2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Galveston is only interested in the most wealthy of tourists, out of state tourists, and developers and what their opinion of Galveston is. While Islanders and the millions of beach goers across Galveston County and the huge city of Houston have kept this Island afloat for all these years, they matter the least to Galveston officials anymore. Galveston continues to violate the Open Beaches Act and the people's right to access their beaches. They are succeeding with their desire to run more and more public beach goers away from the Galveston beaches. Remember the previous Mayor's comments, that Houstonians come here with 1 dollar and a dirty t-shirt and don't bother to change either one? http://news.galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=33b20ae3a94f1c99

And image names article: http://news.galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=ca6f6050f2666b44

I say "The Pirates are still on the Island, they never left"!

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,165 Posts
Running beach goer's away? hmmmmm.... I sure don't want a NOLA style beachtown 45 minutes from me.... it's nice to see they are at least going to trying to clean up the town and have some nice things for a vacationing or Houston-get-away family to enjoy. Now wouldn't that be great if they brought in some white sand and got rid of all the stinky sea grass on the beach?

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Sand replentishment is Galveston's version of the "Big Dig" in Boston. Millions of tax dollars both federal, and local spent with little oversight on a never ending project.

There are kick-backs at every level of government as well as developers, promoters, and contractors.

New slogans:
When it comes to pork Galveston goes "Whole Hog" or when it comes to pork Galveston goes "hog Wild".

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
Galveston is becoming my least favorite place to visit. The Strand is beggining to decline due to stores closing ie. The Mikasa store. The streets are dirty, and there is nothing but the same kind of sovenior shops along the Strand.

Forget about the beach, its a mess & always has been, check out he area around the park don't go there after dark, nothing but ho's and dealers.

Nope, my dollar goes to Kemah.

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
I am a BOI and my parents still live on the island. I see Galveston as more attractive to tourism at this point as it has been in the nearly 30 years since I graduated from high school. Going downhill ? Heck you should have seen the joint 15 years ago.

There is more to see, eat and do down there than ever before. I guess its all about perspective and I've been as hard on Galveston as anybody but give credit where it is due. There has been massive investment down there over the last 10 years and it shows.

The politics has always been on a par with New Orleans at its worst. There is nothing new there.

·
Banned
5,088 Posts
the beach

As I stopped at the Chevron station on Stingaree road and walked up the ramp to get some ice, I overheard a lady talking to our local Constable saying that she was getting a lot of complaints from renters(she must have been a real estate person). Seems their kids are getting thrown in jail a lot. I couldn't believe this woman was complaining about this. As I walked out with my ice I threw it in the truck and came back and introduced myself to the Constable, the woman was now gone, and told him he had my full support to throw as many of those kids in jail as he possibly could cause there were a lot of vandals on the peninsula. He agreed and said they are getting calls now that people's stairs are missing. His people go out and find someone tied a rope or chain to the stairs and ripped them from the house. They follow the drag marks onto the beach and there the stairs are in a bonfire. Poor little children. I'm real sorry they get thrown in jail. :hairout:

·
Registered
775 Posts
I thought Fertita or what ever his name had plans approved for a major developement in Galveston along the beachfront and Strand..Matter of fact I hear that it will be alot larger than the one in Kemah.

529 Posts
I have lived in Galveston most of my life and can tell you for a fact Houston has had nothing to do with keeping Galveston afloat....You should get up early one monday morning and park your car on the feeder road coming into the Island and see how many cars you count coming in to Galveston...Truth is many businesses hire workers from the mainland and they commute here to their jobs. As for the politics....I think my Dad said it best when he told the city council " For an Island discovered by a Pirate, that son of a gun is still running the show" back in the 80's....lol. Now its still more of the same. But the Island is growing, tourist are coming back and many like what they see, thanks to guys like Tillman Fertitta who invest Millions of dollars into our economy. Lots of outsiders tend to think Houston has kept our island "afloat" I don't think so... Tillman is a local guy...and it is the American way to invest in something and profit from it.

·
What's a Corky?
3,107 Posts
So are you saying that all of the tourism is local????? All of the money being spent at Tillman's little show down there is coming from Houston, thus, Houston keeping Galveston afloat. Not sure how you could argue that?

