check where the 25 or 50 miles start - their dock, end of jetties, from the beach, or your home port. If its 50 miles from the beach, in Galveston you considerably less coverage.

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
food for thought............

i know of 2 instances where twins were dead in the water.

1 was lightning that fried the total electrical system .

other was a broken wire on the back of the kill switch, that couldnt be traced wiithout a meter.

Alot of us fish Matagorda and Sargent, so there is no tow boat anthing around for miles, Freeport to Port O is a pretty wide spread for no tow svc that i know of........................

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Yup, read that policy before you go to sea. I am very sure both the TowBoatUS and SeaTow services provide "in-network" coverage out to some distance from the ports they have providers (25/50/100 miles). If you have a booboo outside the network, they will pay for the first $X of the fee. I think it is around $1500.

If you are within 25 miles of Galveston or Freeport, and you motor quits, you will probably be able to hail another sport boat or commercial boat within 10 or 15 minutes. If the boat is heading home, you will probably be able to hitch a free ride.

·
Registered
406 Posts
TowBoat US

I know for a fact that the Towboat US guy out of freeport will tow up to 50nm out. I have been stranded 2x on my buddies boat at 45-50 miles and he came and got us at no charge. He said that the sea conditions make a big differnece in this though. As long as it was relatively calm (1-3's) he doesn't have a problem going up to 50. We typically only fish 1-3's.

·
Live Like No One Else.
5,391 Posts
Sounds like that might be a place for a little business oppertunity in the Sargent/ Matagorda area.

CoastalOutfitters said:
food for thought............

i know of 2 instances where twins were dead in the water.

1 was lightning that fried the total electrical system .

other was a broken wire on the back of the kill switch, that couldnt be traced wiithout a meter.

Alot of us fish Matagorda and Sargent, so there is no tow boat anthing around for miles, Freeport to Port O is a pretty wide spread for no tow svc that i know of........................

·
Registered
43 Posts
Would not go with out it.

I would not be without tow insurance from Boat US. We got towed in last may due to pumping a bunch of bad fuel. Fowel one of our motors which we had to shut down. Limped in on one engine in 4-6 footers with a 20 knot wind. We called for vessel assistance because the other motor was acting up even after changing filters. We never lost the second engine but as we were going through the jetties at 9PM, sun was going down, the sea's were super rough, with an ugly cross current and ships were running in and out of port, I was real glad I had boat US hooked up to my bow.

They pulled us all the way back to the crash basin. $900 invoice $0 balance for unlimited insurance. I definitely got my $130's worth. Those guy's are good!!!

·
Registered
676 Posts
just curious, why?

Ernest said:
Yes, I have been towed with twins. I have also towed folks with twins.

Read those policies real close. Check where the 25 or 50 miles start - their dock, end of jetties, from the beach, or your home port. If its 50 miles from the beach, in Galveston you considerably less coverage.
just curious as to why the tow with twins. fuel, electrical, etc???? the more problems i hear about the more prepared i will be. thanks.

bone

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
I had a fuel issue in 2003 which shut down one of my engines. Really it was my mistake, and it could have been avoided. The other engine would run, but conditions were such that one engine was putting my boat and other vessels in possible peril. I was in Bolivar Roads on a busy morning, so I called for the tow.

The twin boat I towed had some sort of unknown problem that shut down both engines offshore. When I arrived, they had killed the battteries trying to crank the engines and were dead in the water.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
sea raider, Zurich is the name of your ins company? I just bought a 28 foot wellcraft cuddy. Great boat but almost cant afford the insurance. I need to keep shopping so if you could help me out with a phone number or location. I'm paying 175 a month for full coverage. I also have bout us and always will

1 - 20 of 24 Posts