2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is really sad! Is there anyway to set up a 2cool relief fund to help? Maybe send the proceeds directly to the Moore Fire Department to distribute the funds collected. I think all of us on the board could spare $5 to this cause. Mont any ideas?

·
Unorthodox Millenial
8,156 Posts
If they accept Paypal I would be willing to take any money and send it at once. I don't know how to set up a donation Paypal account.

Prayers sent out.

·
Premium Member
40,471 Posts
This is just horrible for all these people involved.

We need to allow them to get setup on sites so we know where things/funds can be sent. I doubt the FD will be getting any mail. Food/water will need to be taken in by Red Cross or some other large agency. I'm sure the FEMA and Red Cross will be asking soon and the information should be on TV as the best way to help.

·
Did Somebody Say Tacos?
11,513 Posts
I just made a call to the Chambers County Red Cross coordinator...vmail... I'll see if she can point us in the right direction as to who to talk to or if she can coordinate it for us.

Prayers sent.

Reminds me of Bama a few years back.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
There's a way to do it and do it as a 2cool fund, or any group name would work. Only other board I frequent is work related and we raised a ton of money for a fellow employee and his family that's house was flattened by Ike.

Bill or Mont would be better equipped knowledge wise at getting this ball rolling if they wanted to, but it seems like one member of my company web board set up a PayPal account and we all paid what we could swing. In the case I was part of, the employee that set up the PayPal account directed all of the funds to a bank account dedicated to the employee who's house was flattened. We rebuilt his house btw.

I'd love to see a block of funds sent from 2Cool. I'd trust the admins here if they set up the PayPal account and I'd also trust any member they signed off on to do it. Failing that, we can all send to Red Cross or other groups. But wouldn't it be cool to see a massive number that was specifically sent from all of us at 2Cool?

·
Aspiring professional pot-stirrer.
20,196 Posts
I'm all for it, but let's cool our jets a bit: how about finding out where the money needs to go before just complicating their lives with funds coming from everywhere TO everywhere..

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Watching the coverage, it looks like the storms will ramp up again tomorrow in the area. Just horrible. It's amazing more people aren't dead. The destruction is unbelievable. I'm sure like in the West incident, accounts will be set up at local banks to take donations. That may be something to look into. It would be nice to see a single large donation come from the members here.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Count me in too. I have a cousin that lives in Moore, just got an email from her dad. She and her baby got out in time, house is tore up and they are in a hotel for the night.

·
Registered
9,576 Posts
There are, and will be, many ways to contribute financial aid if your motivation is to make a donation. The Red Cross, your church, your neighbor's church, etc. as well as the media will likely announce various organizations/entities/funds accepting checks.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
agreed with the jet cooling. How bout if Admin sets up a temp thread to get all members notified?
All for jet cooling as well. I just wanted to point out that if enough wanted a 2Cool fund, it can happen. We know it would be needed, just need to figure out which agency or agencies need it most.

Failing that we'll still do what Americans have always done. Just donate individually to organizations we decide on individually. We're a wonderful country and aid will pour in.

·
Still trying to figure it all out
10,506 Posts
I live about 20 miles north of the Moore tornado area. It has been tough watching parents waiting for information on their children. We had news reporters break down in tears on the air when word came that the rescue mission at one of the elementary schools had switched to a recovery mission with cadaver dogs. The schools had held the kids after school in an attempt to keep them safe.

There had been reports of hundreds of people walking away from the area with understandably dazed looks in their eyes. They have no other means of transportation because their vehicles were destroyed, and even if they had a vehicle the debris was blocking many roads. OKC is reportedly moving buses to take those wandering to shelter.

The Orr Family Farm had about 75 horses killed, and expected to put many more down.

The path of this storm was quite similar to the F5 tornado that struck Moore, Oklahoma, on May 3, 1999.

Two quick methods to donate:

American Red Cross
The American Red Cross has several shelters open in Oklahoma and Red Cross Emergency Response Vehicles have begun delivering hot meals throughout the affected areas. The Red Cross is also working to link loved ones in Moore who are OK through a website called Safe and Well. Text REDCROSS to 90999 to give $10 to American Red Cross Disaster Relief, donate online, or donate by phone at 1-800-RED CROSS.

Salvation Army
The Salvation Army is activating disaster response teams and mobile feeding units to help residents and rescuers in Moore, Okla., as well as in other locations in the Plains and the Midwest that were impacted by tornadoes. Donate online or text STORM to 80888 to contribute $10 to the Salvation Army's relief efforts or make a donation by phone at 1-800-SAL-ARMY. If you're sending a check make sure you put the words "Oklahoma Tornado Relief" on the check, and mail it to: The Salvation Army, P.O. Box 12600, Oklahoma City, OK., 73157.

The above charity links are from USA today:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/05/20/help-tornado-victims/2344493/

Obviously, I am sure that the two above charities, or the charity of your choice would appreciate any 2cooler contribution, whether individually, or collectively.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
the above post is correct. I am off tomorrow and was thinking what I could do as I am not far away either. but the bottom line is you won't be able to get close enough to help, the govt will be throwing money where ever it is needed, the moore FD is also a government entity. red cross, etc always accepts donations, but there really isn't any more to do. maybe some local shelters could use some cash? terrible situation for sure, god bless those kids. I'm going to go home and hug my kid in about 15 minutes

1 - 20 of 68 Posts