·
21,165 Posts
cfred said:
So are you saying that all of the tourism is local????? All of the money being spent at Tillman's little show down there is coming from Houston, thus, Houston keeping Galveston afloat. Not sure how you could argue that?
Pretty simple to realize.. a beachtown not more than 30 minutes to 1hr from a population of 4+ million people? Now if Galveston was similar to Port Mansfield, it would definitely be strictly tourist.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I was down there Saturday with the family and some friends. We went down for the day. Met two other families that were set up next to us. One was from Alexandria, La. and the other was from Mexico. I'm sure they spent a lot more money that I did coming from Houston. The only money I spent was for dinner. They were spending money on a hotel, groceries, restaurants and probably a waterpark or other type of tourist attraction.

We enjoy going to Galeveston several times a year. Too bad I didn't have a rod with me, the surf was really flat much to the dissapointment of my boys laying on their boogie boards. I did throw my cast net just to see what was in the surf. Caught small croaker, whiting, black drum, pompano and a lot of mullet.

·
Banned
9,560 Posts
andrespurplerain said:
I have lived in Galveston most of my life and can tell you for a fact Houston has had nothing to do with keeping Galveston afloat....You should get up early one monday morning and park your car on the feeder road coming into the Island and see how many cars you count coming in to Galveston...Truth is many businesses hire workers from the mainland and they commute here to their jobs. As for the politics....I think my Dad said it best when he told the city council " For an Island discovered by a Pirate, that son of a gun is still running the show" back in the 80's....lol. Now its still more of the same. But the Island is growing, tourist are coming back and many like what they see, thanks to guys like Tillman Fertitta who invest Millions of dollars into our economy. Lots of outsiders tend to think Houston has kept our island "afloat" I don't think so... Tillman is a local guy...and it is the American way to invest in something and profit from it.
You're kidding, right? This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. Houston probably accounts for 80% of the money Galveston brings in. Tillman Fertitta is hardly a "local guy" anymore. He lives in The Woodlands, on the opposite side of Houston from Galveston. And the money he spends in Galveston comes from the profits brought in by his Houston/Kemah restaurants. Even the "tourists" in Galveston are typically there because they had to come to Houston for one reason or another and decided to run down to the beach for a day or two and wade through the seaweed. There are two things Galveston is good for....keeping the seaweed away from the mainland and taking the brunt of the storm surge during a hurricane. ;)

·
21,165 Posts
ShadMan said:
Tillman Fertitta is hardly a "local guy" anymore. He lives in The Woodlands, on the opposite side of Houston from Galveston.
You sure about that?

I've always wondered who was in this huge huge huge house off Willowick in River Oaks... recently was told that is his house... supposedly it's the highest priced house on the Harris county tax roll... who knows.

·
Banned
9,560 Posts
It seems like I did hear about him buying in River Oaks. I'm not sure, though. I know he used to live in The Woodlands, before I moved to Denver.

EDIT: Yep, I just looked it up. He's in River Oaks. Still a long drive from Galveston...

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
ShadMan said:
You're kidding, right? This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. Houston probably accounts for 80% of the money Galveston brings in. Tillman Fertitta is hardly a "local guy" anymore. He lives in The Woodlands, on the opposite side of Houston from Galveston. And the money he spends in Galveston comes from the profits brought in by his Houston/Kemah restaurants. Even the "tourists" in Galveston are typically there because they had to come to Houston for one reason or another and decided to run down to the beach for a day or two and wade through the seaweed. There are two things Galveston is good for....keeping the seaweed away from the mainland and taking the brunt of the storm surge during a hurricane. ;)
Aw man, where's the love?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
If they want more people to enjoy the beaches, then how bout installing a few showers to rinse off. Almost almost every beach I surf or fish at has decent showers. Even Surfside has them, if they can do it how come Galveston can't?

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
Shadman,

It seems that you are a semi big hitter on this board and I have no deep seated desire to lock internet horns with you, BUT.... your attitudes towards my birthplace and home town do strike a bit of a nerve. It kinda rankles my feathers a bit to hear that my birth place is only good as a seaweed and hurricane buffer.

Galvestonians, if they are nothing else, they are survivors. If you choose not to grace our little sandbar anymore, well, we'll work around it.

I'm finished and I saw the smiley.

·
Salty Dawg
7,685 Posts
ShadMan said:
There are two things Galveston is good for....keeping the seaweed away from the mainland and taking the brunt of the storm surge during a hurricane. ;)
You forgot about it being a great place to find some crack rocks or to find hookers or just being a great place to experience a stinking ghetto where you aren't safe to walk down the street. I'm building the new house in Dickinson to get away from this place.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts